I'm beginning to hate tailgates on pickup trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You bring up some interesting points; but I can't see any self respecting hunting dogs getting into that abomination :)

One of my biggest gripes with new trucks is similar to the OP's. The tall suspensions and high belt line (translating to tall bed rails and long tailgate) isn't very friendly if you actually use the bed of your truck often. The liftover is annoyingly high and you can't reach very far into the bed without having to climb in.

Every generation of truck has it's pros and cons. These new trucks are comfy, ride well, can pull, and are efficient. But they are [censored] annoying when using the bed!

The bed on my old 3/4 ton pickup is lower and more friendly than a modern compact pickup.

Originally Posted by Popsy
As a non US resident, I have a hard time seeing the point of pickup trucks...sure they look cool and all...but so expensive, gas guzzling for the little (all things relative) you can load in them. They can tow though, that I see the point.
I realize this post will probably get me some hate, but I'm not intending to criticize, just asking a real question, please educate me on trucks.

It's a valid question. Comes down a few reasons:
-low gas taxes and ultimately low gas prices here
-light duty trucks don't have high registration prices
-stigma
-wide open spaces with wide roads
-yet a good deal of roads are anything but pristine
-because we can

As a result we have a big market for them and the cost of owning a truck is low. Err, was low. But I dare say that if one avoids the luxury models they can get low optioned 4 door trucks for not oodles more than a car/SUV. Most people don't want to own a fleet of cars, so they pick the compromise they are willing to live with--low mpg, big space but it hauls, tows and looks like what they want.

Our small truck market (Ranger, S10, etc) died off once they had to pass the same emissions, safety etc. If not died off then became less competitive. At the moment they cost as much as full size so most people don't opt, not unless if they need a smaller truck to fit in a garage or do truly live in an urban area.

Me, if I had to go back to owning a single vehicle, it'd come down to, do I have to drive lots or not? If I drove lots then it'd be a high mpg SUV or sedan. If I was low miles per year then I might live with a big ole truck under the premise that my gas bill was too low to care about. As one drops below say 10,000 miles per year then other costs dominate, and a truck might not cost that much more than a sedan.

I do have to admit to getting tired of the high bed height on my truck. If I get another truck I suspect it won't be full size, or it will be an older model. Something lower. Or I'll just go minivan. But then I'll be concerned about sagging under load etc. No good perfect do-all vehicle!

Interesting points, thanks.
True the roads condition are really different too, and I don't talk about the price of gas...
Different culture, I guess, coming from different needs
wink.gif

Originally Posted by user52165
"With my new job loading bags of concrete into customer vehicles all day.......................................just asking for a back injury"

Your employer is just asking for an OSHA claim. There are devices to lift and load heavy items like that

No kidding. His employer needs to be told what year this is. It's not 5000 BC anymore.

Originally Posted by Popsy
As a non US resident, I have a hard time seeing the point of pickup trucks...sure they look cool and all...but so expensive, gas guzzling for the little (all things relative) you can load in them. They can tow though, that I see the point.
I realize this post will probably get me some hate, but I'm not intending to criticize, just asking a real question, please educate me on trucks.

In my country we pretty much have only vans like Mercedes sprinter or similar, with different types of bed (closed, open like pickup, etc). In most you can put more stuff than in a (say) Ford F150 for example. Basically if you have special carrying needs you buy something like this and have something made to your needs, it's really modular :

[Linked Image]

With a standard driving license, can carry up to 3,5T (and I think up to 7 something meters long), above you need a truck license (different kinds), reinforced frame with twin wheels, etc.

They sure don't look cool, but came "cheap" with pretty much only diesel engines. They won't go fast, but the gas mileage is reasonable. No cool factor, it's a pure work utility vehicle...you can't really have this as a daily driver (well you can, but) like a truck, which has the versatility of being able to carry loads and be a cool daily driver at the same time. Also most have no real 4x4 ability (for the few available in 4x4).

