I did something stupid today

I'm 69 as well. And after 32 years of living in the desert, I've come to respect it. It takes several lives here every year.... All ages. I don't do much outside in the dead of Summer. Most everything I try to get done as soon as it's light enough to see. The very early morning hours are the best.

Once the Sun get up and shining, the heat rises quickly. And unlike the humid south and Midwest, it doesn't seem it's as hot as it is. You can dehydrate in almost no time.

I used to race bicycles and now the only bike I like is a motorbike. I'm considering a small fun bike like a scooter or enduro in the near future.

We don't get many days over 100 where I live, but plenty in the 90's with high humidity. I can't think of a ride I've postponed. I haven't had any symptoms of dehydration or heat exhaustion, however I do keep an eye out for that. Normally I don't notice the heat, except when stopping. I am curious if its me being ignorant, conditioning, genetics or just dumb luck that I'm not bothered while riding. On those same hot days, I've occasionally quit working outside (reroofing part of out house, cutting firewood), because of the heat.
I like to blame the breeze from moving while riding, but imagine there's something else.

At my local gym, there are a number of 80 something athletes. They are all thin, wiry and work out regularly. One guy does a number of pull ups.

I'm convinced that one can maintain a excellent level of fitness at any age. It may take some active supplementation to maintain muscle strength and adequate blood flow.

Scott were you riding alone? I know you're an experienced rider, but there may be other days where that will happen. I'm sure it would be hard for you to stop riding, but you may need to slow it down a bit. If you passed out it could have been fatal with cars coming by and not paying attention.

Glad you are ok.

At my local gym, there are a number of 80 something athletes. They are all thin, wiry and work out regularly. One guy does a number of pull ups.
Same at my gym. I always feel a little bad when I have to reduce the weight after an 70-80 year old guy leaves an exercise machine. I'm more of a high-reps-to-failure-on-low-weight kind of guy (reduce joint stress) but man these guys are strong!

I had a day like that a couple years ago. Went out about noon for a 62 mile ride I've done many times, but that day it was 97 and very humid. I had plenty of water and 1/2 way through the ride I stop at a gas station and refill with ice, water, and drink a sport drink. I would be fine I thought, what could go wrong? About 45 miles into the ride, heading home I started to feel kinda sick and didn't have energy for anything but soft peddling. I knew exactly what was happening, but was out in the grid (west of Chicagoland) and there is no shade. The last 15 miles took me a couple hours. I was hurting pretty bad. I will ride in the heat and humidity, but I won't do that distance again. My trick now when it's that hot is to get on the mountain bike and ride trails in a wooded area close to my house. Much better!

Glad you are ok.
Wow Wayne, a couple of hours to go 15 miles... Yikes! That is riding seriously "wounded"!

You have to be a cyclist, hiker, or something similar to understand; but when things like this happen when you have no option except to keep going hindsight has a strange way of dismissing the risk and turning it into a "war story" you're proud of - that being your ability to survive extreme conditions.

Scott

Glad you are all well and good probably because you are so Heat adaptive and conditioned for it I believe it is the reason you made it home. The average person would be lying on the road no doubt.
I live in the cold north and give myself 10 days as summer heat comes on pushing and getting out in it but I know I'm training for the heat of the summer as i do love riding in it.
I know many who ever had a heat related event that it can and will effect you the rest of your life when exposed to extreme heat and more likely to have another event again.
I'm really glad you made it home and you knew it was really getting real for you and the sense you were at that limit not the time for no pain no gain.
I'm not sure I would have showed my wife the actual temp lol I would have been given a ear full.
Happy pedaling Ride on Ride on.

I'm convinced that one can maintain a excellent level of fitness at any age. It may take some active supplementation to maintain muscle strength and adequate blood flow.
Age...

Same at my gym. I always feel a little bad when I have to reduce the weight after an 70-80 year old guy leaves an exercise machine. I'm more of a high-reps-to-failure-on-low-weight kind of guy (reduce joint stress) but man these guys are strong!
Age...

