I did it. I went & bought a 2015 Malibu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Nice! I like the color. We love ours! You will enjoy it.

Congrats OP/Eosyn!

May I ask both of you, how is the looking-out-back visibility?

Thank you all for the posts. So far, the wife has been driving it for 4 days now and no complaints. I get to take it to work tonight and tomorrow night. Got to drive it a little yesterday. I must say, the ride is ultra smooth. I literally went over potholes and bumps to test it and the vehicle passed with flying colors (as compared to our Corolla and Celica). We love the smooth ride, spacious interior, power and the auto stop feature. Oh and the remote start is wonderful! We love everything it has to offer, I'm just hoping that I won't be let down by their quality and dependability like I was back in the late 80's - early 90's. To answer a few questions:

Originally Posted By: Huie83
Nice car, I like this body style and interior much better than the current generation. If I needed to shop for a replacement for our 2010 Impala, this would be it. That 2.5 engine with the 6 speed is a great combo. Congrats!

I agree, though I would have loved to have the current gen's headlights on the '15s body. Those headlights just look "mean." Would have been awesome with my Malibu's tail lights. Yes, the 2.5L engine mates perfectly with the 6 speed auto. The engine is so quiet, even when I have the pedal to the floor and the engine is "screaming."

Originally Posted By: Throt
Love the exteriors on these. The interiors not so much. But all-in-all a nice looking car! 13,000 with 31k miles. Excellent! It's got at least 150,000 miles left in it.

I sure do hope this Chevy will last a long time. Not too fond of their quality in the past but hoping that 20+ years later their quality and reliability is much better.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Being that you live in Michigan, I'd invest in some Husky or Weather Tech floor mats

She came with all weather floor mats, all 4!

Not sure if it'll stand up to your suggested Husky or Weather Tech, but will look into it, thanks! PS: it was snowing a little in this picture.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Nice! Does it have the start and stop feature? I drove a rental a couple of years ago and really liked the feature. Didn't think much of it in the beginning. But, it got excellent mileage.

Yes sir, it does have that feature. It stopped and started so seamlessly that, at first, my wife and I didn't even notice. Then I looked at the tachometer at a stop light and the needle was pointing to the "Auto Stop" marker. It's an awesome feature and we love it. Not sure how much fuel it will save us, but a nice feature nonetheless.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Are there any parts on that car which have "SAAB" embossed on them, or is that completely over?

Might a turbo engine option still be the SAAB engine?

No clue but haven't seen anything "SAAB" on or in it.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Nice! I like the color. We love ours! You will enjoy it.

Congrats OP/Eosyn!

May I ask both of you, how is the looking-out-back visibility?

That is a great question! Glad you asked. When I first turned around to look out the back window, all I could see was the sky. It's rear-end is high off the ground and the way the back window slopes, I couldn't see anything out the rear by turning around and looking out. However, I could see everything in the rear-view mirror after adjusting. I must also report that checking my blind-spot, as the driver, is nearly impossible. To remedy that, I have my driver-side mirror adjusted to compensate so I don't need to check my blind spot.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Well done! And still time to buy her something else that fits under the tree.

Hahaha good one!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Throt
Nice car, I like this body style and interior much better than the current generation. If I needed to shop for a replacement for our 2010 Impala, this would be it. That 2.5 engine with the 6 speed is a great combo. Congrats!

When the current gen came out I was truly disgusted. But they've really grown on me and it was a solid contender against the Sonata in my sig.

Honestly, besides the looks, i'm not sold on the 1.5 turbo engine they are putting in the current gen Malibu. A close friend has a Cruze with the 1.4 turbo (same engine design) that has had lots of issues with only 73K on the odo. It's leaking oil from the front variable cam unit, the oil feed tube for the turbo is leaking and the turbo is starting to sound like it has marbles rolling around in it. I'm thinking the turbo is on it's way out. These are also known for having various plastic issues for pieces used on the engine such as the thermostat housing leaking or cracking early.

It's a shame because the car drives really nice, the power from that 1.4 is surprising. I was just shocked when I popped the hood to take a look around and found leaks all over. And not small ones, think the whole underside of the car covered in oil type of leaks.

This is wrong. The old 1.4 turbo in the 1st gen Cruze is from the GM Family 0 engine designed by Opel and has gone through multiple revisions. Well known for bad PCV system, turbo failure, cracked heads, etc. Overall a good engine though, most have GM's older 100,000 mile warranty so no big deal (now GM only offers 60,000 mile powertrain). The new 1.4t in the 2nd gen Cruze and 1.5t in the Malibu are brother engines in GM's all new Small Gasoline Engine family, also designed by Opel but brand new from the ground up. Nothing about the old 1.4t applies to these engines other than the displacement. The electric thermostat is gone, PCV system redesigned, new turbo manufacturer, and a bunch of other huge improvements.

Last edited:
UPDATE: So I bought this Malibu 16 days ago, then yesterday, I got a call from my bank and the conversation went like this:
BANK: So when are you going to use the pre-approved loan to purchase a vehicle?
ME: I bought a '15 Malibu on Dec. 5th.
BANK: Oh? We don't show a record of you having a car loan.
ME: Awesome!
So I told her the dealership and the salesman's name and she is trying to contact them. So I was thinking as I got off the phone, after all the emailing and negotiations, (as of right now) they sold me the vehicle for $500 (my deposit). Man, I did Great!
happy2.gif
LOL.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Did the dealer extend you their own loan instead of using your bank?

No. They tried to get me to go through their bank, but I told them I was going local, had been pre-approved and all ready to go. I gave them the bank's info and everything was good. I think the dealership forgot to send in the paperwork to the bank. I'm liking this dealership more and more
laugh.gif

Last edited:
UPDATE 2:
So I went and talk to the bank today and she said the dealership never sent in the paperwork and she left them voice mails 3 times to straighten things out and, so far, no reply from the dealership's finance dept. She said, she's done all she can do, it's all up to the dealership now.
This has never happened to me. If the dealership never turn in the paperwork to the bank so they never get paid, can they (dealership) come after the car? Would I be in any kind of legal issues?

Originally Posted By: Eosyn
UPDATE: So I bought this Malibu 16 days ago, then yesterday, I got a call from my bank and the conversation went like this:
BANK: So when are you going to use the pre-approved loan to purchase a vehicle?
ME: I bought a '15 Malibu on Dec. 5th.
BANK: Oh? We don't show a record of you having a car loan.
ME: Awesome!
So I told her the dealership and the salesman's name and she is trying to contact them. So I was thinking as I got off the phone, after all the emailing and negotiations, (as of right now) they sold me the vehicle for $500 (my deposit). Man, I did Great!
happy2.gif
LOL.

I wonder what would have happened if you said you were still thinking about it instead of saying you already purchased one?

I highly doubt you will be have any legal worries as none of this is your fault. Enjoy the car and don't let the dealer bully you around if something comes of it.

Nice car, BTW.
cheers3.gif

I was seriously eyeing one up as well before we got the Lexus.
The lady friend insisted we got something that was a "color" and it needed to be sporty.
So we ended up with a red is350.
Kids on the streets seem to thing it's pretty nifty. I think it is too. Looking fwd to my first oil change. Never owned something with such a large oil capacity
12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back