I *HATE* all the internet spying

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was homeless living on the street, the one thing that's mine and will always possess is my name.
A long time ago, really long time, I saw what was going on with data and thought and still do, that there should be an internet users Bill of Rights. Not complicated, if an entity, be it an individual or a corporation gains income from your name you should be compensated. Might only be $2 each time but there should be compensation. I got laughed at then too. This data is used like currency between corporations and that's ok as long as I receive compensation for someone using something that is mine. If my info is sold then it has a dollar value and I should get a chunk of that.
Now someone might say the amount won't add up to much. Even so, my name, my info is mine.
When my heart stops beating and I go to that great big fully stocked paddock area in the sky next to a selection of my favorite racetracks, my name and info will still be attached to my corpse, surely that has to be worth something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shannow
...wouldn't your insurance company pay dearly to see what your own personal google health searches to webmd and the like are, to rack up the potential pre-existing conditions

They already know. Most health care plans have prescription drug coverage of some type. If they're paying for it, they know what you're taking. If you're prescribed Victoza, Metformin, or a host of other blood sugar lowering medications, they know you're a diabetic. This isn't rocket science for them. It's common sense. They have doctors, statisticians, along with people representing drug companies on their payroll to decipher and categorize all of this information.

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of other data mining tools at their disposal to gather information from other sources on your health, along with how much of a risk you are, or could become. Just because they can't outright get your medical records, doesn't mean they can't find out what's wrong with you, along with how expensive of a risk you are. And they don't need, "Web MD" to find out.

Just like how you can't hide your driving record from auto insurance companies. Or keep a criminal past hidden from an employer. If you are sick, with a history of expensive treatments and medications in your past, health insurance companies will know it. And if they find that you lied, or withheld any asked for information, they'll drop you faster than a hot brick.

Most all of this, "Just imagine if they knew!" nonsense, has already been common knowledge to them for years. With additional data pouring in all the time. And all of it is going to be far more costly to you, than if they had a Go Pro watching you take a crap, or bang your wife.

https://www.consumerreports.org/health-privacy/prescriptions-not-secret/

https://www.propublica.org/article/...-about-you-and-it-could-raise-your-rates

Originally Posted by Cujet
You think that's bad....

Creepy and amazing at the same time.

YIKES!!!!!!

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

An old classmate of mine posted his story about that stuff on Facebook not long ago. What happened was he ran into a Walmart and bought a package of English Muffins. He used the self-checkout and paid cash. Later that day he was on FB and rec'd ads for ..... English Muffins. Coincidence ? Nope

1) The self-checkouts have cameras. His image can be (was) shared by data mining companies and facial recognition can link those photos with ones he's posted online, i.e. Facebook, and they can make pretty accurate guesses that it's him. Combine that with location data - items purchased in the same geographical area as where he's known to live - and they can narrow down the accuracy match even more. If they're wrong, big deal.... They showed a random person an ad.
2) One of his friends works for Oracle and suggested that his smart phone is to blame based on information and technology she's familiar with from working at a big data business like Oracle.

Here's what is going to happen next:

You buy a "Value Pack" of Twinkies/Zingers and the next thing you know, you get a notice from your health insurance that you deductible just increased by 100%

Don't tell me "that will never happen" because you KNOW it will

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by Shannow
...wouldn't your insurance company pay dearly to see what your own personal google health searches to webmd and the like are, to rack up the potential pre-existing conditions

They already know. Most health care plans have prescription drug coverage of some type. If they're paying for it, they know what you're taking. If you're prescribed Victoza, Metformin, or a host of other blood sugar lowering medications, they know you're a diabetic. This isn't rocket science for them. It's common sense. They have doctors, statisticians, along with people representing drug companies on their payroll to decipher and categorize all of this information.

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of other data mining tools at their disposal to gather information from other sources on your health, along with how much of a risk you are, or could become. Just because they can't outright get your medical records, doesn't mean they can't find out what's wrong with you, along with how expensive of a risk you are. And they don't need, "Web MD" to find out.

Agreed - - they have far too many profits at stake to NOT find out this information

I use Opera and don't have this problem. It's ad-blocking ability is excellent and I have CCleaner running that clears the internet cache and cookies regularly. Anything I do want to search for that I don't want a record of I do in a "Private browsing window" Not using any of the big search engines helps the most though.

It bothers me that there is this sort of tracking across the internet and its quite the pest. All the retailers are guilty of doing it so you would end up boycotting everyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
The rise of VPNs should probably tell you that there are enough people that care about privacy and don't have an "I don't have anything to hide" mantra as it isn't about your innocence or how innocuous your lifestyle is, it's about the usage and illegal taking of information. Collectively and independently, that information may be telling interested parties something that will matter to you at some point when it's used against you ( or a collective "you" ) years after "you didn't have anything to hide". That relates to data usage and what can derived from it and not some "conspiracy-think" outcome. I think you just have to follow the issues with "Big Data" or the NSA's Prism program to understand the concept.

+1

All these people that can't think past Friday who "don't care" WILL BE MADE TO CARE one day soon when the invasion of privacy catches them when they least expect it or are forced to do something that hurts them financially.

