I would like to extend my OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have a 2012 Nissan Versa 1.8L with 6 speed manual. I live in the mountains in the country on hilly back roads. The car is no longer under the 3 year warranty. I would like to take the car from the Nissan OCI of 3750 miles to 7500 miles or even a 1year 15K mile oil change. I live 25 miles from a larger city. My two places to get oil and filter are Walmart and Advance Autoparts. What oils and filters are designed for a 7500 mile oil change? I see the Fram TG6607 is for my car and a 7500 mile filter. The Fram XG6607 is a 15k mile filter. Which oils will offer a 7500 mile oil change under a severe driving condition? Remember I need to get my oil change from Wally's World.

Mobil 1 5w20 and a Fram Tough Guard filter.....should meet your requirm-
ents.....for 10k or 1 year.

OR......QSUD 5W20 would also be OK for 7500+/- OCI's .....or 1 year....which ever comes first.

While we can give you an idea or even manufacture recommendations. M1 oils would do the job. Amsoil would do the job. Schaeffers offerings would do the job. pick one and let it run the distance, The only way to tell if you don't have the faith in how the oils will last a Used oil analysis would give solid information on how the oils holding up.

Well Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Mobil 1 EP or even their advanced full synthetic, Quaker State ultimate durability, Valvoline synpower, Castrol w titanium gold bottle, Supertech, at 5w30 would do the trick. Fields open on that in my opinion for 7500 miles with all these oils. For 15k I would go with Mobil 1 Extended Performance or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I've used Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, Castrol w titanium gold bottle, Valvoline synpower, Havoline Pro DS. All have done very good. You only considerations are hard mountain driving and cold temp performance. 5w30 in these synthetics would be just fine for western Va cold weather. And in my opinion all if them would hold up just fine in hard mountain driving like up Rte 52 up Walker mountain or Rte 16 from Tazewell to Marion up and over 3 mountains. I've been out there and know how hard some of the roads are to drive on.
smile.gif
its fun to me though.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Nissan powertrain warranty is 5 years, 60K IIRC.

Recheck the OM.

Yeah your warranty is not up. The end of the warranty is when you're most likely to have an engine related issue anyways.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Why are you wanting to extend what nissan says for another 4,000 miles?

Now that we have moved, we no longer live close to anything. We are driving the car more now than we were and we are going through a 3750 mile oil change at $24 a pop faster now. If I can get 7500 miles for say $35 a pop while still providing long engine life...then why not? I would still be offering my car a long life while giving me less work in changing the oil. Plus I have to drive 20 miles round trip to recycle my old oil. Less time, cheaper cost overall, less wear on the car, etc are all reasons why I want to extend my OCI. What was once a 10 mile round trip to get anywhere is now 20-50 miles round trip.

The cheap synthetics should do 7500 with no problems. Think Havoline syn, Magnatec, QSUD, Mobil super synthetic, house brand synthetics, etc.

The upper tier syns should be able to handle 10k (M1, Edge Black, PP)

For 15k, you'll probably want PUP, Edge Gold, or M1 EP.

For 7500, go to AAP and get the cheap Havoline syn special with the P1 filter. For 15k, get the M1 EP and M1 filter at AAP. For 10k, get the PP and M1 filter deal, and get a $10 rebate.

Walmart has good prices, but you have to buy the big jug, while AAP's sales let you get the quart bottles which are easier to pour and better if your car doesn't take all 5 quarts.

Nissan's 1.8L from my experience is one of the toughest smaller 4 cylinders ever made, 245,000 abused (10,000 mile OCI on cheapest dino available) miles and not a single oil related, or any failure for that matter.

Is that Nissan's OCI recommendation 3,750 miles? as I recall the OCI on my Nissan 1.8 in the 2000's was like 7,5000.

I know a person who run their car for 90 000 km four times on one conv oil change and still sold the car for a very good price.

We worry toooo much about the engine...pay more attention to the body of a vehicle...

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Is that Nissan's OCI recommendation 3,750 miles? as I recall the OCI on my Nissan 1.8 in the 2000's was like 7,5000.

The owners manual is 3750 for severe service and 7500 for normal service. I live in the mountains, hills, curves, around 3k-4k feet up. Some dirt roads/ I have to haul the trash myself as there is no trash pickup. Get the idea?
smile.gif

Thank you all the for the advice and help with this car. My wife and I like this car very much and we want to help it last as long as we can while also finding a good value for the money....good bang for the buck.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back