I miss something so simple as heated windshield washer nozzles

My previous VW's had heated windshield washer nozzles... back to Toyota, and 0°F washer fluid freezes in the washer nozzles, until I go into an area above freezing so the nozzles, can thaw. Let's hope -20°C De-icer fluid don't freeze in the nozzles.

I normally just buy the dark purple color windshield fluid it contains much higher methanol.

You can help it by adding some alcohol to reservoir, any kind of alcohol works, Vodka, Tequila, Rubbing etc.

I mix de-icer (propylene glycol) with the washer fluid to prevent freezing. But the nozzles still freeze and don't work because water from outside gets into the nozzle orifice and freezes.
A plastic toothpick usually gets them working again. Then I have to use the squirter every 5 minutes or so to prevent the nozzles from freezing up again.

My previous VW's had heated windshield washer nozzles... back to Toyota, and 0°F washer fluid freezes in the washer nozzles, until I go into an area above freezing so the nozzles, can thaw. Let's hope -20°C De-icer fluid don't freeze in the nozzles.
My old BMW had heated nozzles which I never really understood. I mean the hoses and the reservoir were not heated, so why heat just the nozzles? If the fluid is going to freeze won't it freeze everywhere else just the same?

I mix de-icer (propylene glycol) with the washer fluid to prevent freezing. But the nozzles still freeze and don't work because water from outside gets into the nozzle orifice and freezes.
A plastic toothpick usually gets them working again. Then I have to use the squirter every 5 minutes or so to prevent the nozzles from freezing up again.
This might be the answer to my question above.

My old BMW had heated nozzles which I never really understood. I mean the hoses and the reservoir were not heated, so why heat just the nozzles? If the fluid is going to freeze won't it freeze everywhere else just the same?
Some cars have a heated reservoir too...

I would have thought that a platinum badged vehicle would have every last thing in it.

I dont like using the washer, but I get it that its needed when its needed, and needs to work when thats the case.

Id add more alcohol, which will be harder on rubber, wax, and paint... But I guess that is what it is...

Best thing you can do before parking is to use the washer once so the nozzle gets full of de-icer. If it's not used for a while any non de-icer moisture will settle in the nozzles and freeze.

in old diy magazine was picture of washer hose, wound several turns on radiator hose. a bit late when you need heat immediately...
other idea is to use cpu waterblock, and mount some 100-200w heater (ptc)
or a copper pipe with some electric heater mounted on it.
for battery reason, would be best to activate only if engine running..

Low mass at the nozzle affects the freezing of the fluid.

Higher mass of the washer fluid in the reservoir maintains the freezing temperature of the washer fluid you use.

Mass is a important when it comes to freezing of a fluid. Lake Tahoe for instance is known for not freezing over often, due to mass of the lake (due to its depth), even though water is supposed to freeze at 32°F, despite ambient air and ground temperature can easily dip below freezing in the winter.

Low mass at the nozzle affects the freezing of the fluid.

Higher mass of the washer fluid in the reservoir maintains the freezing temperature of the washer fluid you use.

Mass is a important when it comes to freezing of a fluid. Lake Tahoe for instance is known for not freezing over often, due to mass of the lake (due to its depth), even though water is supposed to freeze at 32°F, despite ambient air and ground temperature can easily dip below freezing in the winter.
I have no idea what you're saying there.

I have no idea what you're saying there.
All else equal (at any given temperature), a large amount of water takes longer to freeze. The micro-drop resting at the end of the nozzle orifice freezes more easily and quickly than whatever is in the reservoir tank.

Just curious why you do not like using the washer?
In general I don’t. I find that grit can build up under the wipers and spraying the washer automatically turns on the wipers. So unless I know that everything is very clean, I’m not a fan. Sometimes, like bad winter driving, you don’t have a choice…

Which also struck me as odd since I doubt it is heated while the car is parked, often for an extended period of time.
On Mercedes, the nozzles, hoses and reservoir is heated. Yes, maybe if it's initially frozen, at least once you're driving for a little while, it will defrost it. Of course it wouldn't be heated while it's just sitting there. Defrosted windshield washer fluid later is still better than completely frozen that won't defrost til the temperature goes up.

In general I don’t. I find that grit can build up under the wipers and spraying the washer automatically turns on the wipers. So unless I know that everything is very clean, I’m not a fan. Sometimes, like bad winter driving, you don’t have a choice…
That makes sense. My windshields always get pitted from sand or highway debris anyways. Scratching from the wipers is the least of the windshield problems for my vehicles! If I had a show car I would agree, the washers are not good. Honestly I would be tempted to leave the tank empty.

Back