I read here to use whatever is cheapest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ndfergy
You guys are lucky. Up here you'd be lucky to get a jug of synthetic on sale for under $35. A jug of conventional (4.4/5L) can be had for around $20. Fortunately my car doesn't need synthetic.

Well we have NAFTA can't you guys just order from Walmart and have it shipped with no duty?

Id pay 2$ for my oil or get the syn you mentionned for 2$. I change oil twice a year so its still really cheap. I prefer to use Full syn, just a habit.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: mclasser
Nothing wrong with house brand oils besides weaker add packs. As a result, I wouldn't use them for extended drain intervals or anything. I bought Napa 0w20 on sale last year and my engine didn't sound any different. I've never been lucky enough to get 99 cent closeout oil like others on here have.
How do you know they have weaker add packs? I see "meets or exceeds" on the cheap stuff. Same verbiage as the name brands. There's no big reward for exceeding the spec. It just cuts down on the profit margin.
grin2.gif

I find "weaker add packs" to be more-or-less a subjective term. Who or what decides an oil is "weaker"? In the case of NAPA, it is often considered "weaker" because it supposedly is made by Ashland to meet a specific price point.

The OP is on the right path: as long as the oil meets the required spec, using whatever is cheapest is the way to go. Overspending on what is perceived to be the "best oil" for regular oil change intervals does nothing but burn a bigger hole in your wallet and doesn't increase nor decrease the longevity of the engine.

I stick with name brand oils for the most part. I'm too lazy to learn or keep up with who is making what product under whichever store brand name... I just look for the cheapest name brand, which meets the desired spec, and call it a day.

Valvoline ML is the cheapest at local WM. And is always in stock.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: ndfergy
You guys are lucky. Up here you'd be lucky to get a jug of synthetic on sale for under $35. A jug of conventional (4.4/5L) can be had for around $20. Fortunately my car doesn't need synthetic.

Well we have NAFTA can't you guys just order from Walmart and have it shipped with no duty?

With the exchange rate and shipping I doubt there would be much of a saving. I only keep one, sometimes two, additional jugs at a time. The wife won't let me change hers in her Camry. She's probably afraid I'll put in my 10w30 dino - she's probably right.

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
I stick with name brand oils for the most part. I'm too lazy to learn or keep up with who is making what product under whichever store brand name... I just look for the cheapest name brand, which meets the desired spec, and call it a day.

Valvoline ML is the cheapest at local WM. And is always in stock.

Simple and Effective.
Good work.

Have a look at this series of UOAs (used oil analysis) all from the same car.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4504834/

There is Amsoil SSO and AMO and M1 EP and many other quality oils, some with high HTHS and high zinc made on quality synthetic base oil.

And...there is one Super Tech 5W30 analysis in that group of oils tested. Yet until they told me which one it was, I could not pick it by the wear metals.

You just need enough oil quality to do the job, after that more doesn't help. Keep the OCI reasonable with respect to the oil and application, then your job is done.

Thanks to all for your replies. It was an interesting conversation. To SR5 and ATex7239 I totally agree with you. No matter the cost or manufacturer of a quality oil, of which there are many, it just doesn't matter these days what you spend on oil. Even if the oil has what may be considered by some to be a weaker add pack it may not matter if you are changing the oil out on a shorter OCI. I do a shorter OCI on both my vehicles due to both makers suggestions on stop and go short trip driving conditions along with my old school hard to break thinking. I am 67 so short changes just come natural for me.

For me at a similar price situation I may have chosen a different oil. That was how I worked it for awhile. But when the local NAPA started this second saturday sale I changed up my oil choice very quickly. It does appear to be a local thing to Boise. Sorry to others who can't get NAPA oil at such a good deal. The local NAPA did say they may not be doing the oil in the future but have other items featured. We shall see how that develops. Meanwhile I will be checking prices this next weekend to see if I buy another box or two of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back