I did something stupid today

I am an experienced long distance road cyclist. Three California Triple Crowns (a series of double centuries, most mass start and timed) and two PAC Tours (1,000 mile per week crossings of the continental US).

One of my strengths has always been riding in heat, even today at age 69. But today I stupidly - but accidentally - pushed the limits of safety. There is a heat advisory for today and I got a late start because of a morning dentist appointment. I was only going out for a quickie; 20 miles with about 1,800 feet of climbing; short but you're working for it.

The first hour and 85% of the climbing was toasty and about 100 degrees. I ride in those temps fairly often so everything was good. But then on the last 30 minutes on the final stretch home it felt like the broiler was turned on. It was like a dragon was blowing flaming breath down the roadway. I’ve never felt heat like that before. I actually remember thinking, Holy cr** !!! I felt okay but was soft pedaling, just in case my body was suffering more than I thought. I saw 117.3 at one point but didn’t stop to take a pic.

Riding in heat doesn’t bother me, but this was too much. Way too much. Just laying on the roadway would be enough to roast a person alive in 5 or 10 minutes. I’ll ride on warm days again, even hot ones, but not like this.

Sue is absolutely furious with me right now, and rightfully so.

Scott

IMG_6890.jpeg
IMG_6881.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh wow, that's brutal. Motorcyclists know better than just about anyone just how badly the pavement and surrounding areas can heat up the local air. Even with 90 something degree temps (generally tolerable) it's not unusual to see 110 on an honest thermometer. And for that heat to be very localized in nature. Get off the highway and on to the tree'd backroads and temps drop to ambient instantly.

It's good you are heat tolerant and know yourself well. I am not so lucky due to autoimmune disease. Still, I'm about to head out on my old Cyclocross bike and do a 2 hour evening ride. Wish me luck!! It's 90 right now here in South FL. Off I go! I ride on a nicely shaded path out to the highway, and back on the roadside. Generally pretty easy, no climbs!

You got away with one today Scott. I know where you're at, couple years behind you but riding my mountain bike well and a lot. Want to keep it going and not miss rides because in truth our riding well days are numbered at this age. Soft pedaling on a bike path may come but not a day sooner than I can prevent. I over extend miles and climbing sometimes but my motto is I want to ride tomorrow so nothing stupid. One bottle half full, is the empty one in you hand?🥵

A good friend of my wife and I who is age 74 returned home yesterday after a two day stay in the hospital for heat stroke. She's a petite person, maybe 90 lbs, physically fit, and is an avid walker. She had been gardening and doing yard work in the heat of the afternoon when she felt really sick. A worried friend found her in the house an hour or so later and incoherent, so it was an ambulance ride to the hospital. Gave us all a scare. She's still feeling rough, but improving.

These summer afternoon temps are no joke. Glad you're o.k. Scott.

A good friend of my wife and I who is age 74 returned home yesterday after a two day stay in the hospital for heat stroke. She's a petite person, maybe 90 lbs, physically fit, and is an avid walker. She had been gardening and doing yard work in the heat of the afternoon when she felt really sick. A worried friend found her in the house an hour or so later and incoherent, so it was an ambulance ride to the hospital. Gave us all a scare. She's still feeling rough, but improving.

These summer afternoon temps are no joke. Glad you're o.k. Scott.
I'm glad your friend is feeling better. And, thanks.

You got away with one today Scott. I know where you're at, couple years behind you but riding my mountain bike well and a lot. Want to keep it going and not miss rides because in truth our riding well days are numbered at this age. Soft pedaling on a bike path may come but not a day sooner than I can prevent. I over extend miles and climbing sometimes but my motto is I want to ride tomorrow so nothing stupid. One bottle half full, is the empty one in you hand?🥵
It's funny you mention that. On today's ride I was actually wondering how much longer I will be riding bikes. My thought was, "No reason I can't do this when I'm in my 80s." It sounds like you enjoy riding as much as I do. I'm a task oriented person who has a difficult time relaxing. I get bored and antsy on vacations. Riding a bike is the only time I can actually relax, even when my legs are on fire and I'm gasping for air. Cycling is the only time I enjoy a total Zen. I am loathe to think about the days when I can no longer ride.

Scott

It's an important topic - thanks for sharing. If we listen, we can tune in to the clues the body gives us. In my case it's when peripheral vision starts to go. That's when I must stop immediately and rest in the shade. If I don't stop there, it narrows to tunnel vision and I start to lose color before passing out.

Last year at the OTGG, Day 5 was the longest day, the hottest day, the highest altitude day, and the biggest climbing day, and the steepest climbing was in the last 30% of the day. Those stalwart cyclists who made it to day 5 started to melt in the afternoon at the start of that last climb despite plenty of water & aid stations. We saw the same thing at La Ruta - Gringos melting in the central american heat & sun.
... Cycling is the only time I enjoy a total Zen. I am loathe to think about the days when I can no longer ride. ...
Same here. As for Sue, at least you can tell her you learned something...

It's an important topic - thanks for sharing. If we listen, we can tune in to the clues the body gives us. In my case it's when peripheral vision starts to go. That's when I must stop immediately and rest in the shade. If I don't stop there, it narrows to tunnel vision and I start to lose color before passing out.

Last year at the OTGG, Day 5 was the longest day, the hottest day, the highest altitude day, and the biggest climbing day, and the steepest climbing was in the last 30% of the day. Those stalwart cyclists who made it to day 5 started to melt in the afternoon at the start of that last climb despite plenty of water & aid stations. We saw the same thing at La Ruta - Gringos melting in the central american heat & sun.

Same here. As for Sue, at least you can tell her you learned something...
Those are BEASTLY rides. Congrats on your considerable skills! Awesome!

In my defense about today, I have never before felt such a rapid onset of extreme heat like I did today. One of the concerns I had was ending up on the pavement somehow. I honestly think a person would be roasted alive in just 5 or 10 minutes. And I was worried about my tires overheating and blowing off the rims.

Scott

Glad to hear you're alright, listen to momma next time. :D
She knew I was heading out and had no problem with that. My mistake was showing her that 114.6 temp and confessing to being a bit woozy when I got back!

As I said, I have never in my life felt such a rapid onset of extreme heat. Thank God I didn't ride my Cypress Mountain loop. It would have taken me 90 minutes to get back from my furthest point out, and when back there you descend into a canyon and must climb your way back out. That would have been a problem. Only a very, very few live back there and cell phone service is nonexistent.

Scott

Last edited:
2 weeks ago, I discovered that Gator-ade tastes great when you have dehydrated yourself after a 5 mile hike over broken terrain. Up til then, I couldn't handle the gross taste. I'm 71 with COPD.

I had a day like that a couple years ago. Went out about noon for a 62 mile ride I've done many times, but that day it was 97 and very humid. I had plenty of water and 1/2 way through the ride I stop at a gas station and refill with ice, water, and drink a sport drink. I would be fine I thought, what could go wrong? About 45 miles into the ride, heading home I started to feel kinda sick and didn't have energy for anything but soft peddling. I knew exactly what was happening, but was out in the grid (west of Chicagoland) and there is no shade. The last 15 miles took me a couple hours. I was hurting pretty bad. I will ride in the heat and humidity, but I won't do that distance again. My trick now when it's that hot is to get on the mountain bike and ride trails in a wooded area close to my house. Much better!

Glad you are ok.

Last edited:
Back