how often do you see this...

and how is it common or how is it possible to have rollback on the odometer readings in cars nowadays!??

Case in point, I was browsing for some old pictures on my phone and I stumbled upon a couple of photos on my old car from back in the day; So I was curious how many miles it got over the years or even is it still out there somewhere, I did research online and it turned out it had rollback on the odometer readings done; There are records of the car all the way thru the end of 2018 then it disappears or sort of

I owned it from 2001-2010 and sold it with 224K miles at the time in 2010

IMG_3609.JPG

IMG_5987.jpeg

IMG_5986.jpeg

IMG_5989.jpeg

Last edited:
Mileage is stored in the instrument cluster on that and as far as I know, there is no backup stored in another module, a Corolla of that vintage only has 4 on the data bus and the engine controller doesnt even store the VIN let alone mileage. Its possible on that car that something failed in the instrument cluster and a used cluster was installed for a legit reason though in PA that would not be legal. Penndot issued an inspection bulletin last year or the year before that if the cluster/odometer is replaced it must either be set to the original mileage or must be set to zero and a decal placed on the drivers door jamb.

My little story:
Had a 1997 Jetta that rolled over its ODO at 300K km to 0 while word 'Total' disappeared in the ODO screen. So when I traded it in 17 years after buying it (brand new) it showed 75K km on ODO, you should have seen sales guy look on his face 🤣

Could also be that the instrument cluster was replaced with a used unit. They will need to disclose it when they sell the car.

I remember my father's old pickup rolled back to 0 when he hit 100k. He sold it with over 200k on the clock but the odometer read significantly less. He was honest about it, it was pretty obvious that old pickup had a long hard life lol

Back