how to test a gooloo / Lithium battery booster

I bought my first lithium jump charger - a gooloo 4000A. I decided I wanted to try it out, but couldn't figure out how. I decided to pull the battery in my Xterra, pulled the fuel pump relay so it wouldn't start - and nothing. All I managed to do was fry a fusible link - not sure what that was about, luckily it seems to have sacrificed itself instead of something important. Luckily I had a spare. My wallet is now $25 lighter due to that.

Is there a way to test this thing before I desperately need it?

The way they sometimes work, is they connect to a battery that has some potential. Mine won't connect unless there is a hint of power there. So, the only real way to solidly test it, is on a vehicle with a large, difficult to start engine, with a nearly dead battery.

They are not the same as simply hooking one battery to another. There are "smart" circuits involved.

You could disconnect spark plug wires, for example, and see how many seconds of cranking you get. It is generally not much.

Last edited:
The way they work, is they connect to a battery that has some potential. So, the only real way to solidly test it, is on a vehicle with a large, difficult to start engine, with a nearly dead battery.

They are not the same as simply hooking one battery to another. There are "smart" circuits involved.

You could disconnect spark plug wires, for example, and see how many seconds of cranking you get. It is generally not much.
Yes, I actually pulled the fuel pump relay because I didn't want it to start and try to charge without a battery.

I guess I should just be happy I didn't break anything other than the fusible link. I will stop using my working vehicle as an experiment now. Ha.

Yeah if equipped the Boost function is mandatory. It seems to bypass all the "smarts" and just puts out power no matter what. Unfortunately it only lasts for a short time before you have to press the button again.

Oftentimes you need to hold the button for a few seconds, and on some models you almost need a pocket knife or pen or similar to depress the sunken button.

I once started a campfire with my Noco when we realized we didn't have a lighter of any kind ;) I was able to create sparks tapping the jaws together-- and of course we had great kindling

Back