I want to replace AAA - response time is terrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They do have their own guys. I used to be one of them. The demand for the services they provide is unreal. They depend on contractors in certain areas, and in the areas they have corporate outfits when things get behind as well. They don't rely on certain contractors to take certain days either. They have a computerized system and any contractor can choose to be online and accepting calls when they want to. The calls go to whatever truck is available and physically closest to you, then start to stack more calls on you based on your drop off location. Quite the intricate web.

Most competitors are worse. Reality is, if there are storms or cold weather, alot of others are also having the same issues. Its frustrating but what do you expect? I typically get service in under an hour but...depends when... AAA sub contracts when needed but during many times in winter they have so much workload that the wait time is considered undetermined. Go with the company that has the most trucks/contractors at their disposal. I think AAA likely has the most trucks at their disposal. I accept that wait times can be long but for what you pay, its still pretty good.

Originally Posted By: Ewag2983
The calls go to whatever truck is available and physically closest to you, then start to stack more calls on you based on your drop off location. Quite the intricate web.

It would seem logical that long customer wait times make most efficient use of the resources available.

I offered to help push/ pull a college girl in a corolla on junk all-seasons out of a snowy driveway but she said she called AAA, and was clearly engaged with the cognitive dissonance of free help showing up before the paid version. Ok then, wait!

Spend a little time and get contact info from several (3-5) small one or two truck operators in your area. I have a guy that I use like that. He's cheaper than AAA with the discount and quicker, too. One of them might be available right away. Pay cash, refuse a receipt, and after it's done don't forget the tip.

Last year I needed a tow. The AAA contractor's estimate was $105 with an hour wait, possibly more. Victor was $45 plus a $10 tip and the wait was 15 minutes.

See if your insurance company offers a roadside assistance/towing coverage. We pay something like $20/yr for it, you call whatever tow company you want, submit the receipt, and they reimburse you. No worries about who they're contracting with, prioritization, etc.

jeff

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: CKN
There really isn't a viable option.

Much better options. Most insurance companies offer roadside assistance for about a buck/month. They do anything AAA does.
Wait they don't plan your trips or give you maps.(what are maps?)

Sometimes you need to read the WHOLE THREAD......

I have HUM from Verizon $10 a month and you just push the button and they answer and send someone. If you get in an accident they send someone automatically like onstar. I used to work in retail and that is when I got it. Not sure what AAA costs so can’t really compare but maybe would work for some of you.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Spend a little time and get contact info from several (3-5) small one or two truck operators in your area. I have a guy that I use like that. He's cheaper than AAA with the discount and quicker, too. One of them might be available right away. Pay cash, refuse a receipt, and after it's done don't forget the tip.

Last year I needed a tow. The AAA contractor's estimate was $105 with an hour wait, possibly more. Victor was $45 plus a $10 tip and the wait was 15 minutes.

Yeah but will he tow you 100 or 200 miles for that $45?

As others mentioned, I only used them for towing. I can change a tire and I have jumper cables but I haven't had to use them in a long while so I mostly leave it at home. Last time I used it was to help a friend who needed a jump. I did get towed once for 104 miles, they made me pay for the 4 miles, but it was under warranty so the dealer said they'd throw in a free oil change.

If you have a Mercedes, they have free towing to the shop, but you have to get it fixed there or you get the bill. A lot of other automakers have their own services too.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Yeah but will he tow you 100 or 200 miles for that $45?

As others mentioned, I only used them for towing. I can change a tire and I have jumper cables but I haven't had to use them in a long while so I mostly leave it at home. Last time I used it was to help a friend who needed a jump. I did get towed once for 104 miles, they made me pay for the 4 miles, but it was under warranty so the dealer said they'd throw in a free oil change.

If you have a Mercedes, they have free towing to the shop, but you have to get it fixed there or you get the bill. A lot of other automakers have their own services too.

Without sounding anything but concerned if "Victor" is driving a 1965 F450 tow truck I don't know if I want him towing my $30,000.00 pickup. There are minimum standards that AAA has.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I fly Delta and occasionally Southwest. Anything else off topic you want to add that doesn't add to the conversation?

