installed Linux,then problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much I can really add to what the other guys have mentioned at this point. If the install image on the USB stick is hosed up, then you would need to overwrite it with a new install image.

I think if you follow Quattro Pete and Monkeyman's directions to reinstall you should be good.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
This topic has me really intrigued. I would absolutely love to try this to eliminate windows permanantly. I've made it known I'm as far from a techie as one could be. Would this be possible for someone like me to achieve without much headache? If I'm understanding this correctly it would be a good way to capitalize on an older computer and get better performance. Am I misunderstanding?

And to show my ignorance even more, could someone please explain all the different programs ie. Linux, Mint, Ubuntu (and all the others I can't remember). My head gets scrambled trying to keep up. Which one should a novice like me use for simple web surfing, banking, email etc... Appreciate any help you can provide.

Linux is a kernel or core of an OS. Think of it as an engine; one that you can use for free and use freely (so "free" means *both* "no-cost" and "freedom"). Anyone, therefore, can take this kernel and couple it with applications (as you might couple all manners of difference components and hardware with an engine to manufacture a functioning vehicle around your engine). Google, Android and ChromeOS use the Linux kernel as well as dozens and dozens of Linux-based OS's called "distributions". Each distribution has a purpose (Some are servers, some are lightweight desktops, others full-fledged desktops; some are meant to be stable while other are crafted to use cutting-edge versions of software.) and each distribution has its own community of developers. Some of these communities are large, some have commercial backing, others are loosely-based global networks on nerds.

The most popular distribution for home desktop use is Ubuntu. There are many, many distributions who then base their OS off of Ubuntu (which is encouraged). One of these projects is Linux Mint. Both of these vett and include mountains of software in their OS and test and release new versions for you through one central software management application; so no having to go all over the internet getting and installing software and subsequent updates.

You also have many, many choices about which "Desktops" to use with any given distribution. Some are flashy and pretty while others are fast and bare-bones. A Desktop is constituted of the taskbars and menus and window management as well as the system's settings, etc.

So you can be running Linux Mint with the KDE Desktop or Ubuntu with the Gnome Desktop or Fedora with a XFCE desktop or... Well, you get the picture. The options are almost limitless; and of course you have the freedom to mix, match and even write your own additions to this anarchic chaos. To get a sense of how many distributions there are out there, check out www.distrowatch.com

Almost all of this software is developed by volunteers and/ or non-profits for *your* benefit. These individuals and organizations ask nothing in return (and certainly don't harvest data about you like Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc.!); but also offer no responsibility to give a darn what you think about what they're doing. The code used to make this software is open for all to see and free for all to use. These projects all share their code with each other so that if a vulnerability is found and one community fixes it, they will share that fix with everyone else. The same goes for general improvements. Much of the software that runs the internet and that we use often is "open-source": Firefox, VLC, LibreOffice and OpenOffice as well as the Apache web server, PHP scripting language and MySQL database upon which BITOG runs.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Never understood the infatuation with Mint, but whatever.
I've never messed with any Linux o/s ever. I was going by what someone here recommended.

Yes I know, it's the most touted on here. Call me an elitist or whatever, but if you want a "stable" version just get Ubuntu LTS. I have my own qualms against LTS but at least Ubuntu has a WAYYYYY bigger community than mint.

I booted from flashdrive, the linux logo came up,then it said that it would boot or start, in 10 seconds,then it counted down, then a bunch of lines came up and it stopped there.

Ok, now I booted, it went to the desktop. I had forgot to click on "install linux Mint" It's now loading.....And now I get a box where it states something about a partition. I click on the 1 to add one and a box says that the installer crashed. The desktop is still up and looks like I can access evrything like before. How do I add my wifi? Can I d/l the Mint this way? I'm that CLOSE!!! hahahaha

Most of the time I just burned the ISO to a DVD. Put it in, making sure DVD is first choice to boot by pressing F12.

