How to use Techron effectively?

Status
Not open for further replies.
theres really no point in the wait until almost empty unless your car has a saddle type tank or subtsnks that is also defective where fuel doesnt properly equalize between the subtanks.

Even a gallon of fuel is a huge amount of liquid to to wash the fluid down the fill pipe your tank. and then after you drive the car a mile your deiving will have mixed the fuel.

A lot of times the increased smoothness is due to ucl not cleaning. Gas is inherently kept as cheap as possible so a vehicle often will be smoother on fuel with greater ucl. But it may not be a sign of cleaning or deposits. A tank or two after the treated gas the increased smoothness may go away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
theres really no point in the wait until almost empty unless your car has a saddle type tank or subtsnks that is also defective where fuel doesnt properly equalize between the subtanks.

Even a gallon of fuel is a huge amount of liquid to to wash the fluid down the fill pipe your tank. and then after you drive the car a mile your deiving will have mixed the fuel.

A lot of times the increased smoothness is due to ucl not cleaning. Gas is inherently kept as cheap as possible so a vehicle often will be smoother on fuel with greater ucl. But it may not be a sign of cleaning or deposits. A tank or two after the treated gas the increased smoothness may go away.

What in the world is ucl?

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Originally Posted By: raytseng

What in the world is ucl?

Upper Cylinder Lubricant/Lubrication

My older 5.3L has had a rough idle for about 3 months … Ran a couple bottles of Techron to no avail … Recently grabbed a mess of Regane PEA on sale ~ ran it in a tank … no change.
Ran second bottle in half a tank and before I needed gas again became noticeably smoother at idle …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
My older 5.3L has had a rough idle for about 3 months … Ran a couple bottles of Techron to no avail … Recently grabbed a mess of Regane PEA on sale ~ ran it in a tank … no change.
Ran second bottle in half a tank and before I needed gas again became noticeably smoother at idle …

In our experience here the newer LS engines need a clean throttle body and a clean MAF to run their best. I've seen amazing results simply spraying the MAF and TB well with cleaner and the blowing them dry with some air...

Yes … I clean TB with CRC spray and put a new MAF sensor on 2 months back...thanks

It was still running great … just was a bit annoying sitting at a red light etc

Last edited:
FWIW: After trying various cleaners over the years (older version of BG44K, various Gumout products, etc.) I decided to use Redline SI-1 (follow the directions) after many, many recommendations. Stuff works great in a single tank.

I only run Top Tier gas now and do the Redline SI-1 treatment once a year about 500 miles before an oil change.

Originally Posted By: johnchui1984
Hello everyone,
What is the effective way for using Techron? The motor has 40000 miles on it with zero use of non top-tier gas but recently the engine has a bit of random shaking when idling. Gonna try the chevron stuff to see if it helps.
Do I need to rev the engine to maximum speed more frequently for maximum cleaning? Is it better to add the stuff before or after doing an oil change? Any thing I need to note for using such kind of product?
Thank you,
John

40,000 mile vehicle, random shaking when idling... what is the maintenance history? Maybe the air filter is dirty, a spark plug has nearly fouled, or you have developed a vacuum leak somewhere? It happens. Just wondering why you are treating this slight rough running condition with fuel additive. I guess it would be the cheapest and easiest treatment, but also the additive may do nothing to help. Roll the dice if you want. But if it's really a problem, a proper diagnosis is my recommendation.
As for how to use the product, as another smarty pants said, follow the instructions on the label. Believe me, the manufacturer wants the product to be as effective as possible so that you will be pleased with the results and will buy more of their product. Just follow the instructions. If it says rev the engine (doubtful), then do that. But you should be revving the engine high once in a while anyway -- I'm not saying abuse, just work it through the "normal" rev range, it's OK to do this. The label should also tell you when to add the additive to your tank, and how much gas to add afterward.
Most "car people" tend to use use engine cleaning additives toward the end of the oil change cycle. The idea is, any dirt or carbon that is cleaned out and suspended in the oil will be drained shortly because you are near the end of the oil cycle. Given a choice, I would do this as well. But I don't think it matters as long as you are doing regular oil changes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back