We're talking about auto insurance aren't we ? How can you say I'm off topic ?
confused2.gif

I don't have AAA, but have towed a few times, so keep a few local tow numbers on my phone. The best number to keep is the tow company the local police use, they get priority(so always on call). You might actually call the police , cause they get the best response , guaranteed for towing. Ive done this before.

The issue I have , is some tow companies will try to take advantage and charge you big time.

example, had a front flat on my Motorcycle, it was unridable, about 7 miles from the house. One company wanted $125, plus an extra $95 for a Holiday weekend. I said thanks but I'll call someone else. I said I'll pay the $125, but not the extra $95, they said you'll be lucky to find someone else. Which was probably true, but It was an easy quick call, so another tow company took the job.

The other company charge me $85 flat, much more reasonable. That was a $115 tow, and probably 20 miles from the house. One difference I should mention, AAA or other tow options normally requires a tow to repair shop or dealer , where pay yourself, it goes where you want.

The time I used the police, I didn't have a phone with me, and my alternator broke and Motorcycle was dead. I had to flag someone down and in this day and age, that is a Feat in of itself. All I needed was for them to call the police, which could get me a tow. Worked out fine, once I got someone to stop and phone it in. Cops came, then the tow truck. But dispatch may be able to bypass and call the tow directly, if not the other way works too, with cop showing up, no biggy either way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
I don't have AAA, but have towed a few times, so keep a few local tow numbers on my phone. The best number to keep is the tow company the local police use, they get priority(so always on call). You might actually call the police , cause they get the best response , guaranteed for towing. Ive done this before.

The issue I have , is some tow companies will try to take advantage and charge you big time.

example, had a front flat on my Motorcycle, it was unridable, about 7 miles from the house. One company wanted $125, plus an extra $95 for a Holiday weekend. I said thanks but I'll call someone else. I said I'll pay the $125, but not the extra $95, they said you'll be lucky to find someone else. Which was probably true, but It was an easy quick call, so another tow company took the job.

The other company charge me $85 flat, much more reasonable. That was a $115 tow, and probably 20 miles from the house. One difference I should mention, AAA or other tow options normally requires a tow to repair shop or dealer , where pay yourself, it goes where you want.

The time I used the police, I didn't have a phone with me, and my alternator broke and Motorcycle was dead. I had to flag someone down and in this day and age, that is a Feat in of itself. All I needed was for them to call the police, which could get me a tow. Worked out fine, once I got someone to stop and phone it in. Cops came, then the tow truck. But dispatch may be able to bypass and call the tow directly, if not the other way works too, with cop showing up, no biggy either way.

couldn't edit

The $115 was for the last call using the police, but it was a 20 mile trip, still reasonable

Yeah the cops have prearranged contracts with tow companies and if you get bad service (eg priced over the contract) you can complain to city hall. Just tell them you car broke down and you're very sorry but you're blocking the highway/ a hazard to navigation.

Look at the reasons you've used AAA in the past.
Why was your vehicle towed ?

$85.00 per year is a lot if not used/needed.
What would a Tow Truck Co. charge you for a tow ?
Perhaps cancel AAA and just call Tow Co. yourself.
Keep a list of phone-numbers of local Tow Co's in your area.

Battery: Last time my battery died, it was parked at my home / I was lucky.
Now I plan on proactively changing the battery every 4-5 years.

Empty Gas Can and Jumper Cables - have in your trunk.

Unexpected break-down, how often do they happen ?

I'm kind of surprised at the comments that folks feel 1.5hrs is a long wait for road side assistance? It's pretty rare for any company to be able to respond that quickly in most circumstances. I know in my area, when you call AAA, it's AAA folks and equipment that respond.

Last edited:
I had AAA. I switched to Chevron motor club. Alot cheaper, same services and they are unlimited use unlike AAA. The few times I called them they were fast and easy to work with. They use your phone to track your location and no problems whatsoever.
About $50 a year.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I fly Delta and occasionally Southwest. Anything else off topic you want to add that doesn't add to the conversation?

We're talking about auto insurance aren't we ? How can you say I'm off topic ?
confused2.gif

The OP is talking about AAA auto club. Its a towing service. Hardly auto insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back