Hydro boost leaking, Should I try a seal kit?

The power steering pump ran low again and started making noise. It leaks oil on the ground right next to the drivers side tire. Looking at a couple youtube videos, it looks pretty simple, well a half day job for me probably because I'm slow. This is for my dodge 5.9 cummins. Should I just buy a new hydro boost pump or just buy a seal kit and replace that one seal in the middle?

I've always wanted to rebuild a power steering pump, but what concerns me is the noise that develops when low on fluid. Isn't that bearing related? Seals are not going to stop a worn bearing, or am I wrong when looking at it from this perspective.

I've always wanted to rebuild a power steering pump, but what concerns me is the noise that develops when low on fluid. Isn't that bearing related? Seals are not going to stop a worn bearing, or am I wrong when looking at it from this perspective.
That's just the noise it makes when it sucks air. It's cavitating. Apparently the power steering pump feeds the hydro boost, so the hydro boost pump leaks at the seal, which eventually causes the power steering pump to run low on fluid. The power steering pump is fine, the hydro boost is part of the braking system that they use on bigger vehicles I believe

That's just the noise it makes when it sucks air.
Yes, but some pumps continue to make noise once the fluid has been replenished, maybe it's too late for just a seal at that point. I'm aware of what Hydro-boost is, I would try replacing the seal if I were in your position.

Yes, but some pumps continue to make noise once the fluid has been replenished, maybe it's too late for just a seal at that point. I'm aware of what Hydro-boost is, I would try replacing the seal if I were in your position.
Not this one. Running the reservoir low is much different than running out of fluid.

The power steering pump ran low again and started making noise. It leaks oil on the ground right next to the drivers side tire. Looking at a couple youtube videos, it looks pretty simple, well a half day job for me probably because I'm slow. This is for my dodge 5.9 cummins. Should I just buy a new hydro boost pump or just buy a seal kit and replace that one seal in the middle?
I'd advise doing your own rebuild. The quality level on replacement / rebuilt stuff is all over the map these days, unless there's a known good source for these.

Back