I hate Texas toll road!

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
AFAIK, you can't avoid Avis billing you for the toll. I tried to self pay a toll between the 5 and 405 in CA, ironically, and it said the lic plate is already registered to pay the toll. If you don't activate/open the tag, they will bill at a higher rate and likewise you. There are no toll booths; they bill by mail if you don't have a tag.

Does Avis incorporate an additional processing fee for tolls? Other rental companies do and that can add up real quick.

Toll Roads are tax collectors, its rare that once a roadway is paid for that you will see the toll come down.

Electric vehicles are not causing states to lose a heck of a lot of income just yet, as only 2% of vehicle's on roads are electric, not only that, but they are normally smaller vehicles = less road wear and tear.

Yet, with that said, electric vehicle owners will start to pay their fair share as many states are adopting increased registration fees for electric vehicles and rightly so. One thing for sure, states will make sure people pay!

Add to that, thank god,I think the government program of taking money out of my paycheck and giving it to people who buy electric cars is ending.

:eek:)

Last edited:
Austin area has toll roads. I find it better than driving on I-35 during the busy times.

I really love toll road 130 far East with little traffic and 80 MPH speed limit.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
And I thought Texans hating California gas price was bad. I am now renting a car in Dallas trying to Google map my way around and all of a sudden I am accidentally on one.

Btw, I didnt sign up for the etoll tag of Avis budget, and I didn't turn the thing on, how do I pay by mail without the rental company charge me $7 a day for the admin fee for a 50c toll?

Please call avis proactively and tell them, they will add it to you bill, next time just pay for ezpass.

Avis will get a toll violation, you can look up toll violation by license plate on the toll providers website and pay it with a credit card, I would try this first. you avis bill should have the lic plate information.

I had this on a rental in Dallas with an Enterprise rental, I had 2 other people in the car (which theoretically means I was exempt in the HOV lane), had to use the interstate over the causeway for 1 exit, TX toll authority couldn't tell me if I owed anything or not by plate number. If Enterprise dinged my CC, I never saw it! Their system is nothing like the ones here in the Midwest, it seems to be a screwed-up mess there.

Originally Posted by stockrex
And I thought Texans hating California gas price was bad. I am now renting a car in Dallas trying to Google map my way around and all of a sudden I am accidentally on one.

Btw, I didnt sign up for the etoll tag of Avis budget, and I didn't turn the thing on, how do I pay by mail without the rental company charge me $7 a day for the admin fee for a 50c toll?

Please call avis proactively and tell them, they will add it to you bill, next time just pay for ezpass.

Avis will get a toll violation, you can look up toll violation by license plate on the toll providers website and pay it with a credit card, I would try this first. you avis bill should have the lic plate information.

I am likely paying Avis $11 a day for the whole 10 days instead of $6 a day plus the pay by mail rate of what I use. Texas system seems confusing and we are trying to pay by mail myself instead of the Avis $6 a day fee.

I managed to avoid Austin and Corpus Christi toll road completely. I couldn't at all between Arlington and North Dallas until I found the avoid toll road option on the map, and even then I got confused that SH161 is actually the frontage instead of the PGBT. I like GB better than the road.

You would expect that map software will lead you to the free road instead of a $6 toll road that is 1 min faster, but nope...

Please.... You probably saved more in gas costs alone vis-Ã -vis California to more than pay for the tolls. Not to mention motels and other costs are lower as well. A small price to pay.

My overall tax burden would probably be 3x higher to live in California than Texas.

I hardly see any EV or hybrids in Texas and even when I see them only around Austin. I expect this as I am no longer in California.

Fuel efficiency across the board is getting much better, so gov has to find new way to tax you, toll is not a tax so it means freedom I guess?

I'd say comparing Allen to Santa Clara, the housing price is 1/4 and the property tax is 1/2, but if you keep your house for 30 years Texas property tax will end up being 2x due to California prop 13. For tech job I heard Texas pay about 30% less after tax and isn't the same career growth grade. For typical blue collar jobs I see no reason to stay in California.

I personally think Seattle would be better for new grad tech worker than both Texas and California now.

Last edited:
You don't see as many electrics or hybrids because gas is $2.00 gallon right now versus $3.50 in San Francisco.

A toll is a user fee in lieu of higher taxes as far as most are concerned.

When you reach 65 in Texas, they cut your school property taxes in half and freeze some other property taxes.

I'd say comparing Allen to Santa Clara, the housing price is 1/4 and the property tax is 1/2, but if you keep your house for 30 years Texas property tax will end up being 2x due to California prop 13. For tech job I heard Texas pay about 30% less after tax and isn't the same career growth grade. For typical blue collar jobs I see no reason to stay in California.

I personally think Seattle would be better for new grad tech worker than both Texas and California now.

If you can find a place to live.

Originally Posted by Burt
Please.... You probably saved more in gas costs alone vis-Ã -vis California to more than pay for the tolls. Not to mention motels and other costs are lower as well. A small price to pay.

My overall tax burden would probably be 3x higher to live in California than Texas.

Motel definitely, but you have to compare with reasonable density though. It is like the whole Texas has more motels than gas stations and nobody but the best are fully occupied, and they all build the motels in empty land so others can build there and dominate later.

If I compare my gas usage here to when I was in Montana and Wyoming, it is about slightly less. I am OK paying for the toll but I just don't like the heart attack moment that I am somehow accidentally on one. Come to think of it I think I have more problem in general with Texans road lacking signs than the toll road itself.

I am a bit annoyed with rental agent charging more fees than my toll bill.

Kia Optima FE is a good surprise. The interior is nice and almost Impala level, but no heated and cooled seats, and gets me between 32 to 36 mpg depends on how I drive. There seems to be no mountain in Texas other than a couple between major cities. So maybe that's why the mpg is so good.

The car downshift fast and will keep the rpm high as I wanted, not shy going to and staying at 4 to 6k rpm. No adjustable seats means the whole bottom is a flat cushion so nothing to pinch my butt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Burt
You don't see as many electrics or hybrids because gas is $2.00 gallon right now versus $3.50 in San Francisco.

You think people buy EVs just to save gas?

We do not have any toll roads in my area .

If you do not like Texas , do you remember how you got here ?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

I like Texas, just not the heart attack moment on the road. Staying in North Dallas mostly but do go on road trips.

Thank you for being nice and kind, I'll stay out of the toll road if I am not accidentally on one again, and I'll leave tomorrow.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

I was thinking it, but didn't want to say it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
Another bright idea here that is coming is to tax all driver 2.5¢ per mile. The state will drop their part of the fuel tax. ....

Maybe...That's the promise but somehow I feel that will be forgotten if the mileage tax comes to pass. Then again, I lean towards being cynical.
wink.gif

Back