Then they will be loud-mouthed advocates against it....

I can't believe the number of people willingly buying and installing listening devices in their homes, cameras that can and are accessed by outsiders, etc. Unreal.

Originally Posted by thooks
Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
The rise of VPNs should probably tell you that there are enough people that care about privacy and don't have an "I don't have anything to hide" mantra as it isn't about your innocence or how innocuous your lifestyle is, it's about the usage and illegal taking of information. Collectively and independently, that information may be telling interested parties something that will matter to you at some point when it's used against you ( or a collective "you" ) years after "you didn't have anything to hide". That relates to data usage and what can derived from it and not some "conspiracy-think" outcome. I think you just have to follow the issues with "Big Data" or the NSA's Prism program to understand the concept.

+1

All these people that can't think past Friday who "don't care" WILL BE MADE TO CARE one day soon when the invasion of privacy catches them when they least expect it or are forced to do something that hurts them financially.

Then they will be loud-mouthed advocates against it....

I can't believe the number of people willingly buying and installing listening devices in their homes, cameras that can and are accessed by outsiders, etc. Unreal.

You've gotta think that if your mindset is fatalistic to a preferred degree about personal information, then you've already made your bed to lie in whatever the future outcome. I think this issue's a little more dynamic than "they're just gonna do what they're gonna do anyway" and not care...but it's represented by "what do I have to hide??" and not "what do I potentially have to lose??" or a more topical example like "is technology defining something in that information gathering that I'd be railing against on BITOG but because of my attitude, acquiesce to in my real life?? Although I think the idea of "big data" is a little overblown in actual applied reality, how close it becomes to giving away your Social Security number probably isn't helped by folks who define it as "the future" in a more benign sense than it actually is...

I hate it too but have found it makes no difference. You either get ads about stuff your into or non related ads. I have just found its easier to ignore all of them.

And tell us exactly what will change when they are, "made to care"? If you "care" or not doesn't matter in the least. Your privacy has not been, "invaded". It's long gone. This technology is already upon us, and is increasing every day.

And like it or not, approve of it or not, it doesn't matter because regardless of how you feel about it, you are being subjected to it. And will continue to be, in an ever increasing manner. And there is nothing you can do about it. And if you think there is, it all falls under the same category of hitting yourself on the head with a hammer. Because it feels good when you stop.

Whatever method you employ to go out of your way to use, in some ill fated attempt to avoid all of this, will be circumvented by further increases in technology. Your information is already out there. Companies already have it. Complaining about it is not going to make you less of a "victim" of it. Just because people aren't griping about it, doesn't mean they like it. Most have just accepted it, because they realize there is nothing that can be done about it. As technology increases, so will your loss of whatever personal privacy you have left.

And forget about laws to prevent it. They are having a hard enough time trying to get laws past to prevent people from texting while they're driving. And you actually think they will stop data mining, and electronic gathering methods, to harvest personal information? Dream on. And this technology is getting cheaper and more user friendly all the time. As it does it's use will only increase. Regardless of how much you complain about it.

It's natural for people to resist change, or be happy giving up their personal space. Many still like to pay their bills, and send in their tax returns snail mail. They soon won't be able to, regardless of how much they kick and scream. People still like to write and receive paper checks. Instead of doing financial transactions on line with direct deposit or payment. That is fast going the way of the carbureted automobile. The fact that some still don't like it doesn't change a thing. Technology and time stands still for no one. If it did we would still have breaker points in our cars, and vacuum tubes in our TV's.

Its pretty darn easy for Americans to cut down on tracking, 95% wont bother/companies know this and the companies could care less about the other 5%,

Like a rodent, all you have to do is offer free food and they could care less what they give up.
Same with 90% of the population.

If your that 10% -

Dont use gmail or any others, use Proton Mail (or the equal)

Use ABP (AD Block Plus)

Use Ghostery

Disable 3rd party cookies

Firefox or Opera browser (private mode if you really want to get crazy)

Cloudflair VPN on your cell phone, get another VPN for your home computers ...

The above is for starters ...

Its not that hard but we Americans could care less - just keep feeding the rodents and they will take the free stuff.

or just make an excuse to believe the others who say that its pointless to try, that is the dumbest comment of all. More or less, just give in, let them rape your private information, ummm, I think not but most are taught to submit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Its pretty darn easy for Americans to cut down on tracking, 95% wont bother/companies know this and the companies could care less about the other 5%,

Like a rodent, all you have to do is offer free food and they could care less what they give up.
Same with 90% of the population.

If your that 10% -

Dont use gmail or any others, use Proton Mail (or the equal)

Use ABP (AD Block Plus)

Use Ghostery

Disable 3rd party cookies

Firefox or Opera browser (private mode if you really want to get crazy)

Cloudflair VPN on your cell phone, get another VPN for your home computers ...

The above is for starters ...

Its not that hard but we Americans could care less - just keep feeding the rodents and they will take the free stuff.

or just make an excuse to believe the others who say that its pointless to try, that is the dumbest comment of all. More or less, just give in, let them rape your private information, ummm, I think not but most are taught to submit.

