Installing a hatch release

Hello i have a Ford Windstar and was wondering if it is possible to install a rear hatch switch/release so it can be opened from the inside?

If it is possible, can someone explain the process and the parts needed? Thanks

Last edited:
Were they available as an option? If so, the wiring might already be in the car and you would just need to add the switch and release motor in the hatch.
Good point. I'm a bit surprised it doesn't have one already, but I'm not sure how old Windstar is.

If it was an option, I wonder if it could be rigged up, via junkyard parts or Dorman. Hopefully it's electrically driven, not a cable--cable is just more work, electrically should just be 2 wires and a switch.

If it was an option, I wonder if it could be rigged up, via junkyard parts or Dorman. Hopefully it's electrically driven, not a cable--cable is just more work, electrically should just be 2 wires and a switch.
Sorry i don't understand the difference. The van has rear window defroster and windshield wiper so there seems to be electrical connections present, if that counts? The passenger doors are also power operated.

Sorry i don't understand the difference. The van has rear window defroster and windshield wiper so there seems to be electrical connections present, if that counts? The passenger doors are also power operated.
They could have rigged up a cable to yank on the release—or used an electric solenoid. Whatever was cheaper and easier.

They could have rigged up a cable to yank on the release—or used an electric solenoid. Whatever was cheaper and easier.
As it stands the vehicle does not have a release on the inside. It is a mod i am considering.

As it stands the vehicle does not have a release on the inside. It is a mod i am considering.
You need to take the interior panel off on hatch and figure out if you can tug anything (gently) while closer and if the hatch will release. If yes you can attach a cable with handle to tug.

Alternatively does the vehicle have a remote release for hatch already anywhere in vehicle or key fob? (Rare option then)

This would be a fun project with enough time available. I bet you could adapt a latch mechanism from something similar-- maybe another minivan or a trunk latch or something.

My buddy used to have a rifle mounted to the ceiling of his Bronco. It was "locked in" but released by pushing a hidden button. He told me it utilized a GM trunk release and apparently this is not uncommon

Doubt it unless you touch a button on open. Is the latch or operation mechanical.
The only way to open the rear hatch is from the outside when the car is fully unlocked (not only the driver side but all 4 sides).

Hello i have a Ford Windstar and was wondering if it is possible to install a rear hatch switch/release so it can be opened from the inside?
Back up a second here. Are you saying you want to be able to open the hatch while you are standing inside the cargo area behind the rear seat? I though you meant if you can unlock it from the inside and then open it from the outside. Why would you want to open it from the inside unless maybe you use the back for camping or something?

Back up a second here. Are you saying you want to be able to open the hatch while you are standing inside the cargo area behind the rear seat? I though you meant if you can unlock it from the inside and then open it from the outside. Why would you want to open it from the inside unless maybe you use the back for camping or something?
Bingo! I tried to make OP clearer but it was past the time allowed to edit. yes to all,

Once the the hatch is unlocked electrically, you have to mechanically release it with the handle to open it. Transferring that motion to the inside to release the latch would pretty much be a hack job if even practical. Maybe move up to the newer model vans with power liftgates if that is so important.

Our 2005 Sienna has an "emergency" release for the rear hatch. It's under a removeable cover in the hatch plastic inside cover. Here's a picture (not mine) of the manual release. Pretty sure all vans have to have something like that in case of being trapped inside (same with sedans trunk lid release from the inside) as its a mandated safety requirement. You need to check a bit further on where it is on the windstar.

1703783442305.jpg

Back