Hyundai/Kia drain plug failure

I received this in an email today at work for anyone who may be interested

Kia & Hyundai Drain Plug Failure - Alert!

• Please proceed with caution when performing an oil change on Kias and Hyundais.
  • We have seen a number of instances of Kia and Hyundai drain plugs falling out after an oil change leading to us needing to replace customer's engines. It appears the metal construction of the oil pan is inferior. When driving on the freeway, the pain heats up and expands thus allowing the drain plug to work itself out causing immediate engine failure.
  • As always, we should check for visible signs of wear/damage and ensure that we don’t double gasket the drain plug or oil filter.

I've been changing the oil on an old Elantra for 22 years. I've never stripped a thread or lost a drain plug in all these years. The pan isn't any less quality than any other aluminum pan I deal with.

Use a fresh gasket, torque to spec, and send it. It's not rocket science but it probably shouldn't be trusted to a monkey either.

I received this in an email today at work for anyone who may be interested

Kia & Hyundai Drain Plug Failure - Alert!

• Please proceed with caution when performing an oil change on Kias and Hyundais.
  • We have seen a number of instances of Kia and Hyundai drain plugs falling out after an oil change leading to us needing to replace customer's engines. It appears the metal construction of the oil pan is inferior. When driving on the freeway, the pain heats up and expands thus allowing the drain plug to work itself out causing immediate engine failure.
  • As always, we should check for visible signs of wear/damage and ensure that we don’t double gasket the drain plug or oil filter.

Do you think it is appropriate to use a clickbait title? :mad:

Who you work for that sent out that email?

The local KIA dealer did the recall test, changed the oil, and installed the orange dipstick in our 2013 Optima. 5.000 miles later, I went to change the oil. I could not budge the drain plug. I took it back and made them do it. I let them know if they messed up the oil pan, it was on them. No, I didn’t pay them one cent. I was highly agitated.

Back