And I'm sure they will never come up with a way to circumvent any of that. Not a chance.
smirk2.gif

Auto insurance companies know your driving record.

Health care companies know what prescription drugs you are taking. Along with hospital visits you've had for any past surgeries or illnesses.

Magazines sell addresses of who their subscribers are.

Employers know if you have a criminal record, or use drugs.

Businesses and credit card companies are paid to give up financial information on who their customers are. And what they purchased, and for how much, where and when.

There is an electronic trail of everything you buy, along with who you purchased it from. Regardless of how you pay for it.

Body shops and car dealerships nationwide are compensated to give up VIN numbers of repaired vehicles. How much, and what kind of damage was done. (Carfax and the like).

Loan companies, banks, and credit unions all sell information on debt their customers are carrying. How much and for what. As well as their credit ratings, along with what investments they have.

Funny how outfits like AARP know exactly how old you are. And just when to send you those applications to join. It's almost as if someone told them your birthday.

And you think you're going to stop all of this by cancelling "cookies" in your browser? Or get around it by using, "Duck Duck Go", or getting rid of your G-Mail account? Keep dreaming and banging your sissy cup on your high chair. And I'm sure they'll stop when they see just how upset they've made you.

..... a bunch of stuff....

It's people like you who will get it one day, realize that your privacy is worth something, realize that you've been financially damaged because of all the surveillance and YOU are going to be the one screaming about it from the rooftop.

Also....it's not about "advertising".... This is another thing that many people just can't get. Too bad. It's a little too much to explain on an internet forum. Sad that people can't think this through.

It's people like you who will get it one day, realize that your privacy is worth something, realize that you've been financially damaged because of all the surveillance and YOU are going to be the one screaming about it from the rooftop.

"People like me"? Look, don't whine to me. I'm not the one mining your data. I'm just telling you there isn't a dam thing you can do about any of it. And all of it is going to get worse, not better as time marches on. That's the price you pay to live in a modern world of advanced technology, in the information age.

And I value my privacy every bit as much as you or the next guy. All I am telling you is it's not going to do you any good to go up on the roof, and bark at the Moon over it non stop. I could be "financially damaged", or have my identity stolen just like you or anyone else could. The difference is I'm not going to lose sleep over it like you are. Please tell me what good it would do if I did?

When I was younger I let everything bother me, and or get to me. There was nothing I could do about it then. Just as there is nothing I can do about it now. When you get older you show less emotion over these type of things. Because it does you no good to get all worked up over it. It's like the Commander of Apollo 13, Jim Lovell said when he was asked if they ever panicked. He said, "We thought about it. But if we bounced off the walls screaming and yelling for 10 minutes, we would just find ourselves right back in the same place, only more tired. So we figured, why bother".

It make as much sense then as it does now.

While I don't let this type of thing bother me, I'm also not just going to sit and "take it" because there is nothing you can do.
There is plenty one can do to limit data collection. For one, don't let your home become one big smart device with everything connected to the internet, including some of the appliances.
Another is to turn off all the data gathering options on your smartphone, which are on by default, or any other device that needs to be connected. If you install a new app, go through settings and limit its permissions and data gathering options right away.
The browser on your computer can also be optimised to track very limited amount. Some like DuckDuckGo don't track at all.

While all of this will not eliminate tracking, because it can't, it will keep it at the very minimum. That minimum tracking actually makes quite a big difference.

..... a bunch of stuff....

Also....it's not about "advertising".... This is another thing that many people just can't get. Too bad. It's a little too much to explain on an internet forum. Sad that people can't think this through.

Agree, as you might have guessed by reading my post on this page or a page back. People amaze me, the majority always take the easy way out, dont stand up for anything, then one day they wake up and demand some over paid public servant fix it for them.

Pretty much, people just roll over and spread their legs, its the easy way out of work.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
While I don't let this type of thing bother me, I'm also not just going to sit and "take it" because there is nothing you can do.
There is plenty one can do to limit data collection. For one, don't let your home become one big smart device with everything connected to the internet, including some of the appliances.
Another is to turn off all the data gathering options on your smartphone, which are on by default, or any other device that needs to be connected. If you install a new app, go through settings and limit its permissions and data gathering options right away.
The browser on your computer can also be optimised to track very limited amount. Some like DuckDuckGo don't track at all.

While all of this will not eliminate tracking, because it can't, it will keep it at the very minimum. That minimum tracking actually makes quite a big difference.

AS you and thooks, I agree and if you read the responses, like I think I said in past posts 90% of the population could care less how much of their information and information of their kids is sold to the highest bidders all over the world, nor do they care how much these sites learn about how their mind works, so AI can figure out what triggers them to click on ads and buy stuff, exactly like a rodent in a cage.

It is true though, thooks said, its really too much to get into in a forum. Bottom line is, people will always take the easy way out, roll over, let any company do whatever they want, hey it is a free country, these people can roll over and let these companies do what they want to them but they are wrong for discouraging others, meaning, just because they are too lazy to fight, they should not make excuses of why they do not. Crap, there wouldnt even be a USA if for that thinking.

Its just amazing ....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back