I played pickle ball with a guy who I thought was maybe 75. A bit slow but not bad. Smart and wisecracking the whole time.

90 years old
Age...

Although at age 69 I've lost some of my raw power and speed, put me on a bike against a 25 year old for a long distance ride, say, 100+ miles, and it's game on. Age forces a person to use their mind as much as their body. Age can defeat youth one little bite at a time.

Scott

Age 69. I like my chances against youth...
IMG_3004.jpeg

Although at age 69 I've lost some of my raw power and speed, put me on a bike against a 25 year old for a long distance ride, say, 100+ miles, and it's game on. Age forces a person to use their mind as much as their body. Age can defeat youth one little bite at a time.
One of my cycling buddies is a world class cycling physiologist and a very accomplished endurance rider. He taught me pretty much everything I know about endurance cycling. If you understand how properly care for your body and manage your power output carefully, you can whip the pants off of any rider who just want to hammer. On a century ride, you'll pass them at about 75 miles and their tongues will be dragging on the ground. You'll be cruising along below your lactate threshold and smiling as you taunt them that you'll wait for them at the finish line. This scenario happens frequently.

dry sauna.
that bottle volume does not look like much.... maybe a hydration bladders ?
I was out for a quickie, but I hear you. If nothing else, a second bottle or Camelback would have provided me an additional safety net.

Scott were you riding alone? I know you're an experienced rider, but there may be other days where that will happen. I'm sure it would be hard for you to stop riding, but you may need to slow it down a bit. If you passed out it could have been fatal with cars coming by and not paying attention.

Glad you are ok.
A lot of my riding is alone. I usually file "flight plans" with Sue before I leave, but yesterday makes me a bit more conscious of the risks of riding solo when I'm way out in the middle of nowhere where there are no people or cell phone service. In these areas I can ride for an entire hour and not see a single person or automobile. In fact, last summer I was on my Cypress Mountain loop and saw two big, honking brown bears walking in the creek beside the road. Let me tell you, that had a pucker factor,

Scott

Reactions: JC1
there's heat prostration then there's exhaustion and finally heat stroke. Pick.
/OR/
Not.
As we get older we're supposed to get smarter. One Hundred & Fifty degrees in Spain last wk...
A foreigner told me how they cooked egg in a pan out in the yard, no stove use.
As said above U R now more susceptible. Plez use care. Thnx for the story (4 others 2 learn on).

One of my cycling buddies is a world class cycling physiologist and a very accomplished endurance rider. He taught me pretty much everything I know about endurance cycling. If you understand how properly care for your body and manage your power output carefully, you can whip the pants off of any rider who just want to hammer. On a century ride, you'll pass them at about 75 miles and their tongues will be dragging on the ground. You'll be cruising along below your lactate threshold and smiling as you taunt them that you'll wait for them at the finish line. This scenario happens frequently.
Yes, Wayne!!! I have seen it many times myself.

I rode the Marin Century last October. Besides the gorgeous inland countryside and Hwy 1 coast, the Marin County riders are always a fast and capable group. Give them a chance and they'll hammer you into submission with a smile. But this year the ride seemed especially difficult for some reason. I've done 50+ centuries in my life and I have NEVER seen so many riders either stopped or walking. At one point about 60 miles in there was a half mile long 15% grade. When I rounded the corner and saw what was ahead I heard scary sounds in my head from that old movie, "Psycho". Haha.

There was a solo rider ahead of me, about 100 feet or so. I could tell he was a capable young buck riding an expensive bike, but I was slowly gaining on him on the climb. And then out of the blue he stalled and fell over sideways and landed on the pavement. We looked at each other in sweaty, red faced silence while I rode by in grim determination.

To the non-cycling crowd this might sound less than enjoyable. But if you're a cyclist doing these kinds of things, they become priceless memories.

Scott

The afternoon inland portion of Marin
mc1600x700-2020solo-recovered.jpg

Last edited:
of death'n destruction, the joy of winning and an over supply of testosterone.
8^ 0
dont 4get the name of this thread~

Last edited:
Back