I can't explain it but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find myself preferring M1. After seeing how well it worked going 11k in a friend's car (the maligned 5w30 of all grades!) I got 3 cases of it when Costco had the special. I can't show you superior UOAs or anything. Oh yeah and for the Iron numbers, I'll just compensate by sticking old hard drive magnets on my oil filter (also M1)

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
I find myself preferring M1. After seeing how well it worked going 11k in a friend's car (the maligned 5w30 of all grades!) I got 3 cases of it when Costco had the special. I can't show you superior UOAs or anything. Oh yeah and for the Iron numbers, I'll just compensate by sticking old hard drive magnets on my oil filter (also M1)

No need to explain, M1 should be fine.

27.gif

I see no problem using M1, don't believe all you read here and all the theories against it. I had no qualms with it over 8+ years.

Originally Posted By: Anies
I see no problem using M1, don't believe all you read here and all the theories against it. ...
+1
thumbsup2.gif

I used it in my Santa Fe for almost 100K KM's (60K Miles) and had 0 problems and good UOA's.

No worries, sleep well!
thumbsup2.gif

M1 5W-30 is working great in my Mazdaspeed 3, and the UOAs are bearing that out.

Quote:
Oh yeah and for the Iron numbers, I'll just compensate by sticking old hard drive magnets on my oil filter (also M1)

thumbsup2.gif

This could create a whole new platform for debate if it was widely adopted. Ferrous Accumulation Quotient (FAQ for short). One could then boast or discount the result (like metals in UOA depending on your position about the oil in question) and engage in conjecture/speculation about things like Gauss density in whether it exacerbated or masked the results ..whether someone cheated by using a drain plug magnet in addition to a filter magnet ..

..and I used the stuff for almost as long as Tig
grin2.gif
Use away!

I don't mind iron getting in the oil but I'd like to keep it from recirculating and magnets seem perfect for that. Either way, it's such a small amount of iron.

While I now use Amsoil I used 5W-30 M1 on three (3) Chev. S10 Blazers for over 500K miles (total between the 3 Blazers) w/o any issues. Ran 12K to 15K between changes. The 4.3L V6's were all in very good shape when I sold them. Too bad I could not say the same about the bodies (lots of rust). I have gone back to using 5W-30 M1 since it is approved for use by Briggs & Stratton in their engines and is about half the price of B&S's synthetic.

You don't have to apologize for using M1!
It has always been very good.
It's just that nowadays, there are many equally fine oils.
M1 does not stand out as special.

You can always use the used M1 as an iron supplement for the wife if she has a problem with low iron. 1-2 tablespoons should suffice.
Marketing has a tremendous draw upon consumers. No doubt about that.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
You don't have to apologize for using M1!
It has always been very good.
It's just that nowadays, there are many equally fine oils.
M1 does not stand out as special.

I agree.

27.gif

Quote:
You can always use the used M1 as an iron supplement for the wife if she has a problem with low iron. 1-2 tablespoons should suffice.
Marketing has a tremendous draw upon consumers. No doubt about that.

04.gif
36.gif

32.gif
lol.gif

You won't suffer using it as the engineers who designed your cars have apparently figured out how to make them last with Mobil 1 in the crankcase.

Of course they may take their secrets with them to Porsche leaving Mazda and Toyota to fend for themselves :).

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
You won't suffer using it as the engineers who designed your cars have apparently figured out how to make them last with Mobil 1 in the crankcase.

Of course they may take their secrets with them to Porsche leaving Mazda and Toyota to fend for themselves :).

No, M1 is Anti-Porsche. Just ask the Porsche Master Mechanics who spend hours at Tracks and then the 996s have to be towed off the tracks with $5000+ in Engine work with special Porsche tools, due to the M1.

Its popped up several times in a lot of M1 threads regarding Porsche. Surprised it didnt in this one. (Probably because its about a new engine and development, not old engine and production.)

49.gif
and
18.gif
and
23.gif

At least this is the impression im getting.

Last edited:
I was joking...sorry.

Honestly. I can't see a product like Mobil 1 killing Porsche engines.

Most likely if this is happening, it's a design flaw and they didn't catch it and the car just happened to have Mobil 1 in it.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
...Ferrous Accumulation Quotient (FAQ for short)...

I notice the Mobil 1 website does actually has an "FAQ" section, so they must be aware of their horrible, super rapid engine disolving problem.

27.gif
29.gif

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
...Ferrous Accumulation Quotient (FAQ for short)...

I notice the Mobil 1 website does actually has an "FAQ" section, so they must be aware of their horrible, super rapid engine disolving problem.

27.gif
29.gif

Its only the mechanics of one brand that say that. We dont believe them.
lol.gif

M1 oils are taking a real beating right now on BITOG, but no oil used here gives longer engine life or cleaner engines than M1.

Last edited:
Tig, I have a 22 yr old Cutlass that my Father used nothing in but Mobil 1 5w30 in since its first oil change. The only "difference" is now I use the M1 5w30 "HM" version of the same oil. The engine performs strongly and flawlessly. Some folks just seem to have to worry about "something" I'm certainly not losing any sleep over the iron "Issue"..OH, BTW, I also use Mobil 1 in my 18HP Kohler garden tractor engine :)

Originally Posted By: tig1
but no oil used here gives longer engine life or cleaner engines than M1.

I don't believe that you can say this, Tig. I submit that any oil changed in a timely manner will make an engine last as long and stay as clean as M1. You don't have the original 32 year old car that you threw M1 into "back in the day" ..and you'll not have this car into the 500k range. You'll never reach its end of life without defect or neglect. Neither will anyone else with any other oil. I don't care if it's Amsoil or SuperTech. If it's approved for the engine and changed at appropriate intervals, there's really no advantage of one oil over another.

Just ask Doug Hillary. He'll tell you that there is no such thing as magic oil. He ran side by side with competitors running conventional oil while he used the galactic flagship of HDEO's Delvac 1. He maintained his and his competitor's fleets and saw no SIGNIFICANT difference in engine life. What he managed was much less down time due to oil changes. He managed about 4X the mileage out of the sump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back