Impressed with Mobil 1 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
So, you're impressed with Mobil 1 oil, or the dealership?

Most places now offer a "premium" service package; upgraded filters and lubes. No surprise there.

I'm sure you paid for the oil in the purchase price of the car; they don't give that stuff away. And you probably paid a premium over their cost just for them to use it.

What was so impressive here? I'm not trying to make fun of you, but I don't understand what you're enamored with.

I am impressed with the oil and its performance in very cold weather(-5F). I never asked for the oil change. When I bought the car all the services have to be done to be sold as a certified pre-owned which comes with an additional 3 year powertrain warranty. They also changed the differential oil and swapped out the battery.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: deven
Recently bought a used Acura RLX and the dealership changed oil and other things as part of their certified pre-owned check list. Called the dealership to find out what oil they use and was told it was M1

And your signature says you have Royal Purple in the car already. So the M1 wasn't in there long even though you were impressed by it.
crazy.gif

Sorry for the confusion but the Mobil 1 is still in there. Its been 4000 miles so far and my OLM shows 60%. My sig says RP HPS because that is what I will be using and when I changed my sig I didn't know what oil was in there until I called the dealer recently

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
So, you're impressed with Mobil 1 oil, or the dealership?

Most places now offer a "premium" service package; upgraded filters and lubes. No surprise there.

I'm sure you paid for the oil in the purchase price of the car; they don't give that stuff away. And you probably paid a premium over their cost just for them to use it.

What was so impressive here? I'm not trying to make fun of you, but I don't understand what you're enamored with.

Certified to us when I was selling cars meant they hiked the price and called it certified. They even had paperwork for it. You're right, the Mobil 1, if even used was factored into the cost.

I agree that they do tend to jack the prices up when any dealership sells a car as certified pre-owned. I think I did okay in purchasing though. Its a 2016 car that was purchased by the original owner in February. Not sure why he only kept it for 6 months but he put on 11,xxx miles. The MSRP on this car was $66,xxx and I was able to get the car for $40,xxx. The RLX's don't sell well so there is always a deal to be had on this car.

Sorry for all the confusion guys. I didn't actually think this thread went thru hence there wasn't more info given in my original post because I thought I had erased it. That's why I started a new thread on the same subject yesterday. Could mods please combine the two??

The question begs to be asked... M1 oil has been in there for 4000 miles, it probably has another 4000 miles to go, and is working fine, by your posts.

Did I miss something? Why go to 5w30 when the spec is 0w20, and M1 is working flawlessly? The 5w30oil is going to sheer down to a 20 weight in short order.

If RP oil Floats your boat enough to put it in your signature already, then go with specified weight for your vehicle and be done with it.

With that said, you indicate there is a warranty, you could be jeopardizing that if ANYTHING engine/oil related ever came to question. Not that 5w30 would cause any issues, but if one develops they will use due diligence and check those kinds of things.

Originally Posted By: Bonz
The question begs to be asked... M1 oil has been in there for 4000 miles, it probably has another 4000 miles to go, and is working fine, by your posts.

Did I miss something? Why go to 5w30 when the spec is 0w20, and M1 is working flawlessly? The 5w30oil is going to sheer down to a 20 weight in short order.

If RP oil Floats your boat enough to put it in your signature already, then go with specified weight for your vehicle and be done with it.

With that said, you indicate there is a warranty, you could be jeopardizing that if ANYTHING engine/oil related ever came to question. Not that 5w30 would cause any issues, but if one develops they will use due diligence and check those kinds of things.

All good points Bonz but I love Royal Purple oil for reasons I will not go into and the HPS doesn't come in 0w20 flavor so I'll be using up my last 5 quarts of 5w30 I have and then switch over to 5w20. I have never had an oil related issue in the 27 years of my driving so I am not really worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back