Hyundai/Kia 26350 2S000 filter cut open.

Off a 2023 Hyundai Sante Fe 2.5T, 635 miles. Filter sat for a couple weeks to dry out. Some fine aluminum and the black pieces appear to be paint. Thought they might be silicon but don't feel like it. Sent a sample to Blackstone to check factory fill and compare it to the other guy who posted his turbo 2.5 uoas on here not long ago. Excess glue on this one is far less than the ones I recently posted up.

IMG20231015201705.jpg

IMG20231015201649.jpg

IMG20231015201625.jpg

IMG20231015201437.jpg

IMG20231015201510.jpg

I'm drying a filter right now & I'm seeing some of those white pieces too but yours has a lot more of them. Do you think that's from cutting it open media debris or was that already in there before cutting.

Some fine aluminum and the black pieces appear to be paint.
Are you sure those are aluminum flakes? They could be if this is the first oil change and the engine is breaking in, but I've never seen that much break-in debris in any new engine I've had. BTW - a UOA will not detect metal particles larger than around 5-7 microns.

Are you sure those are aluminum flakes? They could be if this is the first oil change and the engine is breaking in, but I've never seen that much break-in debris in any new engine I've had. BTW - a UOA will not detect metal particles larger than around 5-7 microns.

I went back out and looked. The aluminum are small slivers that would barely show up on the pics. Only a few of those. No idea what the white flakes are but the break up easily when scraped up. The black I do think is silicon as you can roll it in your fingers without it breaking up. Uoas I just did to see what factory fill viscosity was based on that other guys report.

What? When I send in oil to Polaris Labs, I get as high as 70+ micron.

What? When I send in oil to Polaris Labs, I get as high as 70+ micron.
They may use a different test method. Different test methods can see more particle size range than others. Blackstone's test can only see 5-7 microns and smaller. Does Polaris reference which test method is used?

Back