I'm confused about the "cold" oil viscosity rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
What?!?!?!

Go to a farm or truck supply store....
1 gallon, 5 gallon, 30 gallon, 55 gallon are all READILY available.

Have you ever seen it in a 5 quart bottle ? That's what I could really use; otherwise I'd have to buy two gallons and have 3 quarts leftover.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: OhOMG
Originally Posted By: Avery4
I am confused about why, for example, a 30w oil is available when a 10w30 or 5w30 would apparently work just as well when hot and work much better while cold. Would there be a disadvantage to using 0w30 in hot weather instead of SAE 30?

Generally, the answer to this question is no, there is no disadvantage to using the 0w30 in hot weather versus a 30-grade and yes you could use the 0W-30 year round.

No disadvanteages ?
* Higher NOACK
* More VII to shear down in service
* Lower HTHS

a 20W20 would do...

To each their own, but I believe the differences to usually be so slight as to not lose sleep over. If it is not satisfactory to you within the 30-grade with the presence of an API Winter rating, or if you need an exacting or specific HTHS, that's different.

I am not aware of a 20W-20 grade.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Run 0w30 in you Detroit Diesel and watch it expire. There you difference. Now Why you may ask.

Except there are 0w-30 HDEOs, though they're not, in my experience, for two stroke diesel applications.

Merk: With respect to hypothetical 5 quart monograde jugs, a monograde in larger containers would probably be treated by the oil companies as HDEO, which are customarily sold in gallon containers (or 4 litres up here) or other larger things like 5 gallon pails, 1200 litre pallets, and so forth. The only exception might be Shell, which does sell HDEOs in five quart/litre containers. The last time I saw, in person, a Rotella monograde, though, was in 1 quart cans, which tells you how long ago I last played with such a product.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Ducked
I am confused about why, for example, a 30w oil is available when a 10w30 or 5w30 would apparently work just as well when hot and work much better while cold. Would there be a disadvantage to using 0w30 in hot weather instead of SAE 30?

Generally, the answer to this question is no, there is no disadvantage to using the 0w30 in hot weather versus a 30-grade and yes you could use the 0W-30 year round.

According to my handbook, I could use an SAE30 year-round, but I can't get it.

So I use an SAE40 year-round
no 30wt?

Never seen it here in the usual consumer outlets, nor any indication (from used containers) that the local farmers (who tend to be retro oil users) use it. Might be available if you knew where to look.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

No disadvanteages ?
* Higher NOACK
* More VII to shear down in service
* Lower HTHS

a 20W20 would do...

To each their own, but I believe the differences to usually be so slight as to not lose sleep over. If it is not satisfactory to you within the 30-grade with the presence of an API Winter rating, or if you need an exacting or specific HTHS, that's different.

I am not aware of a 20W-20 grade.

Disadvantages , there are.
Does it matter to OP/me ? .. to each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back