Inconvenient sump capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VolkswagenFox21
That annoys me too! My FRS takes 5.4L and I just don't like having to buy another litre of oil, especially when it's so much more expensive.

You're a perfect candidate for the deals on Mobil 1 up here at Canadian Tire or Partsource where they bundle the 4.4L jug with a 1L bottle, I bought some on that deal recently for around $32.99 IIRC.

It should be just fine with 5qt poured in
smile.gif

That is the reason I like buying the 6 quart boxes at Costco or Sams. The single quart cost at a auto store or Walmart is crazy.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
If the worst problem you encounter with your car is the inconvenience of odd oil capacity, I'd say you're doing pretty good.
I think you're right. I didn't know anyone here didn't have a sizable stash of oil to satisfy odd capacities.

Originally Posted By: Patman
You're a perfect candidate for the deals on Mobil 1 up here at Canadian Tire or Partsource where they bundle the 4.4L jug with a 1L bottle, I bought some on that deal recently for around $32.99 IIRC.

I've seen those, but isn't it just 5w20 and 5w30? Car specs 0w20 and I would like to keep the warranty intact.

Last edited:
Just buy 5 qt jugs and use them FIFO. Individual quarts are usually 50% more expensive per unit than a jug.

Since you're in TX you can go into Rural King and pick up some Harvest King oil for $8/jug of the syn-blend or $11/jug for the full-syn. Use that to bring the oil level to the full mark. No rebates to deal with either. One jug of either should last 8-10 oil changes.

Please re-read my original post and edit yours. It makes very little to mo sense

I’m doing well, thank you. I’ve got quite a few other concerns but non of them has anything to do with these forum. Car has been pretty reliable so far and this “issue” doesn’t really bother me, i’m just curious how does everyone else deals with it

I guess i’ll just use 5qt jug of pennzoil 5w30 that i got on rebate as a top-offer. Should last a good qhile lol

Yep, use 5 qt jug for top offs and such. Don't buy qts anymore. Mixing a little of a different Syn oil with another Syn oil doesn't bother me.

I buy 2 5qt jugs, get the MIR, change the oil with 6qt, and have oil for top off until the next change where I’ll only need to buy 1 jug with MIR. (I usually get two anyway)

i've Dealt with it a couple ways.
my old neon took 4.5qts, and my buddy's Vibe(in my sig) calls for 4qts, but I remember reading about a TSB that revised it 4.5.
Neon Called for 5w20, Vibe 5w30.
I would buy a jug of each, fill a pint Jar(16oz/.5qt) from each jug, and pour that pint into an empty jug.(every 9th OCI is "free")
at first i had separate jugs for each then said "meh", and combined the 2, sent it off for a VOA before Running it through the vibe , 3-4 different brands, some syn, some blend, some conv. Blackstone said everything looked good for a "light" 5w30 synblend.

sold the Neon to buddy's Mom, Replaced it with my Sable.
The Sable calls for 5.5qts of 5w20. Same problem but Different.
so for a while I would Run 5qts of 5w20, and the "extra" pint of 5w30 from the Vibe.

then i noticed Mom's Taurus(Identical to my Sable) was being Billed for 6 qts by the Ford Dealer, so now I just pony up for the 6thqt for my car, but Still have a "frankenJug" for Leftovers from the Vibe, and anyone else's cars who I happen to change oil in.

Last edited:
Buy an extra five quart jug and that leftover is good for multiple OCIs. So for multiple OCIs afterwards, all that's needed is to buy one five quart jug, because you have over four quarts leftover from the last OCI.

3.7 quart sump capacity here and in real world probably less cause these techs don't wait a millisecond to return the fill bolt back whcih reminds me to school them on this each and everytime I visit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VolkswagenFox21
Originally Posted By: Patman

I've seen those, but isn't it just 5w20 and 5w30? Car specs 0w20 and I would like to keep the warranty intact.

True, I've never seen it in 0w20, it's most commonly in 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back