If it was United….

Hmmmm..... I saw Astro recently inquire on the Tacoma forum the best asado resturant in Buenos Areas.... connecting the dots....

There were a lot of complaints from residents of San Diego when this happened.

top-gun-buzz-tower.gif

It’s time to buzz the tower.

Now, I have done that…only I was a lot lower.

And a lot faster.

Commander Abel said he did several passes to try and get one that was acceptable. Until all the complaints came where they decided it was enough. But he said did each pass low, relatively slow, and with the wings swept back so it was near stall.

“Balancing their kid-in-a-candy-store opportunity with the desire not to mess up, Bozo and Slick made several passes, crossing the airfield around 100 feet above ground level (AGL) or less. Remember, this was their first experience of flying for the cameras and they had relatively little time to mentally prepare for this unusual mission. It was going well; Scott was getting the film he needed, but wanted more passes so he could choose the best. Then the phone calls started. Civilians in communities near Miramar called the base and local news media asking about a ‘berserk F-14 pilot’. When the word got to Smegs, who was with the film crew as usual, he called knock it off. Scott wanted to film the F-14 performing a roll after the flyby, but that was only simulated in the cockpit mock-up.”​

Commander Abel said he did several passes to try and get one that was acceptable. Until all the complaints came where they decided it was enough. But he said did each pass low, relatively slow, and with the wings swept back so it was near stall.

“Balancing their kid-in-a-candy-store opportunity with the desire not to mess up, Bozo and Slick made several passes, crossing the airfield around 100 feet above ground level (AGL) or less. Remember, this was their first experience of flying for the cameras and they had relatively little time to mentally prepare for this unusual mission. It was going well; Scott was getting the film he needed, but wanted more passes so he could choose the best. Then the phone calls started. Civilians in communities near Miramar called the base and local news media asking about a ‘berserk F-14 pilot’. When the word got to Smegs, who was with the film crew as usual, he called knock it off. Scott wanted to film the F-14 performing a roll after the flyby, but that was only simulated in the cockpit mock-up.”​
I'm familiar with the story - point is, if they had been faster, the camera wouldn't have picked it up. "At over 400 knots!" was the dialogue - but they were closer to 300.

I'm familiar with the story - point is, if they had been faster, the camera wouldn't have picked it up. "At over 400 knots!" was the dialogue - but they were closer to 300.

Well yeah. Almost everything was done for the camera. But it looked great.

I heard The Final Countdown was even worse, since they wanted the "Zeros" in the same scenes with F-14s looking cool with their wings swept back flying 200 knots.

Our SOP minimum speed for wings at 68 (full sweep) was 300 KIAS.

Naturally, minimum speed depends a bit on gross weight, but you could fly it at about 200 KIAS, with wings at 68, if you were at landing weight.

It would put you about 15 AOA. That is, 15 degrees nose up in level flight, and the airplane would be on the back side of the power curve, so, it wasn’t stable. It had to be flown very carefully, pitch and power adjustments were constant, and it was sluggish in pitch.

Back