If you buy a high end luxury car......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Heck, they put those awful stickers all over the interior of our $70M Gulfstream G650ER jet. On the tables, on the seats, on the side panels, on the doors, and so on. Not worth the $10,000 fine to remove one!

Automobiles don't have FAA inspectors going through them regularly. But aren't those labels only required for commercial service? As in if it's your plane and it's you, your family and friends in it without chartering it out on off hours, can't you do what you want?

Originally Posted By: expat
What is more suprising,is that in 'the Land of the free' people put up with it!

Free is not synonymous with "smart" - people are also free to be ignorant, unaware, or whatever.

Do they still put those God awful, permanent, Airbag decals on the sunvisors?

So the manufacturer is in the clear if you get killed by an explosive in the steering wheel going off in your face.

Similar to the manufacturers impacted by the Takata recall stating it isn't their fault if you are killed by a defective airbag, because they sent out a letter in the mail telling you not to drive your vehicle until the parts come in 3 years later.

27.gif

It cost me @$35, but I coded my 2 Series to eliminate that annoying and moronic disclaimer screen:

It was worth every penny.

I get the air bag stickers and the higher roll over risk stickers on my visors since all I have are 4x4s.

Originally Posted By: homeyclaus
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Heck, they put those awful stickers all over the interior of our $70M Gulfstream G650ER jet. On the tables, on the seats, on the side panels, on the doors, and so on. Not worth the $10,000 fine to remove one!

Automobiles don't have FAA inspectors going through them regularly. But aren't those labels only required for commercial service? As in if it's your plane and it's you, your family and friends in it without chartering it out on off hours, can't you do what you want?

No, no and no.

1) Inspectors dont regularly go through airplanes, especially part 91(non commercial) stuff.

2) A label or more appropriatley a placard if installed by the manufacturer or is part of an STC, is required equipment if the aircraft was certified in anything other than the "experimental" category. In other words, if a placard is missing, the aircaft is not airworthy, unless its been appropriately deferred or MEL'd.

3) No, you cant just modify your personal aircraft. If you do and there's no approved STC, the aircraft essentially becomes "experimental."

An STC or supplemental type certificate is an FAA approved modifaction, alteration or major repair. Some examples are: K&N airfilters for most single engine Cessnas, higher displacement engines, adding a GPS to an aircraft that wasnt originally equipped with one, the ability to use automotive gasoline etc..

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I don't buy cars new enough to have those warning labels still intact. They often fade after some years

Funny you mention that. I just checked my Mercedes E-350. Has the sticker. The one on the driver's side is a faded yellow, the one on the passenger side is fine. Looks like it was about to peel off so I might do that, but then again I don't want sticker residue on it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
My 84 Civic wagon does not have any warning stickers. I should carry a Shop Vac so that in the case of an accident the paramedics can remove me for transport.

All that safety stuff including the stickers is good for you.

I think your car pre-dates all that saftey stuff. I think you don't even have have a 3rd brake light, I think that was '86. No airbags, no side impact, traction control, stability control, collision avoidance. I assume maybe no ABS too. You're basically driving a ticking time bomb although I guess we all are but some to a lesser extent.

What is all this "safety stuff" you write of? No wonder modern cars are so porky. These very useful wagons weighed less than 2300 pounds.
These cars didn't even have power steering or fuel injection.
We had two Civic Wagons of this generation, both '86s. Both cars were driven well past 200K, one by us and the other by the guy I sold it to. Neither car needed much beyond brakes, tires, clutch and carb rebuild.
These were really great little cars to drive but I do shudder to think of the consequences of a serious collision.
These were among the last lightweight and fairly simple Hondas.

Curiosity got the best of me so I went to the garage, and both my 2005 Chevy truck and my wife's 2013 Lexus ES350 have the airbag safety stickers on both visors. They both have the same exact wording on them. I don't suppose they bother me since I had to check to see if my vehicles even had them.

I never knew they even existed, shows you how much attention I pay to things like this even though I probably saw them a thousand times.

because that space is better occupied by a cheat sheet of CB radio trucker slang terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back