If HPL was NOT a sponsor here then how would it truly compare to other boutique oils like redline and Amsoil? What makes HPL different and special?

If you've been on this board long enough (even just lurking, ignoring for the moment that you may be a previous member, given the familiarity with past topics) to be familiar with AutoRX, then you've certainly been around long enough to see the threads on Dr. Rudnick and the various HPL oil filter C&P's, Dave blending folks custom oils...etc.

Dave went out of his way to get an entire product line designed for the folks that didn't want any VII in their finished lube. Who does that?

So yeah, that's gained them some popularity on here, popularity that I think would be just as strong if they weren't a sponsor, because being a sponsor didn't require them to do all of this stuff for the membership.
I don't think anyone here should have an issue with Dave or Dr. Sputnik 🚀🚀

That's true but only if your going to do extended OCI's.
As someone who aims for approx. 6 to 7K OCI's maximum using off the shelf synthetics I think boutique oils are unnecessary in my situation. I am however interested in HPL's Engine Cleaner which seems reasonably priced for use every few years.

As far as 'fan boys' go....I've been on this site long enough to see them come and go. There was a time when Auto-RX was considered a great product....now it's rarely if ever mentioned.....the same goes for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.
Remember when PYB was the hot ticket? People went nuts here supporting a conventional oil for it's cleaning abilities.

Trends here definitely come and go.

I know nothing about oil besides the fact that I live in Houston and that some oils I use to cook my fries.

Now, this board as any other hobby board tends to devolve into a herd mentality and cultish behavior. Eventually everyone parrots others without knowing why. AutoRX, MMO, oil catch cans in modern cars anyone?

Now that being said; I highly respect HPL and I will purchase their product once I am financially stable. But my question boils down to basically: "what makes them different from other boutique oils like Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Royal Puke or Bobs backyard moonshine blend?" And "how will they improve my vehicle performance/longevity over major brand synthetics like M1, Penzoil Ultra?"
when a difference makes no difference, buy the cheapest that meets the specs or buy the one that has the prettiest packaging, or best marketing as the end results are all about the same..

What I have a problem with, some people who try to talk others out of Amsoil used to say things like ".........$1.99/qt oil is just as good, especially if you don't go beyond XXXX miles". I'm not seeing this so much with HPL. I think there some real fan bois here is all I am saying.
Actually, I think there’s plenty of enthusiasm tempering regarding HPL is you look at several threads. I’ve even done it myself… the recommendations are usually like “if you’re going to run 3-5k OCIs, and not going to utilize UOAs to really allow the strengths of their oils to shine, you’ll likely be just fine and save money running M1EP, or XXXX oils.”

Last edited:
I know nothing about oil besides the fact that I live in Houston and that some oils I use to cook my fries.

Now, this board as any other hobby board tends to devolve into a herd mentality and cultish behavior. Eventually everyone parrots others without knowing why. AutoRX, MMO, oil catch cans in modern cars anyone?

Now that being said; I highly respect HPL and I will purchase their product once I am financially stable. But my question boils down to basically: "what makes them different from other boutique oils like Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Royal Puke or Bobs backyard moonshine blend?" And "how will they improve my vehicle performance/longevity over major brand synthetics like M1, Penzoil Ultra?"
I kind of find it odd that you would start a Thread like this, when you say you will use it?

I will answer your question, they do not cut any corners with there products. I would invite you to call Dave at HPL, like I did back in December of 2021. He answered every question I asked him, and I had no comeback to any of the answers he gave me.

I kind of find it odd that you would start a Thread like this, when you say you will use it?

I will answer your question, they do not cut any corners with there products. I would invite you to call Dave at HPL, like I did back in December of 2021. He answered every question I asked him, and I had no comeback to any of the answers he gave me.
its also been previously discussed in some lengthy threads.. might be a good place to start reading instead of starting this thread.
Very detailed great info .. more than you would ever get from any other company.

I'm not a user of their motor oil because all my current vehicles are non-performance.
If I had a Elantra N or grand cherokee trackhawk.. I would be.
I will be ordering some gear oil from HPL soon.

HPL being a sponsor and giving us a discount code is great but the sponsor part alone doesnt really affect my oil decisions.

I do wish I could have made it to the tour and met a bunch of bitogers in person.
but touring a nuclear power plant vs HPL.. sorry HPL.

Last edited:
"How are the base stocks and/or additives better?"

"What is the basis for saying their oils perform better and last longer?"
The answers to those are largely subjective as well.

Don't get me wrong, just like Royal Purple, Amsoil, Motul, etc, etc, I'm sure they are all FINE oils. I personally don't think their price is justified, but I also don't tell people not to use them. As a common point made in this thread already, it's someone else's money. If they want to waste it, errr, spend it on those, good for them. 😂

I have HPL products but I have yet to see any teardown results that say, the engine went to poo in 200k using Kirkland oil but would have gone to 350k on HPL.
If anyone ever says that, disregard their babbling. The only way to even test that theory is to take identical engines, blueprint all of the moving parts to find ones with parts that are identical (not simply "within tolerance" either), and run them on test benches.

The answers to those are largely subjective as well.

Don't get me wrong, just like Royal Purple, Amsoil, Motul, etc, etc, I'm sure they are all FINE oils. I personally don't think their price is justified, but I also don't tell people not to use them. As a common point made in this thread already, it's someone else's money. If they want to waste it, errr, spend it on those, good for them. 😂
That is one thing I’ve seen different, though. HPL has said their oils are not for everyone, and they’re fine with things being that way. There have also been the cautionary comments like “if you’re a follow-the-OLM or change your oil at XXX miles regardless of oil condition” that you will certainly not be cost-effective using HPL compared to any shelf-stock oil.

If anything, I would say that HPL has actually discouraged (via the “hey, as long as you understand this doesn’t make much sense”) more potential customers from using their oils than any other brand oil I’ve ever seen here. If you want to buy HPL, great; but if your use case presents something Dave feels will likely not encourage you to continue buying his products, he doesn’t lie or stretch the truth like every true marketer does.

There’s a difference between supplying the best dang product available and making enough to support the business; it’s complete anathema to the typical business model that tries to supply a “good enough” product that generates enough money to keep the shareholders happy.

Run HPL in my Sportwagen (200hp/liter) that I track somewhat regularly. Trust this oil will provide ample protection at sustained 270-280 F degrees oil temp beating the crap out of it. Will likely move a few other of my cars over to it in the next year. Good stuff. Good company. Dave has been good to talk to and work with. It's not for the average 5K changers in average daily vehicles...needs to be longer OCIs in those daily drivers to makes this a smart choice. There is some fanboi-ism here but you always get that on forums.

Back