United 767-300 Has Fuselage Buckled by Hard Landing at IAH July 29, 2023

In sufficiently developed applications, AI/ML can out-perform humans in ordinary tasks that closely resemble its training scenarios. Yet as soon as AI/ML encounters a real-world situation that is outside its training, all bets are off. Its performance becomes poor and unpredictable. That's when you need humans who have situational awareness and actually understand what they are doing. Yet the problem is that these situations are not predictable - they happen quickly and unexpectedly, so you don't have much time to identify it and get a human to take over.

Put differently, one could say that the reason we have human pilots is to turn off the automation and fly the airplane, when it becomes necessary. But to do that effectively, those humans need experience and training, so they might as well be there all the time flying the airplane and using automation as appropriate to reduce their workload.
Isn’t Airbus starting up Project Dragonfly to augment pilots with AI/ML and augmented reality to assist with flight?

I personally feel unless you’ve taken flight lessons, built a home simulator to play Microsoft Flight Simulator or stepped foot as a non-flying person in an actual airliner simulator, the closest thing many will experience to flying an airplane when it comes to task loading, being aware of the environment around them and being safe would be scuba diving. Yes - there are similar concepts in skydiving and hang gliding but the tasks one must do underwater to survive and not earn a trip to a decompression chamber or the morgue is crucial.

... the closest thing many will experience to flying an airplane when it comes to task loading, being aware of the environment around them and being safe would be scuba diving. Yes - there are similar concepts in skydiving and hang gliding but the tasks one must do underwater to survive and not earn a trip to a decompression chamber or the morgue is crucial.
As an avid scuba diver and a pilot, I can say there's no comparison. Scuba (at least recreational scuba) is much simpler and more forgiving.

As an avid scuba diver and a pilot, I can say there's no comparison. Scuba (at least recreational scuba) is much simpler and more forgiving.
Have to agree with this.
Nothing happens fast in the water, and I write this as a PADI certified rescue diver. Divers are usually killed by panic while having plenty of air in their tank(s) and there are some people who probably shouldn't dive because they lack the calm to work out problems.
OTOH, things move fast in even a slowish airliner, mainly when on approach or departure and close to the unforgiving ground.
I've been stuck in a flooded dry suit and I obviously worked out the problem since I'm here to write this. Much easier than it would be for me to land even a regional jet having done quite a few hours in simple singles.

Well boys, looks like we have another buckled 767-300, a DHL freighter this time. Showed up on a couple of my Facebook groups this morning. The comments section on at least one of the groups is going about as expected. Some of the harshest comments are coming from people, at least from their profile pages, who appear to be pilots themselves. Whatever. I personally represent myself on Facebook as a tanned, rugged, well-informed, handsome, witty, financially carefree knower-of-all-things and that's a steaming bowl of bovine scatology if there ever was one, so these clowns may or may not be qualified to judge the circumstance behind this incident either. Anyway.....

Further reading, if you desire:

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/...uring-hard-landing-at-beirut-airport-lebanon/

Didn’t I tell you guys that we were going to fix it?

We need the airplanes. Boeing is behind on delivery of everything, including our 787s.

This one got some serious rework, in a different market it would’ve been scrapped, but it was worth the several million to fix it and put it back in service because we need the capacity.

Last edited:
Didn’t I tell you guys that we were going to fix it?

We need the airplanes. Boeing is behind on delivery of everything, including our 787.

This one got some serious rework, in a different market it would’ve been scrapped, but it was worth the several million to fix it and put it back in service because we need the capacity.
Would a repair like this be completed at the airport or is the plane flown to a repair facility? I guess someone would have to sign off that damages are ok to fly?

Would a repair like this be completed at the airport or is the plane flown to a repair facility? I guess someone would have to sign off that damages are ok to fly?
It was done on site. Not a good idea to fly an airplane with structural damage. It was damaged on landing in IAH, and that’s where it was repaired.

I don’t know the threshold of OK/Not OK, and it’s based on a structural assessment. You can’t tell from the outside alone, the airplane has to be measured and inspected in many locations for that assessment to be accurate and valid.

Last edited:
It was done on site. Not a good idea to fly an airplane with structural damage. It was damaged on landing in IAH, and that’s where it was repaired.

I don’t know the threshold of OK/Not OK, and it’s based on a structural assessment. You can’t tell from the outside alone, the airplane has to be measured and inspected in many locations for that assessment to be accurate and valid.

I'm sure this sort of work requires a stringent set of quality checks. I understand the Japan Airlines 123 crash was attributed to a poor repair that failed.

Back