How to replace spark plug wires on mini-van engine!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
like the topic title says, how do i replace the 3 spark plug that are on the back of the engine? the 3 in front are easy

EDIT SPARK PLUGS.... not wires

If it's a ford windstar, you can get them from underneath (up & behind the engine), or you can take the plastic cowling & windshield wiper module off which will give you access to the whole back of engine compartment. If it's a GM van (3.1/3.4L), typically they remove the front (top) engine mounts & tip the engine towards the radiator with a hoist or jack.
G/luck
Joel

Any tranverse mounted V-6 is going to have this problem, among others. I do not own one, but it seems to be the most popular configuration in the US. Cheap to assemble, but expensive to fix. In contrast, the inline six in my BMW is a dream to service.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Any tranverse mounted V-6 is going to have this problem, among others.

No, not true. The rear three plugs on the transverse-mounted V6 in the Ford Contour can be accessed simply by removing the coil pack and that isn't even really necessary to get them out.

The plugs on that DOHC engine almost point straight up. If you're not vertically challenged, you can even see them.

It's actually easier to change the plugs in the V6 Ford Contour than it is to change them in the V8 Ford Mustang (1988 5.0 model--the presence of the smog pump plumbing on the rear passenger side makes r/r'ing the plug closest to the firewall a bit of a challenge).

The rear plugs on my 3.0 Caravan are easier than the front ones. Neither are truly challenging by todays standards, but the mobility of motion is greater on the rear ones. You can't see any of them (you have to pull the airbox) ..but remote viewing and having the two sides of your brain connected gets you through it. The fronts, OTOH just have a couple of things in the area that make them take longer (the angle makes the swing radius of the ratchet hits the rad, dipstick, etc.).

Now the wires on any vehicle seem to require surgery to get them back in the little clip holders and route them through their original paths.

what vehicle? They can be a pain on some minivans. The '90s chrysler 3.3l v6 was a pain. all done by touch, no sight.
mad.gif

Year? It's a 3.0 ..mine ..you unhook the air box lid ..loosen the clamp on the throttle body ..swing it out of the way (remove if you desire) ..undo the two bolts that hold the air box (slide harness clamps that are on the tabs that are attached to the air box that bolt the airbox to the intake ...feel around and pull the fresh air/crankcase vent intake tube off of the air box (bottom half) ..remove the bottom half of the air box. Now just follow the wires to the plugs. The pulley side is accessible through the altenator bracket ..and the other two are a snap. My 92 has recessed plugs ..other years do not.

Once you get through the learning curve of removing the airbox plumbing ..it's not bad at all.

Your results may vary
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back