It will give a choices like try, install, test memory, etc. Choose install. If it skips that menu Mint will load as trying it from DVD. I right click mounted DVD on Desktop that says Install Linux Mint, then click on Execute. I have done it with a USB drive only a few times. From a DVD or CD it is slower, but I find it less complicated to set up.

You are downloading 64 bit version? That is what my dual core similar to yours uses.

Make sure your Wifi is turned on at router and on computer. My Thinkpad has a switch. Had it turned off and had the darnedest time figuring it out.

By the speaker in toolbar should be an icon to click that shows networks available. Click on your network and type in password.

Last edited:
This was the free junk laptop? Might consider if it has hardware issues beyond a HDD.
laptops live a hot hard life and 10 years is a decent lifespan.

IF it is giving you errors

DETAILS on exactly what you did to cause the error is important..
you can even snap photos with a phone and post here if needed.(error screens)

The help you get here will be as good as the effort you put into being accurate and through in describing your issues.

Originally Posted By: Rand
This was the free junk laptop? Might consider if it has hardware issues beyond a HDD.
laptops live a hot hard life and 10 years is a decent lifespan.

IF it is giving you errors

DETAILS on exactly what you did to cause the error is important..
you can even snap photos with a phone and post here if needed.(error screens)

The help you get here will be as good as the effort you put into being accurate and through in describing your issues.
No, I paid 30 for it. 6 posts or so before, I did post error page. HDD was replaced with SSD and it works great now. I have Linux running off USB right now, I'm trying to figure out how to enable wifi. I did the other day I had this working,just forgot how.

Back out of the install process to the Home page. On the welcome screen select drivers. If your wifi is working you'll soon enough know. If not, plug in an ethernet cable, if available, and try again. Update if required.

If you don't intend to run as a dual boot off the same drive then don't bother creating another partition. You could, however, delete the existing partitions through "Gparted" prior to install then create a new one. This might ease the installation but it is usually not necessary.

click on install > select all 3rd party drivers > select the default option to overwrite existing drive deleting all files

Originally Posted By: ndfergy
Back out of the install process to the Home page. On the welcome screen select drivers. If your wifi is working you'll soon enough know. If not, plug in an ethernet cable, if available, and try again. Update if required.

If you don't intend to run as a dual boot off the same drive then don't bother creating another partition. You could, however, delete the existing partitions through "Gparted" prior to install then create a new one. This might ease the installation but it is usually not necessary.

click on install > select all 3rd party drivers > select the default option to overwrite existing drive deleting all files
What home page? Mint is the only OS that I'll have on this laptop. Where do I find Gparted?

Originally Posted By: ndfergy

What home page? Mint is the only OS that I'll have on this laptop. Where do I find Gparted?

He means the Mint desktop.

This is turning into quite the ordeal Dave... LOL

Yes, as Overkill stated, that's what I meant. You might want to look at a youtube tutorial. It's hard to diagnose what you're seeing.

FYI - My parents were both very successful professionals but when it comes to modern technology they're hopeless. Hence, no worries if you're a little overwhelmed at the moment.

You will need to install GParted. Go to Menu, in Search window type GParted. It will list it as an option to install. Click on it. Enter password and press enter. That is how I just installed it. The next time you type it in Search you will see it installed.

Though I have never used it. I have the KISS philosophy with Linux. Keep it Simple.

When OVERKILL posts I listen. He is brilliant. I am learning.
grin.gif

Why does the OP need GParted?

I read all those earlier comments about how simple and easy it is to install Mint, yet suddenly the OP needs to perform an extra step which is not mentioned in any of the install guides I've seen. How is an average user supposed to know this? Or is it just because the OP's machine is somehow hosed?

Laptop's running good now. I connected with Ethernet, d/led Mint. Now I just open and run it and take the flash drive out? That should do it, right?

Laptop's running good now. I connected with Ethernet, d/led Mint. Now I just open and run it and take the flash drive out? That should do it, right?

Did the install process complete as has been described a few times now?

If you are running it off flash drive like I did at a certain point it would crash. At least it did for me until I installed on the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back