How often do you go out to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constantly. I'm single and have an odd schedule. Cooking a meal as a single guy might involve something with eggs, or a steak on my grill, or a Swanson dinner. I remember when I was a little kid, and my maternal grandfather was being put in the home after my grandmother died. I asked my mom why, since he wasn't exactly incapable of caring for himself. She said that he has to have proper nutrition, and all he cooks for himself are weiners and eggs, so a home is best for him. By that logic, I'm surprised she didn't put me in home when I was 25.
wink.gif
Then again, in university, she made it very clear that I would be living in a dorm.

As per 28oz's comment, yes, I'm known too well at certain restaurants here, too.

Way too darn much! Typically work out of town Mon-Fri and issued a per-diem via company credit card. It gets old after a while to be honest and most of the hotels we stay at we can't make our own meal. One of our co-workers drags us to the same typical steakhouse (Outback, Longhorn, Texas-Roadhouse, etc...) but when me and my friend (also coworker) are by ourselves we like to check out the local spots. We found several Irish places by the hotel in South Philadelphia we frequent when there. Hotel will shuttle us as well if we want to have a couple drinks. The one place pours a perfect Guinness and I can't help myself
grin.gif

Once a week,usually on a fri or sat night as a fun treat. I'd think doing it too often would make it lose its "fun appeal ".

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Once a week,usually on a fri or sat night as a fun treat. I'd think doing it too often would make it lose its "fun appeal ".

For some Chinese food?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

For some Chinese food?

Absolutely!!
wink.gif

It's way to costly to go out as a family so we rarely do it unless we're away or on vacation. My wife and very rarely get a change to go out, just the two of us. OTOH, at work, we order out all the time. Some is company provided, some not. Pizza, subs, Chinese and sometimes good catered in stuff.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Way too darn much! Typically work out of town Mon-Fri and issued a per-diem via company credit card. It gets old after a while to be honest and most of the hotels we stay at we can't make our own meal. One of our co-workers drags us to the same typical steakhouse (Outback, Longhorn, Texas-Roadhouse, etc...) but when me and my friend (also coworker) are by ourselves we like to check out the local spots. We found several Irish places by the hotel in South Philadelphia we frequent when there. Hotel will shuttle us as well if we want to have a couple drinks. The one place pours a perfect Guinness and I can't help myself
grin.gif

I agree with avoiding big chain restaurants.

I tell coworkers going to training in Milwaukee to go to Chicago with some colleagues and visit good restaurants in Chicago. If its on a company credit card you have to treat yourself to a very good meal.

I eat out about 2-3 times per month, usually a social outing with friends and/or family. Once in a while I will take myself out for a meal, usually if there's a special or coupon at a place I like (I am frugal, not cheap). Very rarely will I take myself out to eat and pay full menu price, maybe once per year around my birthday or something. I cook my own meals a lot, I like my own cooking very much, and I always bring lunch to work.

I also despise McDonalds. The worst thing is, McDonalds is how the rest of the world sees "American food" ... and then there's the obesity epidemic in our country. (P.S. I love Carl's Jr.)

I used to eat out maybe 6/7 times a year.

But after my move to Florida, I grab a pre-made lunch everyday of the week. Not a big fan, but it's recommended we don't pack lunch because of the chance of chemical residue on the utensils and such.

We rarely eat out unless traveling and even then we avoid the chains.
Too many people confuse quantity with quality and so the chains focus on lots of mediocre food rather than smaller portions of something really good.
OTOH, we walked to an Argentine steakhouse in San Juan one winter and ordered the mixed grill for two. This was very moderately priced at maybe thirty five dollars and they just kept bringing us food, more than we could possibly eat even though all we had had since an early breakfast was a few airline pretzels. They also had small rowboat sized Margaritas at a very reasonable price.
We left full, half drunk and ready for bed after a long day of travel, a big meal and a couple of oversized Margaritas.
On the mainland, any Asian place will feed you well for small dollars.

Do you guys have any rules about eating out?

I tend to not get Italian since I can make it at home just as good for about a third of the price.

Texmex is off the list because it's all just variants of rice and beans and meat and all the restaurants here are packed to the brim every night. Not worth waiting 30 mins just to get some tacos or enchiladas.

But that leaves Asian, BBQ, and more exotic foods as options like Ethiopian or Filipino. Burgers are also a restaurant item since the places that do them well can't be matched by my cooking skills.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Do you guys have any rules about eating out?

I tend to not get Italian since I can make it at home just as good for about a third of the price.

Texmex is off the list because it's all just variants of rice and beans and meat and all the restaurants here are packed to the brim every night. Not worth waiting 30 mins just to get some tacos or enchiladas.

But that leaves Asian, BBQ, and more exotic foods as options like Ethiopian or Filipino. Burgers are also a restaurant item since the places that do them well can't be matched by my cooking skills.

I tried some Indian food last week for the first time, never knew a bison steak was so good!

I eat out about 5 times each week,tonight at Cracker Barrel I had a cup of soup,side salad,roast beef dinner,with 3 vegges ,pot of tea.Beef was so tender i could cut it with my fork.Total cost $20.45.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
I eat out about 5 times each week,tonight at Cracker Barrel I had a cup of soup,side salad,roast beef dinner,with 3 vegges ,pot of tea.Beef was so tender i could cut it with my fork.Total cost $20.45.

I love eating Cracker Barrel this time of year when they have the wood fireplace going in the dining area. And after the meal you can do a little shopping for old time candies.

Quite often actually, I would say in any given month I eat out for lunch about 5 or 6 times, and dinner about the same. I always eat breakfast at home though
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back