How to change your reputation !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
All we need for takeoff is the burn enroute, fuel to get to our alternate airport and 45 min of reserve fuel. Contingency fuel is not reqired.

Ummmm...aren't alternate airport +45 minutes contingencies in themselves ?

I'd have no problems carrying that.

Makes it much more clear,thanks.

Do you think pit stops in the Pacific, purposely underloading the plane or leaving crates of luggage at Dallas is indicative of sound operation ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
All we need for takeoff is the burn enroute, fuel to get to our alternate airport and 45 min of reserve fuel. Contingency fuel is not reqired.

I don't get what you're asking. Reserve fuel and contingency fuel are 2 different things and calculated different. Reserve fuel is a MUST and required per the FAR. Confingency fuel is not.

Sorry, when you were talking of 10 minutes of "contingency", I thought that it was "flight plus 10minutes".

I know now (that I've learned in this thread)that the "contingencies" of being diverted and holding are covered by "reserve" fuel, and "contingency" fuel is over and above reserve.

So when the Qantas guys were pitting in the Pacific, does that mean that they would have been chewing into their reserve, or genuinely wouldn't have made Oz ?

It's 1,000 miles from Noumea to Brisbane.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I don't get what you're asking. Reserve fuel and contingency fuel are 2 different things and calculated different. Reserve fuel is a MUST and required per the FAR. Confingency fuel is not.

To answer Shannow's question more directly, in aviation, contingency fuel is fuel added on top of trip fuel + alternate fuel + reserve fuel. Although we laymen may think alternate fuel and reserve fuel are for contingencies themselves, they are calculated as separate categories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back