installed Linux,then problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
Take it slow, give some more details, and we'll get it figured out.

What a terrific resource to have guys like Mike around.
YES SIR!!!

So now do I erase what's on the flash-drive, re-download, then have it boot from flash again and it'll start over fresh? How can I erase whatever's on the laptop now?

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I d/l'ed Driver Booster from Iobit.com . I 've always used it and never had problems.

But why??? Did you have a problem that needed fixing? Why try to fix what's not broken?

In any case, I don't see Driver Booster being available for Linux.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
https://zorinos.com/

I just went from Windows 10 to this linux build and love it! I didnt use any driver installs either.

The last I understood, Zorin - like Mint - is Ubuntu-based and would therefore be privy to the same drivers, same kernel, etc.

That is correct and they get their updates from the Ubuntu server.

So now do I erase what's on the flash-drive, re-download, then have it boot from flash again and it'll start over fresh? How can I erase whatever's on the laptop now?

Did you go through the actual install process? If so, why are you still using the flash drive?

Also, windows executables don't run on Linux and that "driver updater" is a steaming pile of faecal matter, Windows or not. Don't use that garbage.

If you have an ISO image on a flash stick, it can be reused. Just boot from the flash again and reinstall. Tell the installer to reformat the whole SSD and do a complete install.

If you only have 2 GB of RAM look at a "light" Linux or install more RAM. A full-fledged Ubuntu on 2 GB is not very happy.

That "driver booster" thing is a Windows thing. Quit doing that. Linux has a completely different approach to drivers. In general, installing any software other than with the Software Manager or the Updater should be considered an advanced topic and don't do it. Don't download and run stuff from web sites.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Never understood the infatuation with Mint, but whatever.
I've never messed with any Linux o/s ever. I was going by what someone here recommended.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Did you go through the actual install process? If so, why are you still using the flash drive?

Also, windows executables don't run on Linux and that "driver updater" is a steaming pile of faecal matter, Windows or not. Don't use that garbage.

I don't know if it was a complete install or not. I have never used this O/S. It seemed to be working all right. So how do I know if it's a complete install?

This topic has me really intrigued. I would absolutely love to try this to eliminate windows permanantly. I've made it known I'm as far from a techie as one could be. Would this be possible for someone like me to achieve without much headache? If I'm understanding this correctly it would be a good way to capitalize on an older computer and get better performance. Am I misunderstanding?

And to show my ignorance even more, could someone please explain all the different programs ie. Linux, Mint, Ubuntu (and all the others I can't remember). My head gets scrambled trying to keep up. Which one should a novice like me use for simple web surfing, banking, email etc... Appreciate any help you can provide.

Last edited:

I don't know if it was a complete install or not. I have never used this O/S. It seemed to be working all right. So how do I know if it's a complete install?

You would have gone through an install process where you choose the location for the OS, it installs it, which takes a bit, and then it wants to reboot, where it loads from the new install. It is quite possible you just ran it as a "live" install from the flash stick and you have since, buggered that up.

You would have gone through an install process where you choose the location for the OS, it installs it, which takes a bit, and then it wants to reboot, where it loads from the new install. It is quite possible you just ran it as a "live" install from the flash stick and you have since, buggered that up.
Yeah, that sounds about right. So how do I fix this?

Which one sounds right? I gave two scenarios, LOL

When I do an install it will just keep on updating right after the install. Just give it a little time. The Update Manager will let you know when an update is ready for an update. You just type in the password and it pretty much does the rest.

After some updates you may need to restart your browser. Firefox may crash after doing a Firefox update. Most times it does not affect browsing, unlike Windows which tended to slow down everything.

Mint is not for everyone, but after trying 10 or so distros I keep coming back to Mint. It just does what I need it to do. My favourite is Mint XFCE which is a lighter version of Mint. Probably due to installing on older computers and notice it is a little faster on them. My last install was latest version of Mint and like someone said 2 gb of dimm was not enough. With 3 gb does OK. With XFCE 2 gb seems adequate.

Last, the expertise here is amazing. I read posts by those here that are more computer literate and follow what they say. I am not that computer literate, but do OK with good teachers. Mint is not Windows. There is a learning curve. Give it some time.

daves66nova said:
OVERKILL said:

don't know if it was a complete install or not. I have never used this O/S. It seemed to be working all right. So how do I know if it's a complete install? It nwver wanted to do a reboot.

If you look at bottom right on taskbar. See the shield with the green check mark. That means it is up to date. If you click on it opens Update Manager. Click on Refresh. If there are updates you will see them listed. You may have to check some boxes to choose what you want to update. Then type in password, press Enter. It does the rest.

I normally just let Mint look for updates automatically. Pretty much what I described above after I see updates are available.

Regarding reboot mine never asks for one. Rarely after an update things may not run properly until I do a reboot or whoever did the update got some things wrong. My computer may run a little poorly until the next update where things are corrected.

Like I said close Firefox if you update Firefox. It crashed on every computer with Linux unless I closed the browser first after updating Firefox.

Otherwise, I have logged over 1,000 hours with Linux. The glitches that rarely happen is nothing compared to what I experienced with Windows. For the most part you just turn on the computer and use it with very little maintenance.

daves66nova said:
OVERKILL said:

don't know if it was a complete install or not. I have never used this O/S. It seemed to be working all right. So how do I know if it's a complete install? It nwver wanted to do a reboot.

If you never rebooted, you were running off the flash stick/live disk the entire time.

Can you start the computer up with Linux without the flash drive inserted? If not, then it is not installed on your hard drive.

If installed you set up a name and password. Last step it will ask you to remove your media/USB and reboot. After that no need for the USB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back