How often do you have an internal corporate audit at work ?

How often do you have an internal corporate audit at work ?

I had one last week and the auditors were like Bloodhounds sniffing around trying to find problems.

🐶
The few problems they found were easily explained away….

Last edited:
We have an internal audit at least every three years by policy and typically every two.
They do look at the mouse (internal funds) very carefully and only lightly go over the elephant ( allocated spending authority).
This has always been amusing to me.

We're privately owned and have an external company do it once a year - we'll move to every two years.

What have they turned up after 20 years of this - nothing. We keep extremely strong checks and balances in place.

Statistically speaking it's almost always your best higher placed most trusted poeple that rip you off.

I conduct internal quality audits FDA regulations. They are always fun. I try to keep them drama free.

Worked for a Fortune Top 20 for 17 years. We had internal and external, including our friends at the FDA. Internal (corporate) were always more of a pain than when the FDA came poking around. One nice thing about all of the internal ones, we never had a major from the FDA, and probably only an average of 4 minors every time they showed up.

twice a year or so. Usually shortly after there is a customer complaint.(usually a missing or broken component)
The red tape is enormous. We have to sign this, checksheet that, and not only the paperwork, we have to enter it into a computer...they mainly go by the computer info, but have paper backup.
It takes me 30 seconds to fill out a form saying I read the abnormality logs. Even though I am the only one on the line, no downtime and runs only my shift... I have to read that I read the log yesterday morning, and sign....every single work day, red tape.

Worked for a Fortune Top 20 for 17 years. We had internal and external, including our friends at the FDA. Internal (corporate) were always more of a pain than when the FDA came poking around. One nice thing about all of the internal ones, we never had a major from the FDA, and probably only an average of 4 minors every time they showed up.

They have to find something even if very minor.

The bosses are supposed to be showing up next week.

I hope it's -60* so they rethink "well it isn't that hard" front their 70* office in the L48

The company I retired from is a tier 1 automotive supplier, so we had annual audits to TS16949. If I recall correctly, if previous audits met certain criteria, the next audit could be what was called a desk audit. Much simpler for everyone.

In preparation for the external audit each year, we had company auditors that would audit a plant to the same elements, a couple months before the external audit, to help make sure a plant was ready.

We also went through an ISO 14001 environmental audit, but I believe they were biannual. No biggie.

Then the finance department of each plant had their own audit every year.

On top of all that, a few of our customers weren't satisfied that our plants were TS16949 registered, and insisted on doing their own audits. GM is the worst. So we had to have all our systems audited to the GM system. BIQS (Built in Quality Systems) or something like that.

I worked as a Quality Engineer, so I was involved in all the TS16949 and GM audits, since I was assigned the production cells that built GM parts, and I helped out on the ISO 14001. So yea. Audits are part of life, working at an automotive supplier. Particularly if you work in Quality.

Depends on what type of audit you are speaking of. PHMSA apparently has us on a 3 year schedule so going through that again. Luckily I am not the point of contact for the area this time so I don't have to get on the pipeliners to fix their signs and listen to their excuses. The quality guys do all kinds of audits and since they made our test records online they like to be a pain on a regular basis. Feels like the financial side is always audited and watched. They make us manage our local budgets and make us forecast monthly now even though they never approve anything in a timely manner.

You reminded me of many of the audits we did within our own plant. There was a number of audits that were performed each week. We actually had a database that notified us of upcoming audits, and we had to fill in our findings for different elements. Being in Quality, I got my share of those. Some were easy to knock out, only taking perhaps a half hour or so. Others were a little more involved.

No formal internal audits, but two yearly external audits for 17025 and 17065. Normally not too bad unless you get an auditor who has always been an auditor and never an engineer, and thus no insight into how needlessly onerous non-critical things are and the real-world solutions to that problem.

I've been heavily involved in SOC-1 Type 2 annual audits on a few products for the past 6 years at my company, we started SOC2 this year but its a farce imo.

Annually for multiple clients and vendors but luckily they're easy.

Back