Inconvenient sump capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep buying the jugs of oil and buy only one quart container. Just reuse your quart container each time by adding just the right amount from your extra jug. Keep the cap on it between uses so that it does not get dirty.

Marauder, 6 quarts. Freestyle, 6 quarts. Ford Tractor, 6 quarts. Hyundai Santa Fe, 5.5. Kia Optima, 4.8. Santa Fe is the most annoying. Second most annoying is the 6 quart stuff. $21 for a jug of 5 quarts and $7 for an extra quart? Makes total sense. Only car I can dump a jug into is the Optima. Currently converting the whole fleet to Valvoline Synthetic 5-30 for simplicity's sake. Then the only different animal will be the Torino with its Amsoil stuff but that doesn't bother me. It's special.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cb450sc
Keep buying the jugs of oil and buy only one quart container. Just reuse your quart container each time by adding just the right amount from your extra jug. Keep the cap on it between uses so that it does not get dirty.

Or just dump it in out of the 5qt jug. They all have quart marks on them and then you don't have to keep and empty bottle laying around.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It is what it is. I don’t let things like that bug me.

Buy a extra quart, put half in and save the other half for the next change.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Simple Recommendation: Buy two or more jugs of oil and use these plastic Graduated cylinders. After your first couple of oil changes record the exact amount of oil required with and without a filter and note that in your owner's manual.

https://www.globescientific.com/cylinder...ASAAEgJQ_vD_BwE

Last edited:
^^^ darnit, I screwed that up by going to the gym this morning! Maybe I'll tell my wife that the hour we lose this weekend was the hour I had planned on cleaning up dog poop in the backyard
laugh.gif

The issue isn't the fractional sump sizes like my 3.7 quart or others with venerable 4.4 quart sumps etc ET AL, the real issue is these oil and lube sops that won't check or wait long enough to both drain oil as well as get the fractions right, it's like they never did fractions in class or weren't any good at them.

Yeah I'd put 6 quarts in. If anyone thinks 0.3 will break something, they have OCD issues.

As SR5 said, we have 6L jugs here. Maybe those are your options:

Just put in 6

or

Move to Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back