New used mower added to the fleet

I was on the hunt for a cheap used mower to give to our daughter - shes out of town and has a couple mowers that really aren't ideal.. a Walmart cheapy that doesn't run and a fancy self propelled Lawn Boy that needs some TLC and probably a different owner 😂

I went to the local OPE dealer and inquired if he had any cheap mowers for sale - said that he really only had two that were usable.. Brought me back and showed me this and to be honest my mind just went a little blank. It's a Masport, a brand that he picked up after having some supply issues with Snapper. He said that he sold it a couple of years ago and then the guy elected to go battery for his yard.. He had his shop service it last year but he pulled on it this spring and it wouldn't start. Told me $150 and it was mine. I thought on it for a bit and agreed, but not with the intention of giving it away.. our daughter can have my mower, a Craftsmen push with a flathead Briggs that's rated at 6.5lbs tq and runs flawlessly.

The only thing that it doesn't have is the bag, but that's okay. When I got it home I smelled the gas in the tank which smelled fine, so I pulled the bowl and inspected - that was clean too. Put it back together and gave it a pull.. Started first pull! I did some mowing in our ditch where the grass was pretty tall, but not super thick and had no issues. This thing isn't hurting for power at all.

I got curious and looked the model number up to see what it would have cost and was surprised to see that it sold for mid $800 to just over $900!
PXL_20240508_020811118.jpg

$150 for a non-running mower? You get those on Facebook for under $50.
Maybe, if the owner has more dollars than sense.. This is an $800-$900 dollar machine with light use and I'd be pretty surprised that I could find that kind of deal as I have horrible luck.

Besides, I like the owner of this business - he's a pretty nice guy. I've worked on his vehicles some and we refer customers to each other, so I don't mind paying his prices when I'm able - in this case, he told me he's got $92 in it, so he's not making a killing off of me.

Maybe, if the owner has more dollars than sense.. This is an $800-$900 dollar machine with light use and I'd be pretty surprised that I could find that kind of deal as I have horrible luck.

Besides, I like the owner of this business - he's a pretty nice guy. I've worked on his vehicles some and we refer customers to each other, so I don't mind paying his prices when I'm able - in this case, he told me he's got $92 in it, so he's not making a killing off of me.
Not sure how easy it will be to get parts for a New Zealand mower to make it run, but as long as you're happy with the deal. I see this name brand Honda mower for $45,

Not sure how easy it will be to get parts for a New Zealand mower to make it run, but as long as you're happy with the deal. I see this name brand Honda mower for $45,
I'd consider that for our daughter, but like I said, I'm keeping this myself. That mower is just a cheap MTD with a low end Honda engine, so really, nothing special - no better, and maybe worse than the Craftsman that I'm giving her.

$150 for a non-running mower? You get those on Facebook for under $50.
Aluminum deck mowers as nice/expensive when new as this one and in this good of shape? I kind of doubt it.

My last few Facebook buying adventures have been Lawn Boys, and I have bought them off season for $20-50, but have also paid more depending on exactly what they were and what they came with beyond just the mower.

Granted it's been a year since I've bought any lawnmowers-I barely have time to use what I have these days, and have one under-construction project that I haven't touched since the fall. You'd really scream if you knew that particular project started with just a bare new old stock deck that I paid almost as much for as the OP paid for the complete mower-that one will be a nice mower when finished, and I went that route because I had everything but the deck to put it together(and the correct engine mounting plate-which I need to buy) and I couldn't find a complete one I'd have been happy with for anything close to what I have in this one.

Back