Maybe I answered my own question ? LOL
lol.gif

No hate. I have quite a number of similar vehicles (Isuzu NPR). For load carrying, "van" bodies are great. Awful for heavy towing, parking, and no 4WD or low range transfer case.

In a heavy vehicle, 4WD is more of an "anti-stuck" system than it is for off road bashing. A decent patch of soft ground is all it takes to stop a heavy long wheelbase vehicle in its tracks.

Still, however capable a 4WD pickup is or isn't, a van body is about 10 times worse. I'm not taking one 20 miles out into the Everglades and expect to come home. I do this all of the time with my trucks.

After Katrina everyone bought trucks thinking I can get all materials home then reality set in. I wouldn't load anything in bed with tailgate on as it is an accident waiting to happen on the person loading it. Couldn't use a forklift to help cause people didn't want scraped beds. Had more than one bought Dodge Grand Caravan which hauled materials better than pickup. The payload of most trucks is to low. I had a SUV that worked most of time and so far my Caravan is best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by tiger862
After Katrina everyone bought trucks thinking I can get all materials home then reality set in. I wouldn't load anything in bed with tailgate on as it is an accident waiting to happen on the person loading it. Couldn't use a forklift to help cause people didn't want scraped beds. Had more than one bought Dodge Grand Caravan which hauled materials better than pickup. The payload of most trucks is to low. I had a SUV that worked most of time and so far my Caravan is best of both worlds.

Loading stuff into and out of the van is so much easier than it was with the Durango. More room as well, way, WAY more room. Refused to accept the sheer utility of the minivan, parents had a 2004 grand Caravan that I drove in high school, because I thought they weren't cool. Oh how wrong I was.

I also vowed never to buy an Apple Computer, and a week ago I did. I'm slowly turning into a mirror image of my father
45.gif

Originally Posted by das_peikko
With my new job loading bags of concrete into customer vehicles all day, reaching over and across the open tailgate to place the concrete into the pickup bed is just asking for a back injury. I would much rather lift the concrete up over the tailgate with it closed rather than reach across it with it open. Just saying.

Use a forklift and a pallet to get the concrete bags up there!!!

What you are doing is foolishness.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by tiger862

Loading stuff into and out of the van is so much easier than it was with the Durango. More room as well, way, WAY more room. Refused to accept the sheer utility of the minivan, parents had a 2004 grand Caravan that I drove in high school, because I thought they weren't cool. Oh how wrong I was.

I also vowed never to buy an Apple Computer, and a week ago I did. I'm slowly turning into a mirror image of my father
45.gif

I'd own an Astro in a second...just can't get past the wrong wheel drive.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I'd own an Astro in a second...just can't get past the wrong wheel drive.

Astro or Caravan? Astro was RWD, Caravan was/is FWD. 'cept for some range where they had AWD models--come to think of it, Astro had AWD too.

Astro was a beast, too truck like for most today, but could handle towing quite well. If it wasn't for tight engine bay I'd think about one (again). Well, RWD was a bit sketchy in snow, there's that.

Originally Posted by Kestas
You can thank the fad of lifted trucks. Manufacturers followed this fad and the shifting demographics of the consumer. If you're old enough to remember, pickup trucks were mostly bought by farmers and actually had low beds so farmers could easily load and unload their stuff. Back then, girls wouldnt be caught dead going out with a guy in his truck. Since the 80s, trucks are difficult to use around the farm, but they sure look cool!

Serious Beefmaster ranchers here buy cab and chassis and have custom flat beds with removable rails.

Guys who only raise the small "Taxmaster" herds drive high up King Ranch series …

Originally Posted by double vanos
Honda Ridgeline....

Yup has had a 2 way tailgate from day 1

Originally Posted by linkbelt
Originally Posted by double vanos
Honda Ridgeline....

Nissan Frontier

Does it have a 2 way tailgate?

UD

Every truck I or my family has owned, you can remove the tailgate in a matter or seconds. Un-clip the two wire supports, and the whole thing lifts right off. If you don't like it, take it off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back