I'm 60 years old

Originally Posted by billt460

Retirement didn't kill them, regardless of how much you want to believe it did.

That right. I can hardley wait until I get to retire, and leave the chemical exposure, 12 hr rotating shifts, and stressful demands all behind.

Retirement will EXTEND whatever life I have left. I will live, eat and sleep better for sure.

Let's see, I'm 66, had a major heart attack in 2012 along with a quad bypass. Was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma that same year after my heart operation. The chemo I took darned near killed me in Feb 2013.Recently, had an operation on my neck for a slipped disc that pinched my spinal cord causing neuropathy in my right leg and foot that cannot be repaired or the nerve pain done away with. The nerve damage is permanent.

I work part time at a nursing home, driving residents back and forth to doctor appointments.......love it!

I ride motorcycles still.....but.....each day my age is slowly creeping into my daily life. Turning 60 in August of 2012 was no fun for me. But I wouldn't change a thing.

Like a 70 year old friend of mine told me.....his words now......."Growing old is not for sissies!".

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Blkstanger
While I am only 56 this year I feel that work is good for you. Over the years I have witnessed too many guys retire only to die a few years later. I plan on working for as long as they will have me. I even told my boss this a few weeks ago and he happen to agree with my way of thinking.

Retirement didn't kill them, regardless of how much you want to believe it did. The thing is, that door swings both ways. I have witnessed far too many guys who worked their entire lives, and dropped dead without ever seeing a days retirement. And you have to understand the reason your boss is going to agree with you, is because he is making money off of you. Naturally he wants you to stick around. He wants to continue to profit and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Not see you do it.

Over the years I have found that most people who say they'll never retire, and that, "work is good for you", couldn't retire if they wanted to. (I'm not saying or suggesting you are one of them). But my father was. He worked hard and made good money throughout his working lifetime. He just couldn't hang on to any of it. He died broke, but always exclaimed he would never retire. He was right, he never did. But he was wrong in thinking that he had convinced anyone that it was his choice not to. His poor finances made that decision for him. He just went along with it in order to try to save face.

How you survive retirement depends on the type of person you are, along with how much money you have. If you are not a relaxed person, who always has to be on the go, you won't adapt well to retirement. And you better have a fortune saved before you even attempt it. Because you will burn through it. On the other hand, if you are a laid back, relaxed individual, who enjoys a stress free, simple lifestyle, you will adjust to retirement quite easily and happily.

I have to agree with you I seen it happen and there are dozens of example I know.

Originally Posted by CT8
I am 66 years old I hate it. I would love to be invincible again.

crackmeup2.gif
I just turned 66 on the first of Feb, i hear you brother, the mind still thinks young but these old bones say No!

From Too Much Love Of Living, From Hope and Fear Set Free, We Thank With Brief Thanksgiving, What ever Gods May Be, That No Life Lives Forever, That Dead Men Rise Up Never, And Even The Weariest River Winds Someplace Safe To Sea. ABABCCCB Thank you Algernon.

58 here and still rocking it! I applaud O.P. attitude towards things. Still working full time, with a 200 hours or so of overtime annually. Plan on retiring anywhere from 62-67 years of age. I have noticed the last year or so some aches and pains that weren't there prior. I have had to also back off a bit on the weights at the gym. Something else too, a lot of 50 something women are hot!

Turned 55 in August, and have a 15 year old daughter. I'm trying to keep up with her in just about all matters, but there are times I'd rather just stay home. Absolutely love my job, been here almost 30 years. Not thinking retirement until she's well out of college. Dad worked for Uncle Sam for 37.5 years, got cancer, retired and died 6 months later. I hope that's not me, but, I'm in way better shape than he was at this age. Hard drinker, stressed all the time and chain smoked. My biological mother is 74 and still rocking. Her mother passed at 91. Death has me really thinking since I hit 55 and knowing that Dad passed when he just turned 60, 5 years from now. Not a sobering thought. My blood work, while not the greatest, is good. No cardiovascular issues. Back and neck cartilage is about gone, all those years playing drums and touring have taken their toll, but it's still manageable. Been scoped twice, couple of non-cancer polyps but numerous diverticula, probably from the kraph I ate in my younger and college years. Still love beer, but getting hit with gout a few years ago slowed that way down but on the other hand, really changed my diet. Lot's of salad, more chicken/fish as opposed to all the beef I'd normally eat. Got it under control and know my limits. Still got my hair!!! But yeah, it's something you think about more so than when we were younger, 10 foot tall and bullet proof.

I will be 68 this year and still working full time at my job for 37 yrs.
I have several types of cancer and take chemo meds each day to slow growth of it.
Recently I've started thinking about retiring while I can still do stuff I want.
I don't want to work until I can't and then retire in bad shape.
Problem is my wife is 61 and won't have insurance if I quit.
I need to check with the supplemental ins and see if they will cover my chemo cost.
My meds are $14600 a month .
For over 50 yrs I have been going to work everyday and I'm just ready to stay home and vegetate awhile.

I'm 55, due to health and stupidly long hours at my job, retirement seems very attractive. 7:30AM to 10:00PM today, and an hour commute each way. Just a handful of days off last year. I'm tired.

I have mitochondrial dysfunction which results in low physical capability, due to autoimmune/Hashimoto's.

It won't take much to push me over the edge into retirement.

Why so many hours ?

I'm sure you're paid well but that's too much work and stress.

I take 6 weeks off every year and get paid for it so I do rest even though I work OT.

That would be great if its an option. I work 12 rotating shifts (35 years!) and 200 hrs of OT is required. I went over 500 hours OT in 2017, Whew!

God bless you! I'm 48 and have to admit trouble with retirement and the future. It's not easy taking the next leap at middle age. God and family first. The rest will come. Have faith! Move forward. One of Tony Robbins sayings...You cant drive a car through a rear view mirror.

I'm 75 and one month away from being retired for a decade. Was saving almost half my pay for the last decade before retirement. Most was through a 457 or a regular IRA since Roth's didn't exist through most of my career. My grandparents told me the Great Depression was returning from the time I was in kindergarten and the message stuck. Haven't had to touch my investments since retirement ( other than minimum withdrawals) but my income taxes have tripled. Wish someone had warned me of that. Thought I'd hate retirement but it's been pretty good.

I'm 34 and aside from not caring about learning Spanish, and hating my career, and not yet paying for how I abuse my body physically, your post is spot on for me!

I'm 34 and aside from not caring about learning Spanish, and hating my career, and not yet paying for how I abuse my body physically, your post is spot on for me!

Maybe 2021 there will be a career change for you ?

I am 56 and retired at 53. IT jobs left for overseas, tired from jumping job to job. I keep myself busy. Wife still works.

Back