I Am Tired of Hearing Thicker is Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ali,

As I understand it.

1) fuel dilution will naturally cause viscosity thinning due to the mixture of a low viscosity fluid (fuel) with a higher viscosity fluid.

2) Fuel in the oil will volatize. Some will be recycled through the combustion chamber and burn off. Some non-volatile components will be left behind as solids. These will tend to thicken the oil.

3) Fuel chemical interaction with the oil will cause increased oxidative thickening. For some oils, this thickening will tend to offset the thinning due to fuel dilution.

4) There are some highly active aromatic hydrocarbon molecules in fuel that do nasty things to some oil and VII molecules, snipping the long chain molecules apart. This seems to happen with some oils that use VIIs and causes what Terry Dyson calls chemical shear or aromatic damage to the oil.

5) Fuel is a solvent, and as such will soften the tribological additive layers on the bearings. This softening or washing causes an increase in additive depletion and increased wear of some bearing metals in some engines.

As a side note, if fuel does indeed cause aromatic damage to the VIIs, that would also subsequently cause a reduction in HT/HS, since HT/HS is primarily adjusted using VIIs in many oils.

Quote:

Quote:

DR.,
have you ever considered doing the ferrari driving experience?

http://www.experienceferrari.com

I am very familiar with all the Ferrari And Lamborghini events, especially being an officer of the Ferrari Owners Club.

aehaas

ok, being familiar with "events" doesn't mean you have done it. all I asked is have you ever considered doing an event like that.

I have the $8500 to do it, but not a ferrari. It seemed like a interesting article in Motor Trend, was just wondering jeez! someone with your stature and success would have the opprotunity to be able to do something that most folks wouldn't!

I don't see the relevance of all the oil testing in a super sports car that gets driven 90% of the time as a commuter car in city traffic (hearing of which tires or rather bores me to tears). I'd spend more time driving on appropriate roads and I'd cut down on the theorizing. But everybody needs a hobby!

I can't believe nobody said this but ok here goes........."Thicker is better"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

"I don't see the relevance of all the oil testing in a super sports car that gets driven 90% of the time as a commuter car in city traffic (hearing of which tires or rather bores me to tears). I'd spend more time driving on appropriate roads and I'd cut down on the theorizing. But everybody needs a hobby! "

There is no Autostrada in the US so there is no high speed driving. I do like to burn rubber though. Nothing makes me happier than being the first person stuck at a red light. If the speed limit is 45 or 50 I like to get up to it in less than 2 seconds or so. Then there is the feel of cornering like you are on rails. One has to like the sound and yes, I do at times walk out to the garage just to look over the cars. It is kind of looking over your collection of coins, dolls, antiques and the such.

I gave up racing years ago. I will only go to the track if I am the only car on it. I drove the Maybach some years ago over at Sebring and that is what hooked me on that car. It was not the features as a luxury car.

I have considered Ferrari track events, yes.

aehaas

"I Am Tired of Hearing Thicker is Better"

Take 5 gallons of RLI 0w20 and call me in the morning!

Honestly, I did order 5 gallons of RLI 0w20 now that I'm completing my Royal Purple 5w40 experiment. I hope it makes you feel better!

From the Redline Oil Site Australia, recommendations of oil grades are based on climate and use (towing etc) for both the motor and transmission. The recommendations are a 2004 model 3800 V6 Holden (Buick V6) and 4LE60 Auto Transmission.

Motor GM 3800 V6
Select your closest climate range. For -10°to25°C use '5W30' or 5°to35° use '5W40' or 15°to50°C use '15W50'. (* For Towing and Severe usage use 10W40. Advantage Option in Racing Only use 40W Race Oil) @ 4.8 Litres = 6 US Quarts

Auto Transmission GM 4LE60
Select your closest climate range according to where you live. For -10°to 25°C use D4 ATF, 5°to35°C use D4 ATF or (* For hot climate 15°to 50°C or towing use HiTempATF. Advantage Option for Racing Only use 'Racing ATF'.) @ 7.0 Litres = 8 US Quarts

It is interesting to note the 10W30 grade has been dropped.

Virginoil

thanks to Google, i have learned that there are several Madine Jansen's out there....and they all look thick enough to be in my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back