HVLP spray gun used for spraying latex paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here ever used a HVLP spray gun to spray latex paint? Was planning on using floetrol to reduce the paint to make it easier to spray. Just want to know what mixing ratio worked best. 4 parts paint to 1 part reducer or some other ratio.

I've done it, with my top of the line Titan machine. I wouldn't attempt it with a cheap HVLP sprayer. Floetrol and a little water works very well. Make sure you strain the paint. The mix ratio is something you have to do trial and error depending on what brand of paint you are using. What are you spraying? Flat or Semi Gloss? Trim? Semi sprays better. Make sure you are using the right tip [bigger is better] for latex paint and the machine and gun are up to the task or don't even bother.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I've done it, with my top of the line Titan machine. I wouldn't attempt it with a cheap HVLP sprayer. Floetrol and a little water works very well. Make sure you strain the paint. The mix ratio is something you have to do trial and error depending on what brand of paint you are using. What are you spraying? Flat or Semi Gloss? Trim? Semi sprays better. Make sure you are using the right tip [bigger is better] for latex paint and the machine and gun are up to the task or don't even bother.

I am going to be spraying a dresser using semi gloss paint. I paint cars for a living, since I'm so familiar with using hvlp guns I thought I would try it out. But with an inexpensive model not my $600 guns I use at work. The dresser will be going in my soon to be born daughters room, that's why I want to use a water based paint and not the hazardous paint we use at the shop. I was looking at those electric spray guns, but don't want to spend too much cash on something I wouldn't use that often.

I didn't know you sprayed cars for a living. Now I know you know how to spray paint! With the right paint and gun you'll do an awesome job. Latex with a cheap gun is tough, they tend to spit, clog, or [censored] out. Trust me I've been down that road. Also latex paint on furniture is not that durable, oil is better.

I hear you about hazardous paint, have you considered an oil base trim paint like Satin Impervo? It will spray a lot better than latex will, once dry the paint isn't a problem unless someone was to try and ingest it, and that would hold true for latex as well. Thin it with mineral spirits, clean the gun with mineral spirits. Bring the furniture to the shop and do it if possible, the smell will stink out your house.

You can also take the piece outside and use spray bombs to prime and paint it with good results too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back