Hyundai Paint Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Generally, I think most environmentally friendly process paint jobs aren't particularly good and I've seen 40K and up vehicles from several brands where the paint job didn't appear to be much better than what's on the cheap and cheerfuls. That said, my six year old Hyundai metallic paint seems to be holding up pretty well with no issues other than some small chips in the front bumper area.

The base coat is usually water based, the clear is the nasty stuff.

I think the paint on those outlasts the car
smile.gif
Locally seems to be case.

I have a 2010 Genesis Coupe in Interlagos Yellow. It sees a lot of time parked in the brutal sun, so as expected it has *slightly* faded, but my only gripe with their paint quality is on the plastic parts that are particular to special editions. I have the track edition, which has different door handles, mirrors, and rear spoiler. All of those items are contracted out to a third party, painted to the same code (but not standard) and sent to Hyundai. All of those parts have very little clearcoat on them now.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
This is anecdotal, but don't buy a car manufactured in California if you care about paint quality. Supposedly the CARB regulations stipulate the use of inferior paint solvents that lead to issues later on.

Just anecdotal. Not fact. You decide.

Waterborne paint isn't a CA thing. Mercedes switched over to BASF waterborne paints in the 1990s and the Detroit 3 switched over to PPG and DuPont's waterborne primers and basecoats just after Mercedes did. Guess who had problems with paint delamination in the 1990s?

Body shops are also switching over to waterborne paint systems - it matches OEM colors better, applies faster(in the right conditions), and cleaning up is simpler, not having to pay to get as much solvent hauled away as HAZMAT is also a plus to body shops.

I own a 2017 Elantra Value Edition, in the Mineral Beige color for 14 months now and the paint appears perfect to my eyes. No swirling at all or marring. But than again beige is a VERY easy color to maintain looking great and swirl free!

I don't generally get involved in these threads, but I will this time. 5 to 10 year old cars? The paint should be good. With little to no issue.

Come talk to me at 15 or 20 years old. I am not trying to be a smart a.. Just saying, when you say a 2013 or 2015, your paint should be awesome. I expect a 10 year old car to have really good paint to. I guess it also depends on how well you take care of it.

Here it the truck. 16 years old sits outside everyday of its life and gets direct sun all day.

The WS6 was daily for 9 years. Something to tune of 500 1/4 mile passes and it is 18 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back