Huge jump in power bill after meter base replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I live, nobody actually comes out to read the electric meters anymore. They now use an automatic meter reading (AMR) system which transmits the meter readings electronically in real-time to the electric utility. The system also alerts them to power outages, and I was told that they can turn the home's power on and off using the system. These systems are in wide spread use throughout the country. Most of them use power line communication.

Originally Posted by wag123
Where I live, nobody actually comes out to read the electric meters anymore. They now use an automatic meter reading (AMR) system which transmits the meter readings electronically in real-time to the electric utility. The system also alerts them to power outages, and I was told that they can turn the home's power on and off using the system. These systems are in wide spread use throughout the country. Most of them use power line communication.

That's exactly what my electric meter does. It's read by them remotely. But they still charge for reading it. I've worked out the problem to be either in the meter or in the meter base. Having my derelict apartment management team hire an electrician to fix the problems will be like pulling teeth.

At our last house the electric company put in an electronic meter that read remotely. Several months later our power went out one night. Realized we were the only house out so called the power company, they sent a repairman out, he stood by the meter and talked on his phone to someone somewhere who was testing the meter remotely by computer. He was told to replace the meter. The guy is now a part changer.

Good luck. You have a usage history, the electric company should be involved in correcting this.

Scenario 1

Customer: My bill has tripled since you changed the meter
Power Company: I doubt the meter has anything to do with it sir. Are you sure you're not using more power? A lot of customers complain once the meter is changed but it is usually because it is more accurate.

Scenario 2

Customer: My bill has gone down by a factor of three since you changed the meter
Power Company: We'll send somebody out right away to take care a look at that for you sir!

Reminder, any large hidden load (such as a shorted wire) or mis-wired components, will cause all sorts of heat and smoke. It's extremely unlikely (although it has happened in some rare cases) that mis-wiring inside the dwelling is the cause of the excess consumption. As fire and smoke happen first. It's much more likely that someone else is using your power, "IF" the consumption is actually above what you should use.

The suggestion above is the right one: Turn off everything and watch your meter.

An interesting picture:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
I've worked out the problem to be either in the meter or in the meter base. Having my derelict apartment management team hire an electrician to fix the problems will be like pulling teeth.

The power company should be responsible for everything upto and including the meter.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Reminder, any large hidden load (such as a shorted wire) or mis-wired components, will cause all sorts of heat and smoke. It's extremely unlikely (although it has happened in some rare cases) that mis-wiring inside the dwelling is the cause of the excess consumption. As fire and smoke happen first. It's much more likely that someone else is using your power, "IF" the consumption is actually above what you should use.

The suggestion above is the right one: Turn off everything and watch your meter.

An interesting picture:

+1

I'd vote this is catch up from prior estimated readings.

From there we can explore bad meters, etc.

Don't think it would make a huge difference, maybe 20% max, but wonder if the new meter is measuring kVAh instead of kWh?

Got another update on the situation. After contacting the power company with no help, I contacted the illinois commerce commission, and they suspended the high bill, and are investigating the meter situation. I may still be on the hook for the charges, but now I'm getting a chance.

Originally Posted by Cujet

An interesting picture:

That is scary, where was that fault located?

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
Got another update on the situation. After contacting the power company with no help, I contacted the illinois commerce commission, and they suspended the high bill, and are investigating the meter situation. I may still be on the hook for the charges, but now I'm getting a chance.

Very cool, good luck, it would be great once you have an outcome to post it in here. Im curious, many people dont come back and post solutions *L*

Wonderful news!!!! My meter was switched up on the panel. Instead of 3's power being metered on the 3 panel I was metering 1's. It was a switcheroo. My bill will be averaged to a normal October bill. And my November bill will also be adjusted down. I'm so glad the utility company came out and diagnosed and admitted their mistake. If you have sudden problems about a utility, make sure to follow up and be diligent.

You nailed it calling the commission. A number of years ago an older friend couldn't make sense of the local taxes on his natural gas bill. He called the utility, they couldn't explain it, and were rude. Bad choice. He went to the public utilities commission. Found they were charging higher city taxes in the non-city county area. Also found they were doing this with thousands of houses, for many many years. He got a check for over $700 back. My back-of-the-bar-napkin calculations indicated they had collected over $10 million in excess city taxes they eventually had to refund. That is, I think they refunded it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back