Identifying the house brands......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually, when checking out a generic brand oil, one can flip the bottle over and find a marking telling you who made the stuff in the bottle.

Wne, and WU are common markings, each being one of the warrens. I've seen Amalie's markings...

Today I was looking at the "Spectrum" brand sold at Sears and K-Mart... the Trans fluid is WNE.. the oil.. Umm... it's a unique bottle, and the only mark on the bottom was a Triangle.
Anyone know what that one is?

When grabbing Mystery bargain oil, I feel confident with WNE or WU on the bottom actually meeting the API claim.

How bout that triangle?? and What other markings can you identify here? That'd be a great thread to have the pictures and all.

Are you referring to a triangle with a number in it? If so, it identifies the type of plastic that the bottle is made of for recycling purposes.

Yeah that's what I thought too.

I remember that Sears/Kmart was having a great sale on their house brand oil Spectrum a while ago. At about 1.00 /qt.
It did have the API SM doughnut of approval which is the most important thing as it meets most mfrs specs.

Why not just e mail sears automotive hq and ask them.

Last edited:
No, it wasn't the recycle triange. This was on the edge, and was just a sharp edge triangle... Greek DELTA maybe...

No marks in or around it.

Sears had Spectrum for 2.87.. and PYB on sale for 2.79..

@WMS:

That could simply be the container makers mark too. That is my guess. But anyhow I would be very interested to know who makes Spectrum oil.

I tried to find out awhile back with no success who makes this oil for Sears and Kmart. Warren does not bottle it any more so I called Sears and asked for the PDS and MSDS...then I followed up with e-mails. I got no response from Sears.

I called Spectrum Corp, since Sears uses the same logo on their bottle as what Spectrum has for their Corporate logo.

Spectrum then stated that they process oils but they do not bottle any for Sears. When I asked about the Corporate Logo of Spectrum being the same logo as on the Sears "Spectrum" oil they were "very surprised" and still stated that they do not bottle or blend any oils for Sears. They informed me that Spectrum mostly makes oil for lawn equipment, bar chain oil for saws etc...not automotive products...so I was told.

Since I could not get a PDS or a MSDS sheet on any of the Spectrum products when I asked Sears for the information. I got rid of it.....Fast!

IMHO....When in doubt....throw it out! I returned all of the Spectrum oil that I got on special back to Kmart. If an oil has the API starburst and all the markings of an approved product and they can't give me information on the oil..... I have no use for their oil.

I will only buy store brand oil from reputable companies and stores like Napa, Advanced Auto and Auto Zone. At least these oils have documentation to back up the manufacturer, bottler and blender of the oil.

Remember the caveat....Buyer beware!

With so many good oils out there.....do we really need to obcess with who make these store brands?

Like.....who cares....stick with the majors. This saving a penny or two on oil is such a waste of time.....when oil is just a minute part of total vehicle maintainance.

In my situation, I work on a fleet of cars ususally for those who have not a great deal of money. I buy my oil by the case and on demand... so waiting for a sale on the one or two types I need, and then run and bulk up isn't a valid option. I bulked up on my Ford oil since I own 3 of them... everyone else usually gets WPP made stuff from the auto part store. When they make an appointment, we go to get the needed supplies. 98% of the time, It's Federated (WPP) oil and a Federated filter.. the other time It's AAPs brand (WU) and a Purolator classic.

I'm stocked enough for 2 oil changes on the work car, and one each on the other cars.. I keep 1 fuel, 1 air filter in case of immediate need. Not a "Stash" really. 2 cases of 5W-20.. not that much.

I've fed the lawnmowers, and all my cars the "Generic" oils by WNE/WPP and WU, as well as Amalie. All of them are alive and well, ready to start and do their jobs.

Yeah, you can get name brands at a bargain when there's a sale. I can buy generic cheap all day every day when I need it. When you service 1-2 cars, buy whatever you want. Up that to 10-15 cars, and mandate making a tiny profit, now it's a game... I won't use Fram or Ecore filters, so it's usually Fed brand or Puroclones.

Very interesting. If that's the case, I'd like to see PQI pick some up on their next run-around.

Although that company's web site is cheap looking, I don't want to be the instant jerk and assume it's junk. I'd like to give them a chance to show a sample. I'll avoid it for now.... although it DID pass API.

WPP and WU are both good at keeping spec, so I never hesitate on those two.

Last edited:
'House' brand oil is generally made to a price point. I doubt any of it would harm your engine, as they state it meets API specs. But I doubt any of it is up to brand name quality.
If it really doesn't have a 'source' code or identifier of some sort, I'd walk away.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
With so many good oils out there.....do we really need to obcess with who make these store brands?

I have been thinking about it tonight while playing video games.... and I have the analogy.....

Motor oil is to car guys like BEER is to beer guys...

1. It's cool to say that you have the fancy imported type.
2. The more expensive it is, the better it is proclaimed to be
3. European varieties are honored, American varieties accepted, others scrutinized.
4. It's hard to find any two guys who will agree on a best, and they will argue formulation until sundown.

WPP and WU are the High Life, and Keystone of the oil community. Inexpensive, american, and not bad... just not stylish.

Yep.

As long as the oil carries the current API certification, and has basic documentation like MSDS available you should be just fine, the best price after all those are met is all that matters.

Of course there are a few cars that need extra certifications but not all that many even today. The most important thing is that it meets API certifications.

Thanks... it is out of date now as Wolf's Head is now part of Amalie. Otherwise good.

A neighboring part store is now selling Warren (Unilube) for 2.49Q by the case... Not bad for a daily price. They carry all the grades.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
Usually, when checking out a generic brand oil, one can flip the bottle over and find a marking telling you who made the stuff in the bottle.

Wne, and WU are common markings, each being one of the warrens. I've seen Amalie's markings...

Today I was looking at the "Spectrum" brand sold at Sears and K-Mart... the Trans fluid is WNE.. the oil.. Umm... it's a unique bottle, and the only mark on the bottom was a Triangle.
Anyone know what that one is?

When grabbing Mystery bargain oil, I feel confident with WNE or WU on the bottom actually meeting the API claim.

How bout that triangle?? and What other markings can you identify here? That'd be a great thread to have the pictures and all.

Major-brand oils usually meet the claimed specs. But this is not always the case with small-brand and auto-store oils; so, be careful.

Petroleum Quality Institute tests many brands. Some brands fails the specs. Wolf's Head and Warren passed the tests. But, for example, O'Reilly failed.

Petroleum Quality Institute Web site

I'm aware of that. The house brands made by WU and WNE/WPP pass PQI consistently... Therefore, when grabbing a generic oil, I flip the bottle to find the maker's mark. Wne, Wpp, WU or Up, are the marks of the 2 warrens. Those are safe bets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back