Hybrid Engine vs. Stop-Start Engine

So we just purchased a 2021 Hybrid Kia Niro. My question is the difference between a hybrid engine that stops, and stop-start tech that I've seen on vehicles. I can hear them turn over, similar to a normal engine. Are hybrid engines the same? My concern is the (possible) constant use of the starter and not having oil being constantly flowing. Is the hybrid engine start up the same as the start-stop engine? I've been doing research on this and cannot seem to find a consensus. This purchase was my wife's spur-of-the-moment decision.

The Niro has a really strange hybrid drivetrain. It uses the generator in the engine bay as a belt-driven starter. It should be more durable than a conventional starter motor.

I don't know about Kia Hybrids, but my '20 Camry Hybrid does not have a conventional starter motor at all. The transmission in the Camry connects two electric motor/generators and the engine by a planetary gearset. One of the electric motor/generators puts the engine into motion via the gearset whenever the engine needed to either help move the car, or to recharge the hybrid battery. When it's reasonably warm out (ie; when the Li-Ion battery is at its optimum operating temp), the car usually begins moving from a stop by the larger motor/generator, and the engine will seemlessly get spun into operation by the other motor/generator after the car is in motion. Way different than any starter-based stop-start system I've seen/heard.

Most fuel economy is LOST as soon as you hit the gas to take off from a stop. The second most fuel economy is lost while idleing. Start/stop takes care of the idling part, the hybrid system takes care of the "taking off" part.
Trust the fact that KIA knows how to design cars and enjoy the improved economy.

Hybrid puts much more stress onto the ICE compared to S/S since it'll get full load instantly even when cold.
Perhaps, but there are loads of >200K-mile hybrid Toyotas with ICEs that seem to be coping adequately with whatever "more stress" is created.

? I would argue that fuel economy is gained when you take off from a stop.
Fuel CONSUMPTION (gallons per minute) is highest when accelerating, especially from a stop. But even if a car gets horrible MPG while accelerating, it's still higher than the 0 MPG you get while idling. But accelerating and idling are the two conditions where MPG will be the lowest.

So we just purchased a 2021 Hybrid Kia Niro. My question is the difference between a hybrid engine that stops, and stop-start tech that I've seen on vehicles. I can hear them turn over, similar to a normal engine. Are hybrid engines the same? My concern is the (possible) constant use of the starter and not having oil being constantly flowing. Is the hybrid engine start up the same as the start-stop engine? I've been doing research on this and cannot seem to find a consensus. This purchase was my wife's spur-of-the-moment decision.
Hybrid will typically do regen braking and have a big enough electric motor to move the vehicle alone or with the engine on. Stop start just have a bigger starter so the engine can shut down during traffic light. It won't run electric only at slow moving traffic, it won't charge the battery when you slow down, and it won't use the starter to help accelerate with engine running at the same time (so your engine is moving the car alone vs sharing the burden with an electric motor that can be as high as 100hp).

Last edited:
Hybrid puts much more stress onto the ICE compared to S/S since it'll get full load instantly even when cold.
No, if done right a huge portion of the acceleration is done with the electric motor as well, so you can downsize the engine or not stress it out. In the end it depends on whether it is a mild (like the big truck with a 48V beef up belt drive starter) or full hybrid (big electric motor and big battery like Prius and Volt).

My concern is the (possible) constant use of the starter and not having oil being constantly flowing.
Starter of typical cars are not designed to drive it, it is weaker and won't be used often. Hybrid is started by a real driving motor that are designed to drive for the life of the car (say 250k miles), they are likely brushless and water cooled, and up to 100hp in size. You cannot compare the 2.

What I have seen so far is when the electric motor "start" the gas engine it will spin it for a while before injecting fuel and ignition start, so by the time it is running the engine it is already "coasting" and spinning, very easy start, not dry, oil already pumping.

No, if done right a huge portion of the acceleration is done with the electric motor as well, so you can downsize the engine or not stress it out. In the end it depends on whether it is a mild (like the big truck with a 48V beef up belt drive starter) or full hybrid (big electric motor and big battery like Prius and Volt).

Thought we were talking about full hybrids that are able to run shorter distances electrically. When the battery gets low or the electric motor alone isn't sufficient for acceleration and thus the ICE is started it very often has to run hard from the beginning. I am aware that manufacturers use to take certain measures to reduce the resulting wear. Uprated (eg DLC coated) bearings can't fully avoid increased wear, they just reduce that increase in wear. You can't use exotic = costly materials across the entire engine.

I really find it hard to believe that there is so much confusion about these two systems. They've been around for a long time and I think that the advantages and differences of each system would be well understood by now. Disregarding of course all the different implementations by various car manufacturers. (Volt and Prius are entirely different for example)

I will give you this though, during idle you are getting 0 mpg, so why run the engine.

Hell, California is about to ban drive through windows for that very reason!

Back