Interesting day with trailers

Was heading home today from a trip to the upper reaches of Northern California. Went through windy mountain roads where RV drivers dinghy towing cars were more adventurous than me.

But my “navigator” saw an empty trailer that was swaying from side to side and thought I should avoid that lane in case it really swerved. But the real doozy was the boat trailer that was seemingly falling apart. The brake lamp lens was shattered and slowly shedding bits that I was avoiding from the next lane along with black stuff. Got a better look and the rear left tire was blown and it was riding mostly on the bare wheel with sparks flying. I guess the force was enough that the debris shattered the lens and then the rumbling of the bare wheel caused it to lose more bits. I’ve never seen that before. I’ve seen brake lamp lenses broken in collisions, but this was a solo event.

We were following a wildly swaying travel trailer on the interstate in Montana. I was certain we were going to see a trailer-sway accident and refused to pass him. We followed him for about 30 miles before he exited. The driver had terrible judgement continuing to pull his trailer when it was jerking him all over the road. It was an exciting 30 miles, even though we were only going 55.

I was watching one of those tiny one-axle flat trailers bounce all over the road a few years ago; it would become airborne with every bump or joint in the pavement. I'm not familiar enough with hitches to know what all keeps it on the ball, but it worried me enough I got around that guy at my first opportunity.

In NH it’s morons out of state with dinky snowmobile trailers headed north driving 80 -90 MPH with larger pickups with no f given the trailers are swaying behind them in the passing lane.

Small unloaded trailers airborne over bumps, normal.
Sled haulers going 80-90 with small tire trailers, stay back and wait for the tire blow out. Those 10'' rim tires are only 65 mph speed rated. Many bigger trailer tires are also speed rated at 65 also as many drivers don't know their limitations never mind correct inflation.

In NH it’s morons out of state with dinky snowmobile trailers headed north driving 80 -90 MPH with larger pickups with no f given the trailers are swaying behind them in the passing lane.
Yeah I see a lot of idiots with trucks pulling campers and other trailers doing 80-90 in the passing lane.

My #1 rule of driving, the second I spot a trailer i go 2 lanes away and pass quickly or let them pass quickly.

We were often going through single lane in each direction highways. Every once in a while there might be a passing lane.

And we were going down I-5 from Redding, California. That’s only two lanes in our direction. When the boat trailer was shedding little bits of tire and plastic, everyone behind was scrambling to avoid it. It was a medium sized boat and the trailer had two closely spaced axles and fairly small tires. The tires couldn’t have been more than 12 inches high.

Back