Huge blueberries

Are these a special variety? Package says they are from Peru. Don't think I've seen them this big before.

IMG_2118.JPG

It must be that season, saw some huge ones at Trader Joe's tonight. Some of the packages had reasonably sized ones so I grabbed those.

I grew up on my grandparent's farm in New England. My grandmother was a nut. Even at 86 she tended to the blueberry shrubs. She MADE my grandfather build a chicken wire type fenced structure about 120ftx20ft wide just for blueberries. Their home was at the bottom of a mountain range where deer and birds would tear em up otherwise. Every few years she was invaded by a small, curious black bear. I grew up with guns from an early age and she hated guns for the most part.

She was the toughest old lady I've ever know and I fought a few bad azz b's as a cop in the ghetto. I was around 14 and a black bear broke into her blueberries. My grandfather wasn't home and she screamed at me to get my bow and get rid of it. I unwisely chirped what's the difference between a bow and a gun? Well, I tasted the back of her hand on that one. :oops:

Hard to tell with modern tech but well-tended, natural, organically fertilized shrubs produce some large and tasty berries. Grandmother would always go on about how important it was to start with the right shrub and propagate it without altering it artificially. I think she was right. She also had the most incredible strawberries and rhubarb.

I’ve noticed the blueberries are really big too. Not the same as the NJ or MI berries we usually get. They taste nice though.

I grew up on my grandparent's farm in New England. My grandmother was a nut. Even at 86 she tended to the blueberry shrubs. She MADE my grandfather build a chicken wire type fenced structure about 120ftx20ft wide just for blueberries. Their home was at the bottom of a mountain range where deer and birds would tear em up otherwise. Every few years she was invaded by a small, curious black bear. I grew up with guns from an early age and she hated guns for the most part.

She was the toughest old lady I've ever know and I fought a few bad azz b's as a cop in the ghetto. I was around 14 and a black bear broke into her blueberries. My grandfather wasn't home and she screamed at me to get my bow and get rid of it. I unwisely chirped what's the difference between a bow and a gun? Well, I tasted the back of her hand on that one. :oops:

Hard to tell with modern tech but well-tended, natural, organically fertilized shrubs produce some large and tasty berries. Grandmother would always go on about how important it was to start with the right shrub and propagate it without altering it artificially. I think she was right. She also had the most incredible strawberries and rhubarb.
Is your grandmother where you got your technique for easy to peel hard boiled eggs? Yours is the best I’ve ever tried and works every time. Back to large blueberries, I’m starting to see a lot of them in Jersey stores. They’re delicious, firm with a slight crunch/pop to them.

Is your grandmother where you got your technique for easy to peel hard boiled eggs? Yours is the best I’ve ever tried and works every time. Back to large blueberries, I’m starting to see a lot of them in Jersey stores. They’re delicious, firm with a slight crunch/pop to them.

No, Sir. The hard boil egg procedure came from a friend who is a chef and a graduate of Culinary Institute in Hyde Park, NY. I was complaing about how difficult some eggs were to peel and that was the answer.

I find the large blueberries don't taste great. We get them quite a bit (well, the lady buys them) and they taste less like blueberry and more like grapes. Just kind of a boring sweetness.

It's rare we actually get blueberries that taste like proper blueberries anymore.

Are these a special variety? Package says they are from Peru. Don't think I've seen them this big before.

View attachment 131583
Blueberries that large are cultivated highbush blueberries with light-colored flesh. Wild lowbush blueberries tend to taste better and they have more antioxidants. There are many different kinds of blueberries. Vaccinium myrtillus, which is a bilberry, is generally superior and recognizable by its darker red or blueish flesh, and it has a higher anthocyanin content. Bilberries are native to Europe and Asia and are a bit difficult to find in NA but they will grow here. Dried bilberries are widely available.

Back