I love Synology

Pew

Anybody in IT or deep into a computer hobby has probably heard of Synology but I just wanted to share how much I love Synology in case any folks run across a need for a NAS/SAN box. I just ordered two Synology DS1621+ for a company we just acquired as a replacement for their file server. We already use 3 SAN boxes and 2 rack-mounts at our main office and I must say, these things have been the most consistently well packaged and well-built computer-anything I've ever come across. Some models also have PCI-E and RAM expansion slots for more SFP+, USB, eSATA, and RJ45 ports. Only issue I've ran across is the lack of NVM-E slots - which can be alleviated with a PCIE expansion card but then I lose the SFP+ card.

I have a Synology NAS box at home and they're more expensive than a traditional consumer versions from companies like Netgear and WD but if you're more of a power user, I think you'll like the huge amount of packages that are available to download directly onto the Synology from their built-in DSM manager like a email server, active directory, firewall, DMZ, etc etc etc. I believe all the models also have tool-less insertable drive trays. You'll just need to screws the drives into the trays themselves (pic below).

All Synology boxes can also be access remotely via their "QuickConnect" which will assign a weblink automatically from Synology so you can access and manage the drive from anywhere with internet access. This feature is disabled by default.

Here's some pictures of the unboxing and what it looks like from the outside and inside:
1686754300715.jpg

1686754327363.jpg

1686754343695.jpg

1686754372907.jpg

1686754465404.jpg

1686754477824.jpg

Here it is with the sold-separately SFP+ expansion card.

1686754391482.jpg

Additional RAM can be added in from a panel at the bottom:
1686754450893.jpg

Drive trays waiting for 3.84TB SSDs.
1686754497761.jpg

I have a DS918+ (just using it as a 4-bay) in my home for storage and I also use it as a Plex server and backup storage for PCs. Rock solid. We also use them at work for file storage. I'm in IT, but I'd also recommend these for home use. Plenty of YouTube vids to guide Joe Homeowner as well...

I have a DS918+ (just using it as a 4-bay) in my home for storage and I also use it as a Plex server and backup storage for PCs. Rock solid. We also use them at work for file storage. I'm in IT, but I'd also recommend these for home use. Plenty of YouTube vids to guide Joe Homeowner as well...

I think we actually have two of the DS918+ at work. None of our Synology boxes at work have ever had a failure except one old box from 2015 where the IT admin before me set it up oddly, like no link aggregation, two IP addresses, and without iSCSI.

I have a DS220+ at home with two rust spinners as a media server and general storage. I'm loving it but wondering if I should go ahead and replace the HDD with SSDs.

I think we actually have two of the DS918+ at work. None of our Synology boxes at work have ever had a failure except one old box from 2015 where the IT admin before me set it up oddly, like no link aggregation, two IP addresses, and without iSCSI.

I have a DS220+ at home with two rust spinners as a media server and general storage. I'm loving it but wondering if I should go ahead and replace the HDD with SSDs.
I'd like to replace my spinners with SSD but last time I checked it was pretty spendy. I'm using about 30% of 16TB, which translates down to 10.something (IIRC) after using their proprietary file/RAID style system, so I wouldn't want to lose any storage. I have had to replace 1 failed drive and it recovered everything perfectly. I was using link aggregation but broke the link for some reason I don't recall, so just using the 1 port for now. Maybe I ran out of ports on that switch I was using or something. We've moved since then so I will probably go back to link aggregation if I ever remember while I'm at home....

Back in the day we had a NAS cube that was called SANCUBE made by the company I worked for MicroNet. At maximum it had a whole 270GB of storage-4 users.

I was their Western Regional Sales Manager. We sold RAID storage devices.

Makes me wonder how much power I could save if I ran a multi-bay NAS and served it to an i5 or i7 NUC/MiniDesktop/etc. over iSCSI. I only run about 5-8 VMs.

PowerEdge with 16 spinning 1.2TB SAS drives says its consuming 150watt... but who knows how true that is.

I like yesterdays servers retired to retirement duty serving as a NAS. Very robust. I seek out ones that have low power cpu;s.

But yes synology is top notch for what they are. WD has a Sentinal and it was a complete turd. They put windows server 2008 R2 essentials on their DS series and it was unable to be restored should you have a crash. If you did not clone the system disk when you first got it, you basically were screwed if it ever crashed.

Back in the day we had a NAS cube that was called SANCUBE made by the company I worked for MicroNet. At maximum it had a whole 270GB of storage-4 users.

I was their Western Regional Sales Manager. We sold RAID storage devices.

I had to google what that looked like. "Micro" is an exaggeration!

1686771212415.jpg

Makes me wonder how much power I could save if I ran a multi-bay NAS and served it to an i5 or i7 NUC/MiniDesktop/etc. over iSCSI. I only run about 5-8 VMs.

PowerEdge with 16 spinning 1.2TB SAS drives says its consuming 150watt... but who knows how true that is.

You'd probably be saving a good amount on your power and cooling bill. 150w seems very, very low but that seems plausible if the majority of them were idling. Our main servers are ProLiant DL380 Gen9 and each one has dual 600w (or 800, I can't remember) PSUs with "only" 14 drives but I'll have to see how much power each server is pulling next time I'm in the office.

With the DS1621+, you could run up to 8 VMs if you max out to 32GB of RAM in the boxes. I think you could easily spend under $2000 with a Synology 1522+ (~$600), max out the RAM, add whatever drives you want, and be ahead.

Yes, they are very good. I've used most of the major brands over the years. Datto is really good for their VM cloning backup capability, but that has a recurring cost. QNAP is kind of a "low-to-mid tier" offering, does iSCSI well, but I've had mixed results with their software and their firmware updates bricking their units, which takes a LONG time to recover from. They do however provide support a LOT longer than Netgear and WD.

Drobo is one I have limited exposure to. An SMB buddy of mine has one, it has been extremely reliable, but not really sure on their product support.

• Love
Reactions: Pew
Yes, they are very good. I've used most of the major brands over the years. Datto is really good for their VM cloning backup capability, but that has a recurring cost. QNAP is kind of a "low-to-mid tier" offering, does iSCSI well, but I've had mixed results with their software and their firmware updates bricking their units, which takes a LONG time to recover from. They do however provide support a LOT longer than Netgear and WD.

Drobo is one I have limited exposure to. An SMB buddy of mine has one, it has been extremely reliable, but not really sure on their product support.

I have an older QNAP TS453pro from before I started that's still operational for some old archives, although it's not in active use anymore and I should probably go remove it off the network....

Back