I Am Tired of Hearing Thicker is Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my neighbor’s 2003 Ferrari Enzo with a total of 8,800 miles on the left column and my 2003 Enzo with a total of 3,000 miles on the right column. Both cars had 1,400 miles on the oil. His obviously had more break-in time. He had the oil changed by the Ferrari dealer using the required 10W60 Shell Helix Ultra Racing oil. I ran 0W30 Castrol GC.

The recommended interval is 5,000 miles, less if on the track. This is strictly off track use in town and on the highway, probably 50-50 for his car and 90 percent city for me.

His oil was tested by: youroil.net, while I got the full, total evaluation from Terry Dyson.
................................................................................................................

_____________Shell....GC
Iron___________ 32...11
Chromium _____ Nickel ___ _______ 2...1
Aluminum ______11...3
lead __________ 16...0
Copper ________25...8
Tin ___________ Silver ________ Titanium ______ Silicon _________ 7...3
Boron __________ 1...3
Sodium ________ 8...3
Potassium ____ Molybdenum __ Phosphorus __1026...935
Zinc ________ 1135...1228
Calcium _____ 1454...1671
Barium _______ Magnesium ___1219...526
Antimony _____ Vanadium ______ Fuel %Vol _____ Abs Oxid ______34...10
Abs Nitr _______11...8
Wtr %vol ______ Vis CS 100C __ 15.8...11.8
Vic CS 40C___not done...66
SAE Grade _ ___40...30
Gly test ______NEG...0.37 “not antifreeze”
TBN _________not done...7.9

The next oil going in is Renewable Lubricants 0W30. It is even thinner than the GC.

aehaas

Sorry for the repost but I think more people need to see this.

What happened to the MC 5W-20 you were running in that Ferrari? Let me guess; the thicker GC 0W-30 provides better wear numbers than the 5W-20, right?
grin.gif

Quote:

What happened to the MC 5W-20 you were running in that Ferrari? Let me guess; the thicker GC 0W-30 provides better wear numbers than the 5W-20, right?
grin.gif

He never ran 5w20 in the Enzo.

I don't disagree with your postulation.

I just don't think these two UOA's are overwhelming proof. Such different oils, such different driving styles. To me it proves these engines, like most other engines, don't like polymeric thickeners as lubricating agents.

I suspect that Ferrari specifies 10W-60 in case an owner somehow manages to drive the car as hard as it can be driven, which is very hard indeed. I don't endorse using it that way on public roads, so don't misunderstand me. I suspect that the running viscosity of the GC is around town driving could easily be as high as the actual running viscosity of the specified 10W-60 oil when the vehicle is driven at 80% or more of it's capabilities. The viscosity vs. temperature curves for even the best quality motor oils are pretty steep.

Quote:

Thicker is not better in my opinion.

That's true, but depends entirely on which engine and what the situation is. I've read countless posts where a guy goes from 5W-20 to 5W-30 and have remarked on quieter operation. Not all 5W-20's are bad, but I certainly would not recommend one for an application where the manufacture recommends xxW-30 weight.

Quote:

Dr_No, you spew out just as much
spam.gif
as I do.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Brilliant reply..2750 posted one liners with lots of emoticons. Again, brilliant.

Doc, any chance the lower wear #'s on the iron, etc. are due as much to the high zinc and calcium as to the vis? Can't find a VOA on the 10W60, but it's an interesting comparison. Outside of completely controlled conditions, I can't imagine how on different vehicles and brands of oil this constitutes proof thinner is better, but it comes closer than "my car runs smoother on thicker oil" statements. At least the hard numbers give a little more substance to ponder than the instincts of the butt-dyno. In any case, spam it ain't.

Agreed Merka. In my case - 5w20 makes the engine noisier but a heck of a lot smoother. GC 0w30 (heavy 30 weight) makes the engine a bit more rough - specially on idle - but sounds a ton smoother. Both produce good UOAs in my engine.

But yep, agree 100% with your statement.

I am going to put the 0W20 salad dressing in the Lamborghini that is currently using the 5W20 Red Line. Note that in any engine going to a thicker oil will in one way make it more quiet. The thicker oil on the inside surfaces will act as a better sound buffer. Going to a thinner oil can only make it more quiet by some other method. The Murcielago was delivered with OEM 5W40 Agip, the engine was very noisy. I changed to 0W30 Mobil 1 and it became more quiet. Then I changed to the 5W20 Red Line and the engine is almost silent, it is definitely soother as well. This is the car I was considering use of the Motorcraft.

Both Enzos are exactly the same but for the mileage. Both cars had short trips on the race track before our ownerships. We drive at the same locations. His car had one long highway run from Orlando back to Sarasota. It is a 3 hour trip - but I think it only took him about an hour. The only difference in driving habits is that he hits the gas a little sooner than I do. I mean he does not wait until the oil is fully warmed up. But he hates to drive the car at sustained top RPM whereas I like to do this after oil temperature stabilization. I am not sure what his oil temperatures are running but mine usually run around 180 F all year long.

aehaas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back