I didn't expect to find this: water pump rust PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing some work on my 1999 Nissan Frontier this weekend. It's a 2.4L, 2wd model. It has 144k miles and runs great. I'm replacing the front crank seal and oil pan seal, as they're just starting to leak.

When I went to replace the front seal, I noticed the water pump was starting to leak a little out of the weep hole. When I pulled the old pump off, I was surprised to find rust on the impeller. There's also a line of rust inside the timing cover, as if there was a water line sitting there at some point.

This appears to be the OE pump. It's marked "Atsugi" and "hecho en Mexico." A Mexican water pump is not a surprise, as this engine was made in Mexico.

The stained line in the block almost makes me think that the motor sat at some point partially drained of coolant. It seems like a line that would form at the surface when the block was only half full. The first thing I thought was that perhaps this isn't the original engine. The staining seems like the type that would form if the engine sat somewhere with the cooling system only partially filled, like in a junkyard.

I've owned this truck since 2007, when it had 60k miles. The coolant has always looked bright green and clean, and the coolant I drained looked fine. I replaced the coolant a few years ago. I'm the 3rd owner of this vehicle. The previous owner didn't mention anything about the engine being replaced, but who knows. I haven't tried to find a casting number or serial number on the block to see if it's original.

This vehicle has been basically problem free since I bought it. Before the work this weekend, all I've done is normal maintenance, replace one radiator hose and the valve cover gasket.

Thoughts or ideas from anyone?

IMG_0075-1000.jpg

IMG_0076-1000.jpg

IMG_0081-1000.jpg

Last edited:
If you are in doubt, check the vin tag on the block

It does look a little odd though... I wonder why it would do that...

Last edited by a moderator:
You should replace the green coolant every 2 years and use distilled water, not from the garden hose.

Your pump propellers look good, a friend brought over a 91 Ford Astro van that was running hot. Took the pump off and the propellers were rusted off, gone, just a rusty circle spinning, and Ford garage couldn't figure it out!

Don't mix coolant with tap water, and change it every 2 years or before.

Could try a little RMI-25 coolant additive, which supposedly helps clean out the cooling system, if you're concerned about rust or corrosion buildup elsewhere. I have run this in many vehicles with no adverse effect... difficult to say if it really helps as they've all been clean to begin with!

Ive seen this alot with Dex Cool coolant ,,I have changed many water pumps,intake gaskets,and head gaskets cause after awhile it rust and corrodes any aluminum / metal in a engine block----FACT not fiction dex cool lovers

Atsugi is the OE for at least some Nissan engine oil pumps, so it's reasonable to assume that your water pump is the factory original, being an Atsugi.

Seems odd to me. Tap water only causes a problem if the water is hard and then it would be white. Distilled water is always better.

I agree that the block probably sat with plain water in it at some point and only partially full.

Do you use Prestone "All Models/All Makes" coolant? I understand it's a DexCool OAT (Organic Acid Technology) clone, which takes some time (up to 5000 miles) to develop good protection for parts and passages in contact with the coolant. OAT provides better protection for parts when they are fully submerged in the coolant. As you already suspect, it looks like part of the pump wasn't submerged in coolant for some length of time.

Since the Vehicle is a Nissan, you might consider using the factory recommended coolant or Zerex Asian Vehicle Formula, which is a Hybrid-OAT with phosphate inhibitors that should offer faster protection for your cooling system. And also make sure the cooling system is completely filled.

The gray RTV seems like an obvious sign that the pump has been off before. Or do they use silicone at the factory?

Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey
The gray RTV seems like an obvious sign that the pump has been off before. Or do they use silicone at the factory?

Nope, RTV silicone is what they use at the factory. Same for the oil pan and timing cover. Most aftermarket water pumps come with a paper gasket, so the silicone is actually a pretty strong indication that it's probably the original pump.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: Christopher Hussey

Nope, RTV silicone is what they use at the factory. Same for the oil pan and timing cover. Most aftermarket water pumps come with a paper gasket, so the silicone is actually a pretty strong indication that it's probably the original pump.
Doesn't look too bad for an original pump.

I've been thinking about this situation, and I have a hypothesis.

Here are a couple things I know:
-The truck was driven infrequently by the owner I bought it from.
-The lower radiator hose sprung a leak and was repaired at the dealer. I have the receipt from this service.

So, here's my guess - the lower radiator hose started leaking. Part of the coolant leaked out, leaving the block only partially full. The vehicle sat for a while, which allowed the rusty water line to form. The owner noticed the leak the next time he went to drive it and had it repaired at the dealer.

Just a complete guess, of course.

Over the weekend, I looked into water pumps.

I originally chose a GMB pump from Advance. Using a discount code it was about $25 after tax. It was made in Thailand and appeared to be good quality, but it had some significant differences from the OE pump. After I took it out of the box, I noticed it was missing the machined channel around the edge for the RTV silicone. It also had a different impeller than the OE pump. The impeller had 7 small blades instead of six larger blades. I decided to return it.
gmbwaterpump.jpg

Today I ordered an Aisin through Worldpac at my local Car Quest. Since Car Quest owns Worldpac, my local store can get all kinds of quality import parts.

The Aisin pump was considerably more expensive at $57, but it has the same impeller configuration as the OE pump and the channel for the silicone sealant. I could have saved about $15 by buying the pump online, but I didn't want to wait for it to be delivered.

Aisinwaterpump.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back