Inverter generators: Honda EU2000i vs Yam EF2000is

Status
Not open for further replies.
One could look at the ownership cost in terms of simple purchase price and say sure this one half price half price, but that ignores the cost to operate.

There is no free lunch you either pay up front or pay as you go.

All other things being equal - At 10K hours the Yamaha will have needed 34 inspections, The honda 50, and the Champion 100 inspections.

If you do the work yourself how long does it take you? - and whats your time worth to you? Im sure a shop will charge at least an hour of time for this.

On its face it seem like a simple Pay me now- pay me later equation. No one particularly worse than the other per se, but but not the same thing for sure.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cronk

I know most of us have been bit by a cheap no name brand purchase we regret, but Champion has become a well respected brand and does not fall in that category.

I do the same thing and I recently bought a junko Chinese WEN. So far it has been flawless...but it is only say 12 hours. I am not a Honda fanboy and honestly don't own anything Honda and felt the Toro self propelled lawnmower compared to Honda was a better value (considering I am 71)

Champion is known to be bottom of the barrel and the odds are very high (IMHO) the AVERAGE service life of the Honda will be many times the life of the Champion.

If the reliability requirement of the unit must be high you would be foolish to buy the Champion as a single replacement. If you go that route buy 2 smaller Champions to get the needed reliability. If I required the reliability of my WEN to be high, I would have bought a second unit (f0r $180)

Last edited:
Any comments on the comparable Briggs and Stratton inverter generators? Their construction style generators are very good.

I’m currently looking for a 2000 watt inverter generator. I have a 5500 watt construction style Homelite that’s been great. It’s just very noisy with the 11hp Briggs.

In this morning's local newspaper, there is an advertisement for a Honda power equipment sales event at ACE Hardware. The Honda EU7000is inverter generator (fuel injected, electric start, 7000W) is on sale for "only" $4000. Snowblowers are also on sale: The Honda 36" blower (electric chute, electric track drive) is "only" $8000.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
Any comments on the comparable Briggs and Stratton inverter generators? Their construction style generators are very good.

I’m currently looking for a 2000 watt inverter generator. I have a 5500 watt construction style Homelite that’s been great. It’s just very noisy with the 11hp Briggs.

They look well featured and have reviewed well (sean at loloho) , but I can't get into any manuals to see what Id be signing up for - maybe someone with their 2K could help us out and post up something.

Given how many seasons Ive had their mowers last with no maintenance Id think they could turn out a very competitive product.

UD

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
In this morning's local newspaper, there is an advertisement for a Honda power equipment sales event at ACE Hardware. The Honda EU7000is inverter generator (fuel injected, electric start, 7000W) is on sale for "only" $4000.

That's the street price just about everywhere for the EU7000.

"My Onan 8K (kubota D722) needed the exhaust valves adjusted a tiny bit at 2000 hours and at 4500 house they are all starting to move around a bit but still all in spec. The kubota is a diesel inverter and spools up which is where I believe the slight movement comes from."

Do you have any idea what the engine operating rpm range is for the Onan/kubota generator? In addition, what is your average fuel consumption under moderate load?

My D850 Kubota coupled to a 6.5 KW alternator burns approx. one litre per hour under light to moderate load (less than 2000 watts). That's why I bought the little Yamaha that generally only powers approx. 300 to 500 watts for lights, a TV and satellite receiver. The fuel savings alone paid for the Yamaha in three years.

Originally Posted By: FastLane
Briggs manual says nothing of valve adjustment. Interesting.

I’m debating on which inverter generator to buy.

Be careful to establish with certainty if the make/model you're paying for is not made in China. No sense paying a premium price for a Honda or Yamaha if it's Chinese built. If, as some have mentioned, the quality of the product has dropped, why continue to pay top dollar for it?

As much as I appreciate my Yamaha EF2000is, there's no way I'd lay down $1500.00 plus CDN for one made in China.

Rest assured the dealership will be reluctant to specify where the product is made if it's not built in Japan. Any hesitation on their part to show "Made in Japan" documentation/proof, will be a clear indicator that it's not.

