How's your CVT holding up?

Not that we have lots of mile piled up on the two CVTs(Altima-63K & Civic-45k) in my signature but, they're holding up very well. With fluid changes on time(between 30K-50K) and will continue to do so during our ownership, I hope we have decent success with them.

I have had tranny issues in the past with shiftable trannies even when they were well maintained so again, I certainly hope for good success. I do like the feel of a CVT as I feel that they do just fine in the everydayness of life and normal driving.
The only thing that concerns me about the CVT is their reputation and that's all. Otherwise, they're just fine.

How'bout yours?

Those whom I know with Nissan CVTs have close to, or over 200K miles without doing a single fluid change before the tranny fails. They also drive easily. So, I figure if I change the fluid out on a regular basis and drive like a human being instead of like I stole the car, I should do OK. Same for the Civic.

they BETTER as replacement costs similar to an engine replacement $$$. like anything new the beta testers help sort out the issues $$$$$. i am a manual only guy + recommend conventional automatics as a second choice WHY take an EXPENSIVE chance for a little better mpgs + poor performance. my sisters 18 Impreza is a real PIG, not a dog because i love dogs!!

I'm beginning to think that Nissan's CVT issues aren't fluid related, but rather design related. This would explain why the 4 cylinders are having CVT problems but the 6 cylinders enjoy more reliability (I've been told by people that should know that they are different CVTs). Here's an interesting video that best describes the issues, in my opinion. It's a rather long video- feel free to watch it, and the others in the series, but in case you want to jump right to it, it starts at 35:10.

Had a 2008 Nissan Maxima with CVT. Sold around 130k and no issues with CVT. Drain and fills done often after 75k as it was sooo simple to do on that unit. Amsoil fluid came is 3 gal jug IIRC. The CVT in the Nissan was not anything I enjoyed driving.

2017 Subaru has the 3.6 so high torque CVT. This one is miles ahead of the Nissan. Very smooth and responds to the gas pedal well (at least as well as 256 horse can do (; I'm at 80k miles so a while to go before I can say it's been reliable. Fluid drop and fill done at 75k.

2009 Nissan Versa - Changed the fluid at a little over 60K. I am at about 105K now. Will change again soon. No problems so far.

It's my first CVT. Once I got used to it, I liked being able to cruise at low RPMs.

Bbhero on here has an 08 or 10 Altima V6 coupe with 308k on the original CVT. Four drain and fills since new with the first one around 280k.

It's not my personal experience, but there is a member at Maxima.org named LtLeary that has a 2009 SV with over 400,000 miles on the original transmission. He tells that he never does 100% throttle, drives mostly highway, and does change the NS2 fluid.

2009 Nissan Versa - Changed the fluid at a little over 60K. I am at about 105K now. Will change again soon. No problems so far.

It's my first CVT. Once I got used to it, I liked being able to cruise at low RPMs.

Yeah that's what is nice with the long-term-rental sentras. I made a round trip into town and back on the 2 lane and never got above 1500RPM. Got great gas mileage that trip!

Had a 2008 Nissan Maxima with CVT. Sold around 130k and no issues with CVT. Drain and fills done often after 75k as it was sooo simple to do on that unit. Amsoil fluid came is 3 gal jug IIRC. The CVT in the Nissan was not anything I enjoyed driving.

The 17 and now the 19 long term rental Sentra seem to actually have an accessible drain plug and fill port! I like it! IF we keep the 19 (was planning on buying the 17 but it got in a wreck) I'm going to be doing a D/F at 25k. It's 8 months old and has 2500 miles, so I doubt it'll wear out.

"hey BETTER as replacement costs similar to an engine replacement $$$. like anything new the beta testers help sort out the issues $$$$$. i am a manual only guy + recommend conventional automatics as a second choice WHY take an EXPENSIVE chance for a little better mpgs + poor performance. my sisters 18 Impreza is a real PIG, not a dog because i love dogs!! "

CVT's seemed to also be used in applications where cost containment or reduction is also a goal for the final product. I still think all of the bugs may not be worked out.

they BETTER as replacement costs similar to an engine replacement $$$. like anything new the beta testers help sort out the issues $$$$$. i am a manual only guy + recommend conventional automatics as a second choice WHY take an EXPENSIVE chance for a little better mpgs + poor performance. my sisters 18 Impreza is a real PIG, not a dog because i love dogs!!
My younger sister also has an Impreza with a CVT and it's slooooooow. She likes it so who cares.

I’ve got two cvts. 2012 Versa with 75k has had two drain and fills just recently. And 2013 Sentra with 53k still on original fluid. Versa benefited from the change. Slight slip at moderate acceleration from standstill has gone away. I’ve found that coming off a red light, for instance, I’m better off getting the rpm up and letting the car ‘catch up.’ You eventually get the feel for a cvt but it’s not the same as a regular trans. No real issues thus far.

I service a friends 2015 Altima. Bought at Hertz with approx 80K miles. CVT was never serviced.
I immeadiately did a spill and fill (dark dark brown). Then another in about 2 months; fluid looked better.
Once more at 110K miles; fluid looked pretty good. Almost 140K now; dang thing runs like new.
I used Valvoline and Castrol. All good.

Reactions: JC1
My family has a handful of CVTs- mostly Nissan CVTs paired with the V6 and then a Civic. I'd guess there's close to 600k miles combined and no one has had an issue with CVT. I will say that I use to be very anti-CVT and while I still would avoid a CVT if I were purchasing a new car, I don't think CVTs are any worse in reliability compared to standard automatic transmissions.

Back