I need a new coffee grinder

Oxo is hit and with me. Some of their stuff great other just dies early. That said I didn’t even know they made a grinder. You seem to be a savvy consumer - what sold you?
I have a number of Oxo products in my kitchen and have generally been happy with them. I like that I can set the time/amount of the grind and not have to fuss with it again. The stainless steel collection cup is nice, although it really wasn't a deal point. The size was good. And the discount from Oxo keeping the price down was the cherry on the cake. In terms of value, I doubt that I can find anything as good as the $3.00 garage sale Cuisinart, but this isn't bad compared to other grinders. Time will tell how clever I am.

I got very good service from mine. The consistency of the grind (on the settings I use) has been very good ... nice and even.

Thanks for the tip. I looked at my friend's Baratza this morning and decided that it's not a grinder that I'd want to own. The issue that put it out of contention for me is that I can't set it where I want it and just leave it alone and get the same amount of coffee each and every time.

My friend placed her grinder on a couple of pot holders and they quieted the machine somewhat.
Different models have different options. My baratza I use everyday does timed grind. So I get the same amount every time I push the button.

Different models have different options. My baratza I use everyday does timed grind. So I get the same amount every time I push the button.
Sure, but the model that I found that has that feature is way more expensive than what I care to pay for a grinder. Even the Encore is more than I'd like to spend. It's just a matter of priorities ...

Sure, but the model that I found that has that feature is way more expensive than what I care to pay for a grinder. Even the Encore is more than I'd like to spend. It's just a matter of priorities ...
Understood. I have to be able to control grind size and amount based on bean type and what method I am using. I have 4 grinders for different tasks :)

Understood. I have to be able to control grind size and amount based on bean type and what method I am using. I have 4 grinders for different tasks :)
Oh, I get it, 100%(y). I like to cook and, for example, have 10 skillets of different sizes and materials.

Oh, I get it, 100%(y). I like to cook and, for example, have 10 skillets of different sizes and materials.
Same :) I have an array of cast iron, carbon steel and stainless skillets. I finally got my wife not to be afraid of cast iron, and once she figured it out she loves them.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I found a good price for the OXO (from OXO) and ordered one just a short while ago. Saved a nice chunk of change over the Amazon price.
Which OXO did you get?

They won me as a customer for life recently. We had the OXO adjustable temperature electric pour-over kettle, and my wife accidentally put it on the stove and melted the bottom.

I called to see if they’d sell me just the kettle (the kit that comes with both the kettle and the base is around $100).

They goodwilled me a whole new kit!

I was reading this without intending to comment, but..

You originally had my first burr grinder, the Cuisinart that died. Mine is just packed someplace in my storage and I’ll find it eventually. 🙂

But you bought the very same replacement I did. And I can tell you I’ve had mine for about 10 months and I’ve had no trouble with it at all. It grinds it exactly the way you want, no problem. It’s a nice machine.

Good taste in machines.. 😎

This one:
Conical Burr Coffee Grinder

Nice to know that they provide good customer service. Thanks for that info.
Thanks. I’ve been using this Mr. Coffee entry-level burr grinder for about 10 years.

I’m on my 2nd one in that time. The first one lasted for more than seven years.

I think that’s pretty good service for a $40 grinder that gets fired up at least once a day (I always grind fresh for every pot).

My 2nd one that I’m using now has been going for over 3 years now.

Looks like the price has gone up because they’ve revised the design a bit. I paid less than $40 for both the ones I bought, but now it looks like they’re showing $44.99 for the new version and $54 for the old version.

I’d say it’s an acceptable unit. It probably doesn’t produce the most consistent grind; especially when I’ve spent some $$$ on some expensive beans for pour-over coffee. I think it produces too many “fines” that have the tendency to make the flavor too sharp.

A lot of the reviews I’ve watched on YouTube for coffee grinders try to steer you towards expensive grinders because the reviewer is an espresso drinker.

I don’t really think I need a really fancy grinder because I don’t drink espresso - just brewed black coffee.

I am like you, in that I do like the feature, that the Mr. Coffee has, where it has a timed grinding feature. I do not store beans in the hopper. I always weigh out the beans for the pot that I am brewing, but, I like to be able to just dump the beans in, press, the button, and then I go and get my water, etc., while the beans are grinding. I would not like a grinder where I have to stand there and hold the button during the entire cycle.

However, if I could get a grinder that would produce a little bit more consistent grind, I think I wouldn’t mind spending $100.

I also like the feature of the stainless steel hopper, that the OXO has. The old Mr. Coffee that I am using, has a poly carbonate hopper, that does have a lot of static electricity, and causes the coffee grounds to build up in it. Which is annoying.

Maybe I will ask for the OXO for Christmas.

Last edited:
We have the same Cuisinart grinder, purchased this year, happy with it.
The coffee grinds we use have almost an oil like coating on them and every 3 months or so the ground coffee accumulates/clogs the port that the coffee passes through into the collection bin.
Im sure you maybe aware of this after all the time you owned the machine unless you recently switched coffee beans that are like I describe.

Anyway, the "port" where the ground coffee exits will clog and when bad enough even slow down the motor to a point it sounds like its dying.
To correct it, we take out the collection bin and scape the grinds off the port and good as new.
Here is a photo I took this morning and you can see its starting to build up.
IMG_0139.jpeg

The coffee grinds we use have almost an oil like coating on them and every 3 months or so the ground coffee accumulates/clogs the port that the coffee passes through into the collection bin.
Im sure you maybe aware of this after all the time you owned the machine unless you recently switched coffee beans that are like I describe.

Anyway, the "port" where the ground coffee exits will clog and when bad enough even slow down the motor to a point it sounds like its dying.
To correct it, we take out the collection bin and scape the grinds off the port and good as new.

Yes, I am familiar with the issue. In addition to cleaning the port, I would remove the hopper every now and then and clean the area in which the grinding mechanism sits. Fines can accumulate and I found that using small bamboo skewers get into the tight confines of the area and allow the compressed gunk to be easily removed.

I had 4 of those between gifting them to people and myself.. and all 4 died.. longest one was 15months to death. They do clog up and need cleaned.
the best usually drop the grinds straight down to the hopper/portafilter.

If you get into high end grinders (500+) flat burrs are considered better for fine grinds.. but cheap flat burrs are not better than conical.

Last edited:
Back