That is my issue with most of the generators. Made in China. I don’t mind paying the money if it lasts. I might go look at the Honda today.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
"My Onan 8K (kubota D722) needed the exhaust valves adjusted a tiny bit at 2000 hours and at 4500 house they are all starting to move around a bit but still all in spec. The kubota is a diesel inverter and spools up which is where I believe the slight movement comes from."

Do you have any idea what the engine operating rpm range is for the Onan/kubota generator? In addition, what is your average fuel consumption under moderate load?

My D850 Kubota coupled to a 6.5 KW alternator burns approx. one litre per hour under light to moderate load (less than 2000 watts). That's why I bought the little Yamaha that generally only powers approx. 300 to 500 watts for lights, a TV and satellite receiver. The fuel savings alone paid for the Yamaha in three years.

Havent seen the RPM range on the little d722 units.

Heres the consumption spec on the onan8K

Idles at .13 GPH
Half power is .49 GPH
Full power is 1.01 GPH

I think my single speed powertech might do a bit better.

In terms of GPH per KW hour its going to be hard to beat the diesel simply because the fuel has more energy

A Honda 2K get something like .17 at 1600 watts, and .28 at 400 watts,

The RV QD8000 is like .12 at 8000 watts, and .159 at 4000 watts.

Maybe the Yamaha runs better than the honda - its a little smaller.

UD

https://powersuite.cummins.com/PS5/PS5Co...8967.1507052546

Last edited:
UD:

I checked out the link.

Kind of unusual that it would be labeled as a Cummins Onan but powered by a Kubota diesel?

Reminds me of the smaller John Deere tractors that are built by Kioti or other foreign manufacturers but carry the JD name despite having nothing to do with John Deere other than the paint scheme.

UD:

I checked out the link.

Kind of unusual that it would be labeled as a Cummins Onan but powered by a Kubota diesel?

Reminds me of the smaller John Deere tractors that are built by Kioti or other foreign manufacturers but carry the JD name despite having nothing to do with John Deere other than the paint scheme.

Yeah Onan went to Kubota for their water cooled diesels - then Cummins acquired Onan. Ive got 2 of these 8000's now in dog grooming vans - they are real sweet pieces.

Powertech started out with the Cat 3011c/C1 , then switched over to Kubota as well.

The cat engine engines is an incestuous little engine being manufactured by Cat themselves, Perkins, and Shibura in Japan - hence the Perkapillar / shiburapillar monikers.
There are thousands of these units in bobcats and thermo Kings coolers you se mounted to trucks, Ive sene the, with 30K hours on them.

Growing up in Peoria (well pekin actually) Im a cat guy through and through.

I suspect the cost of the unit was the swayer.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
UD:

I checked out the link.

Yeah Onan went to Kubota for their water cooled diesels - then Cummins acquired Onan. Ive got 2 of these 8000's now in dog grooming vans - they are real sweet pieces.

Powertech started out with the Cat 3011c/C1 , then switched over to Kubota as well.

The cat engine engines is an incestuous little engine being manufactured by Cat themselves, Perkins, and Shibura in Japan - hence the Perkapillar / shiburapillar monikers.
There are thousands of these units in bobcats and thermo Kings coolers you se mounted to trucks, Ive sene the, with 30K hours on them.

Growing up in Peoria (well pekin actually) Im a cat guy through and through.

I suspect the cost of the unit was the swayer.

UD

Having owned the Kubota D850 powered generator for 34 years (6500 hours) of flawless performance, I'm somewhat of a Kubota guy when it comes to small diesels.

I can certainly understand that, I must say I'm impressed by them myself.

Kubota 1 has 4600 hours on it, runs at least 4 or more hours a day sometimes 8-10 in the summer, M-F 50 weeks a year. Sips fuel and runs like a watch.

Kubota 2 is brand new 10 hours still waiting for the vehicle to be completed.

UD

Here's a list of where USA-spec Honda Generator are manufactured:

37514404001_099cc8cbc4_o.png

That would be nice. Its a show of confidence really.

That said a new line with good people can turn out nice product anywhere.

Macs and iPhones are made in China so you can get high quality goods from many areas.

That said "Made in Japan" means something and gives me peace of mind without supporting info, anywhere else but Japan and the United Sates, Germany (EU) The UK and Canada has to prove itself to me before I get that same warm fuzzy on purchases of items of substance like gensets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back