I need to replace motor mounts

Yes, Anchor is a brand and they are junk. I've used them on two early 90's Cavaliers and both fell apart before two years was over and one car was only driven about 5,000 miles.
When it comes to engine mount always go OE, the cheapies never pay because you'll have to do it again in relatively short order, so not only do you lose the money you spent on the cheap part, you have to buy the right part and go through the often intensive labor to replace them again, it never pays to have to do the job twice.

When it comes to engine mount always go OE, the cheapies never pay because you'll have to do it again in relatively short order, so not only do you lose the money you spent on the cheap part, you have to buy the right part and go through the often intensive labor to replace them again, it never pays to have to do the job twice.
I would have but OE doesn't offer them any more for a 92 and 94 Cavalier, at least that I could find.

I would say its very unlikely all 4 are needed, and since its likely only 1 or 2 are bad, you have time to find a semi local reasonable mechanic and get them to have a look. My Focus has 3 mounts, and only 2 of those fail commonly.
A couple tests, put your car in P on a level surface, pop the hood and push it forward an back, if the engine moves too much with no resistance, its a torque mount. Next on a level surface, put the car in N and rev and hold it every 100rpm starting at say 1800rpm. If the interior of the car resonates at rpms in the normal hwy cruising rpm range, anywhere between 2000 to 3000rpm, one of the weight bearing mounts is shot.

For certain things I always buy OE. I'm a firm believer in the adage "The thriftiest man pays the most."

About 90,000

Did you do some offroad rallying with the car, or something extreme like that? I can't imagine wearing out one, much less four, mounts on that car in anything like that mileage.

Do you have someone you can trust who's mechanical to drive it and take a quick look? I've done that for friends and found a lot of ridiculous (and fraudulent) service suggestions given out - particularly to women and older people.

What are anchor mounts? A brand? A type of mount? I plan to go with Toyota mounts.
They are probably the most common aftermarket brand out there and they are junk. You want to get this fixed ASAP as bad mounts put a lot of strain on other parts. I had two vehicles which had their exhaust system and radiator damaged by the enging not staying put when accelerating.

Last edited:
First off... why does your 2011 Camry need motor mounts? Especially being the 4 cylinder. What are your symptoms?
I know on my 11 the top dogbone shows the engine has shifted forward. Also feels like it is thrashing around when taking off, unless if you slip the clutch bad.

Yes it appears "professionals" are ripping off the layperson

My home HVAC guy charged me $149/hr for a messy job I didn't want to do also double overcharged for all parts.

It appears his boss gets the $100 and he gets the $49 which is prostitution.

Overhead = some parts inventory and an old box truck.

I should have mentioned that I plan to use original Toyota mounts.
Make sure it is Made in Japan & not China. I have a 1984 Isuzu P/Up, still has the original engine mounts. It's already 38 yrs & counting.

I'm actually wondering if you should?? 90k miles on the OEM and they're toasted?

How long do you plan on keeping the car?
Yes, I should. I don't yet know for sure if "they're" toasted, but I do believe at least one mount needs replacing. I plan to keep the car until , but at least a couple of years.

I do have plans for some long trips, and I like to know that my vehicle has good and quality parts.

I hope you find an ethical shop. I hate to see people that really need a service because you can't get hardly anything done these days without being gouged. It's like that's the one and only goal - to absolutely milk every opportunity for all you can get.

In my area, certain ethnicities are more of an old school ethic and don't charge crazy prices but you usually have to know somebody to find them.

I have no idea, nor do you. I bought the car used, and it wasn't well cared for.
Not sure how one can abuse motor mounts, especially not in a Camry. Could be a fluke, random early failure. or misdiagnosed. Bummer regardless.

Back