I need some advice again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a 03 Bonneville with 38,000 miles. I have a coolant leak and I have an extended warranty and I can go to any mechanic with it. You think I should still use the dealer or can I go to my mechanic of twenty years. Does it matter?

Who is the extended warranty purchased from?

If the repair were covered by the company no matter which party did the repair, I'd go with the mechanic you trust.

Any competent mechanic should be familiar with troubleshooting coolant issues on FWD gm 3.8 motors...

I purchased my car at a used car dealer and the extended warranty is thrue GE. They told me that I show my extended warranty card to whoever is going to do the work and they get reimbursed for the work. I need to find out if there is a deductable. I heard that the deductable at the dealer is less than a private mechanic but that's if you purchased the extended warranty thrue the dealer. I'm going to go back to where I bought my car and get some info on this. I'm hoping somebody here may have some answers.

GE or GM? If it's an extended factory warranty, you HAVE to take it to a authorized GM dealer. If it's aftermarket, then you might be able to use your mechanic. Deductible is deductible, no matter whom does the work. You could have the infamous intake manifold leak that is pretty common on the 3.3 and 3.8 series engines.

GE. I bought my car at a reputable used car dealer and got it thru them. They told me I can go to any mechanic. I think the dealer would warrant the warranty since I didn't get it through them.

There was a poster recently who said that when he had worked in a shop, the aftermarket warranty company that worked best and gave them the least hassle approving coverage was GE.

But, that was then......

They might let you go to any mechanic you wish, but you can be sure that like any insurance, they have a maximum theyre willing to pay for the work. Better make sure how much it is, else youll be paying deductible and overage... might not come out to much, but you need to watch.

JMH

GE cap were the nicest aftermarket coverage company to deal with. On big jobs they would send out an inspector to look over the diag, verify the concern and approve the job. Never had them reject any of my work.

GE CAP pays straight out of the Chilton book. The only time we had to eat cost was when our parts pricing went overboard, standard fare at a dealer, but we ate the cost, not the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back